Suggestions on Angus bull to use ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
I have a Marcys Scale Crusher Heifer x Resource and 1808. AAA# 20509503. Any suggestions on a bull? I have Rainfall , Confidence Plus , EXt, Right Time , OCC Juneau , Bismarck sexed , Hoover Dam and a few others in my tank. I am also open to buying a straws. Thanks

I've never chosen a bull based on a name and pedigree... as much as the visual cues of conformation, and of course docility. So it's hard to advise anything without some good images of what you have to work with and images of the bulls you are considering.

What are the flaws and weaknesses in the animal you are breeding?

I would try Hoover Dam, based on EPDs.
JA Earthmover D21 AAA# 20509503
Born 11/20/2022 so I would wait several months to breed her.
I think her low scores are milk, claw, hair shedding (hs), and marbling. I like her growth. The birth weight to yearling weight spread is decent, but she requires a lot of feed.

Hoover Dam AAA# 16124994 is easy calving. The offspring should have less frame and, therefore, more feed efficient. There's a possibility Hoover Dam could improve milk, claw, hs, and marbling if the traits are passed to the embryo.

She is a nice bred heifer. Without evaluating her it is hard to give a good suggestion.
I will commit on a few of the suggestions. The Hoover Dam influence has worked well for us. We have used sons and grandsons. They have left some nice females in our herd. Many talk about Hoover Dam siring less frame. The ones we have used have had plenty of frame. Most in the 6.0 frame area. They are efficient and work well in a low input system. Very maternal and have growth.
I feel Bismarck under rated. Really like the Bismarck daughters.
We have used Stock Fund with good results. CFI Payout is one I looked at using on heifers.

Hoover Dam would make the pedigree unique. I am tempted to buy a Rito 707 straw?

Last edited:
She is a nice bred heifer. Without evaluating her it is hard to give a good suggestion.
I will commit on a few of the suggestions. The Hoover Dam influence has worked well for us. We have used sons and grandsons. They have left some nice females in our herd. Many talk about Hoover Dam siring less frame. The ones we have used have had plenty of frame. Most in the 6.0 frame area. They are efficient and work well in a low input system. Very maternal and have growth.
I feel Bismarck under rated. Really like the Bismarck daughters.
We have used Stock Fund with good results. CFI Payout is one I looked at using on heifers.
Interesting that you brought up frame. I have read a lot about CC7 siring a lot of frame and leg. I also have a CC7 in the tank, I have not used it due to what I have read about his frame size being a 7?

Interesting that you brought up frame. I have read a lot about CC7 siring a lot of frame and leg. I also have a CC7 in the tank, I have not used it due to what I have read about his frame size being a 7?
Have never used or had any direct progeny of CC&7. So can't comment about his tendencies.

What does your heifer look like? What are her strengths? What are her weaknesses? That's how you choose a bull. Pedigree means nothing if you breed two animals together with the same flaws.

Look at your animal and evaluate what would make her offspring better.

Post good pictures if you don't know what to look for.

What does your heifer look like? What are her strengths? What are her weaknesses? That's how you choose a bull. Pedigree means nothing if you breed two animals together with the same flaws.

Look at your animal and evaluate what would make her offspring better.

Post good pictures if you don't know what to look for.
Deep , stout and wide. She is still young. I will post a pic.

I have a Marcys Scale Crusher Heifer x Resource and 1808. AAA# 20509503. Any suggestions on a bull? I have Rainfall , Confidence Plus , EXt, Right Time , OCC Juneau , Bismarck sexed , Hoover Dam and a few others in my tank. I am also open to buying a straws. Thanks
If u stay in the cows line u cant go wrong.

Not seeing the heifer but just looking at the pedigree I would use Rainfall or OCC Juneau
Thers no way to tell what bull to use with out looking at the peg. If these heifers are kippers u need to breed back into the cow family to keep what u got if u breed out side the cow family you dont know now what you got if ur breeding for market calf find the bull with the fastest gain and nd u need to have a plan to breed into that plan. IF your breeding for keepers put on the cow and pick a bull out of the cow family u breed out u have know idea u might most likley wont like like what u get

Last edited:
Thers no way to tell what bull to use with out looking at the peg. If these heifers are kippers u need to breed back into the cow family to keep what u got if u breed out side the cow family you dont know now what you got if ur breeding for market calf find the bull with the fastest gain and nd u need to have a plan to breed into that plan. IF your breeding for keepers put on the cow and pick a bull out of the cow family u breed out u have know idea u might most likley wont like like what u get
(facepalm)

This was my thought too, looking purely at pedigree. However a visual often tells another story as I think @Travlr is correct in saying…breeding pedigree only, does not necessary check the right boxes.
I agree and never breed my own on pedigree alone however I did say not seeing the heifer and just going off pedigree's. I don't disagree with you or Travlr.

I'll buy all the CC7 semen you want to sell!! For the heifer, if you have heifer sexed Bismarck semen that's what I would use. Knowing my heifer is having a heifer as her first calf just makes all of life simpler for me. And he's a good bull on top of that.

Latest posts