“Black” Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

Nope. A Brangus is a breed that was developed from Angus and Brahma. The foundations of the breed were 5/8th Angus and 3/8ths Brahma. Only Brangus can be registered in the Brangus Association. But yes, people will call of these other crossbreds Brangus as well. I have even heard people call black, eared cattle with horns a Brangus. Some people call all black cattle Angus. Some people call all Criolo cattle Longhorn. YThey will call al;l; resonating guitars a Dobro. And all refrigerators a "Fridgidaire" At least here, people know when you say black baldy you are talking about Angus x Hereford. The other black cows with white faces are called black white faced cows or black bald face cows. And, if a red cow with a white face shows up, people will still call it a Hereford...even if it is red angus x Simm.
Stick to your imaginary Corriete herd. No one wants to hear yalls BS, again.

Why short gestation?

And calves are not black with white faces?
In New Zealand, most dairies milk seasonally and produce milk powder. They generally AI to dairy bulls at the start of the season and then turn out short gestation bulls to get the cows to freshen a couple of weeks early. They are obviously not marked the same as an angus cross hereford.

Look up the word, "colloquialism", and think about how that might be applied to the word, "Brangus". We were all calling Brahman/Angus crosses brangus a LONG time before any cross bred mutts were being "registered."
All of us were, huh? Well, the first Brah x Ang experiments were in 1932, and by 1949 the breed was stable, established, and the association and registry was formed. So, didn't know you were that old, but yes, I suppose one could have called them Brangus in that 17 years between when the first crosses were started, and the registry was open.

How much does she weigh, Kenny? Looks like you are feeding her good. What is she bred to and what was her first calf's sire? I haaave seem some Corrs with hoprns like that. And a lot of Flaq Scrub, Fla Cracker,. and Pineywoods like that. I have seen diary breed with horns like that as well. When people raise them for oc xen to be used at draft pulls, they almost always leave their horns intact, and they look like that.
She probably weighs 900-950 now. She has only had rough pasture. My cows dont get feed. First calf was black but not very good. I bought her in June with a 200lb calf.
She is bred to one of my homozygous black, homozygous polled Simmental bulls for a spring calf. Probably early spring looks like.

All of us were, huh? Well, the first Brah x Ang experiments were in 1932, and by 1949 the breed was stable, established, and the association and registry was formed. So, didn't know you were that old, but yes, I suppose one could have called them Brangus in that 17 years between when the first crosses were started, and the registry was open.
Thanks Warren... I didn't know the Angus crossbreeds were being registered that early. But the same thing goes for all the crossed brahman cattle. The names are all used colloquially regardless of what they are, Bramousin, Simbrah, or whatever. The only people that really care are the people invested in the "registered breeds". The rest of us just call them crossbreeds/Brawhatever.

This reminds me of how gun afficionados make a big deal out of magazine/clip, and suppressor/silencer... and half the time they are wrong and even when they are right we all know what people are talking about because we all recognize how colloquialisms are used.

Last edited:
She probably weighs 900-950 now. She has only had rough pasture. My cows dont get feed. First calf was black but not very good. I bought her in June with a 200lb calf.
She is bred to one of my homozygous black, homozygous polled Simmental bulls for a spring calf. Probably early spring looks like.
I wish I could see her head on,. from the side the head doesn't look much like Corr or LH. Tell ya what she looks like to me... a Mexican Fighting cow. Body shape, horn shape etc. There is a breed of them in that color. She looks a whole lot like the ones we got last year, only they were black. How is her disposition? Don't be surprised if she gives you one of your best calves this spring by that bull.

I wish I could see her head on,. from the side the head doesn't look much like Corr or LH. Tell ya what she looks like to me... a Mexican Fighting cow. Body shape, horn shape etc. There is a breed of them in that color. She looks a whole lot like the ones we got last year, only they were black. How is her disposition? Don't be surprised if she gives you one of your best calves this spring by that bull.
She is very calm with just me there.

They all look Corriente to me, except for number 84. She looks to be Corr x LH. They are all in really good shape, too. What do you breed them to?
I don't have any of them anymore but they were bred to a black baldy bull when I got them and I bred them to ultra black. The one with the biggest horn died of what I believe was Johnes, she had all the symptoms, another one died after calving problems. The calf got a leg and head out and other leg was tucked behind, calf already dead when I discovered it. Couldn't push it back in or pull it out with three of us trying so we cut the calf's head off and shoved it back in and was able to get the leg situated and pull it, cow died a few days later. The one closest I n the snow picture I ground up, she calved late when's bought her so she was only with a bull a short time before I pulled him so didn't breed back in time, she made a lot of good burger. The other 2 someone come along wanting more than I did so I sold them. They were a profitable set of cows even with 2 dying.

Well as usual things got a little heated. conversations were interesting an knowledgeable
All I'm going to say is it take knowledge, determination and long hours to accomplish. When breeder does most dont realize what it takes
Someone said luck well that plays true in the cattle business as a whole.

Attachments

• 26368 (1).jpeg
    26368 (1).jpeg
    261 KB · Views: 29
Well as usual things got a little heated. conversations were interesting an knowledgeable
All I'm going to say is it take knowledge, determination and long hours to accomplish. When breeder does most dont realize what it takes
Someone said luck well that plays true in the cattle business as a whole.
Looks awesome! Is he your bull, o-t-p?

Latest posts