what to use on black baldies

Help Support CattleToday:

mccabe226

Reaction score
just wondering what i should use for a terminal sire on true black baldie cows, a pure bred limo or an angus limo cross. also wondering if i did use a black limo angus cross would i get any red calves?

mccabe226":1a893k5e said:
just wondering what i should use for a terminal sire on true black baldie cows, a pure bred limo or an angus limo cross. also wondering if i did use a black limo angus cross would i get any red calves?
in >>>>>"""""""my market"""""" <<<<< for a terminal it would be charolais hands down

In "my market" I would not use an angus limi cross. I would use a purebred limi. If the limi was homozygous black you shouldn't get red calves. I don't know as much about them, but I've always been keen to the idea of a shorthorn cross too but I'm not sure you could avoid red that way and that wasn't your actual question. So . . . homo black purebred limi for me.

Maybe consider going back Angus on them and selling the heifers at a premium. On a good black baldy cow I'm talking herf/angus just about any breed will cross well.

Northern Rancher":1w74nxub said:
Maybe consider going back Angus on them and selling the heifers at a premium. On a good black baldy cow I'm talking herf/angus just about any breed will cross well.
you mean the real baldy... not the other ones running around dressed up like baldies :cowboy: ...your right,, about any of em will cross good

xbred":qrvk59de said:
i've got some dressed up like he real thing, and i can get a premium for them...if i drop 'em off at a saturday sale barn...
if its anything like our saturday sale i believe you,,, thats where every cull in north ala. come together in one mind and one accord
:cowboy:

Use a homo blk Gelbvieh bull and Maximize the heterosis with a true 3way cross. If they are mature cows they should be able to calve to almost anything so look for a bull with real high WW weights and don't need to worry a lot about calving ease. If I understand you right you are looking for pounds on the ground and that will for sure do it for you. Plus the Gelbvieh bull "should" have a good disposition.

Depending on where you are I might be able to suggest some breeders to talk to.

I would use a good Charolais bull... Mr. Fisher of Fisher Ranches was on the American Rancher last night and said there was no better cross than black baldies with a charolais bull.... Just my two cents...

3Way,
Do you use the Gelbvieh bulls? I am thinking and researching putting one on my herd of Angus and Char based cows. Your thoughts?

hillbillycwo":3t32himj said:
3Way,
Do you use the Gelbvieh bulls? I am thinking and researching putting one on my herd of Angus and Char based cows. Your thoughts?

I have a purebred Gelbvieh cowherd. My aim is to sell primarily Balancer bulls. Right now I am Ai'ing all of my cows either to the best(for altitude) Angus bulls I can find or to some top Gelbvieh bulls for replacements in my cowherd. I have an Angus bull(New Standard son) that I have used for the last 2 years for cleanup and have recently added a red Gelbvieh bull to use next year on my red cows.

The only thing I would caution you about is to make sure that if you purchase a Gelbvieh bull, and of course I think you should, that you buy one that does not carry the diluter gene. Honestly I don't know how it would react with the Char diluter gene.

I would say that if it were me depending on the percentage of Angus in the herd you could sure use a Homo Blk Balancer with good results.

hillbillycwo":2oy5n23j said:
3Way,

I've seen a lot of Char x Gelbvieh, it is a great cross. I wouldn't worry about the diluter gene, while they are different genes in each breed, they don't cause problems. And Angus x Gelbvieh is a good cross too.

WichitaLineMan":14jpc1dn said:
Well, once they were past their first calf, in my mind the best route to go is Charolais.

Gotta go with 3way on the gv bull. Have used gv twice on the ba cows and really like the stocky/solid calves.No pulls and both the bulls were quiet ( which IS a big deal ).

Toss up after that with char or limi around here, although xhar may have an edge recently.Depends on what size you are marketing as well.

Was thinking that the GV bull would be a win win for me. The added milk and capacity that they bring to the heifers would make some nice crossed replacements and of course the calf WW/YW gains would give great flexability to the steers going to the market or to the steers I am considering feeding out to sell as quarters and sides. When I have compared the GV to the Angus I am just much more impressed by the growth rates and appearance of the GV sired calves. They don't appear as boring to look at as the Angus calves and we have always used the LBW Angus bulls (probably still will on heifers).

Would the Balancer heifers be as acceptible for replacements as the GV? The replacements I have picked out now from the Angus/Char crossed heifers are full of capacity(compared to the others in my herd). I will breed them at 16 months and am leaning towards a LBW Angus bull for the first breeding but then again the BW/CE numbers for the GV bulls are very low in risk and I could go straight to one of those. THoughts?

hillbillycwo":pvo1jn7j said:
Was thinking that the GV bull would be a win win for me. The added milk and capacity that they bring to the heifers would make some nice crossed replacements and of course the calf WW/YW gains would give great flexability to the steers going to the market or to the steers I am considering feeding out to sell as quarters and sides. When I have compared the GV to the Angus I am just much more impressed by the growth rates and appearance of the GV sired calves. They don't appear as boring to look at as the Angus calves and we have always used the LBW Angus bulls (probably still will on heifers).

Would the Balancer heifers be as acceptible for replacements as the GV? The replacements I have picked out now from the Angus/Char crossed heifers are full of capacity(compared to the others in my herd). I will breed them at 16 months and am leaning towards a LBW Angus bull for the first breeding but then again the BW/CE numbers for the GV bulls are very low in risk and I could go straight to one of those. THoughts?

There's plenty of low birthweight GV and Balancer bulls out there. But do you need that. Breed your heifers for a good calving experience with the idea that those calves are terminal, breed your older cows for high gaining steers and heifers with good capacity. Avoid extremes wherever possible.

Just a thought I may start a fight with this statement but I believe strongly that you can breed the calving ease right out of a herd with calving ease bulls if you are not careful.

3waycross":g9aqqay5 said:
hillbillycwo":g9aqqay5 said:

There's plenty of low birthweight GV and Balancer bulls out there. But do you need that. Breed your heifers for a good calving experience with the idea that those calves are terminal, breed your older cows for high gaining steers and heifers with good capacity. Avoid extremes wherever possible.

Just a thought I may start a fight with this statement but I believe strongly that you can breed the calving ease right out of a herd with calving ease bulls if you are not careful.
me too,,

Latest posts