What’s a good black bull worth ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd take 100 just like her , perfect udder , has raised an extra calf twice after their mothers died . Even if they are red ! 😜
Sounds like a great momma. She's more than earning her keep. The kind you want replacements out of.

Would you want someone to come catch her and load her?
No sir thanks for the offer . She's due to calve in a month or so and my son has said from the get go she's one that can die here . I think he fancies her horns once she dies . Plus last summer I let her lose an eye . I was out of the pneudarts for my dart gun . Don't think it was pinkeye , think she scratched it or stuck something in it . By the time I finally found darts it was bad . Thanks again for your offer . Guys response hit me the wrong way .

T

The rope and the horse are worthless without a rider that knows how to handle livestock respectfully.
That horned cow maybe a source of frustration, but it sounds like she has been paying her way.
people have been handling cattle with a horse and a rope for hundreds of years. You do have to know how to do it, but it is far from a lost art and there's a lot of folks that can do it

I have one of the best team ropers in the southeast in my community. Young man is called by anyone needing cattle caught . While it's frustrating that the ole gal won't go in the catch lot she raises a top calf and we have always caught her calf at weaning time . If we absolutely needed her caught it would happen !

Call me stupid and I'll come to supper, but why is that cow horned in discussions and polled (picture) all at the same time? :unsure:

If i am tracking along correctly, i think the horned cow being talked about is the mom of the cow pictured in this thread? I don't always track along correctly though…

The polled red cow is actually her full sisters daughter . Sorry if I said she was her daughter . The sister looked exactly the same and we took a beating when we sold her . Because of her horns they said she couldn't go down the chute in the kill pen ? Another reason we are hesitant to sell her .

View attachment 40172Here's the old girl in question . She's not mean or that wild , just smart ! She's just smart and wise . She knows folks disappear, cows , calves , when they go in that lot . You may also get poked and prodded and stuck with needles . Everyone else goes in for feed , but not her .
She looks like a real sweetheart.

View attachment 40172Here's the old girl in question . She's not mean or that wild , just smart ! She's just smart and wise . She knows folks disappear, cows , calves , when they go in that lot . You may also get poked and prodded and stuck with needles . Everyone else goes in for feed , but not her .
I don't blame you for not wanting to catch her and take her to the sale, She won't bring all that much, and if she is giving you a polled black calf every year, I'd just let her stay out there, too.