Black Simmental

Help Support CattleToday:

Partly correct. The cows are yellow because they carry a diluter gene. Depending if the cow is hetero or homo diluted, all or part of the calves will be diluted grey, silver, mousy colored. If the calf did not inherit the diluter gene, then it would be hetero black.
Sorry - I was referring to the FIRST cross out of these yellow cows.

What kind of a price ding do producers get at auction per pound selling, say, a black #1 steer compared to the price of a #1 yellow, red or char cross? Solid color with no spots and marks that might possibly be from dairy or corriente.

Warren I understand your statement but have to disagree. The standard here is based on what sells most. Black is the predominant color so it is the standard. Any cost variance from type or color is a premium or a dock. I have white or smoky color so I see the dock. So far the char has given enough extra growth to even it out till I find the right black to give me same size.

What kind of a price ding do producers get at auction per pound selling, say, a black #1 steer compared to the price of a #1 yellow, red or char cross? Solid color with no spots and marks that might possibly be from dairy or corriente.
One person's "premium" is another person's discount. Premiums and dings amount to the same thing when they hit a bank account or are used to pay the bills. And twenty cents either way makes a huge difference when the inputs are equal.

Latest posts