Thought this interesting, origin of polled Herefords?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Looking at some different breed websites I came across this statement that I thought was interesting.
Kind of surprised to see that a breed would acknowledge being part of influence of another closed herdbook breed.
I had grown up reading in textbooks that the polled Herefords came from a mutation within the breed. In more recent years I've questioned that and heard tell of speculation that it came from breeds like Red Poll
The Galloway statement caught me by surprise, but in thinking about it the real curly hair coats of Herefords along with the head and ear shape of some kind of makes sense.

I suspect whoever wrote that page took some "artistic license". If what they said was true, it would be common knowledge. WW2 wasn't that long ago. I was pretty sure that it was a known fact that the polled hereford were traced back to the late 1800s?

What the article is referring to is the British polled Hereford which used the Galloway to introduce the polled gene. The American Polled Hereford had its origins when Warren Gammon advertised looking for naturally hornless Herefords. He found around 14 animals and built the Polled Hereford from there. In hindsight it has been found that there were only three polled mutations total across all of Bos Taurus. Meaning that Gammon was either a fraud or defrauded.

What the article is referring to is the British polled Hereford which used the Galloway to introduce the polled gene. The American Polled Hereford had its origins when Warren Gammon advertised looking for naturally hornless Herefords. He found around 14 animals and built the Polled Hereford from there. In hindsight it has been found that there were only three polled mutations total across all of Bos Taurus. Meaning that Gammon was either a fraud or defrauded.
I did a search on that topic just now and found an article that stated just as you said that it was British Herefords which used red Galloway to get polled cattle.
It stated that American Herefords used Red Poll.
I tried to click on it and it was a paid article so I didn't see the rest of the writing in all its context.
Yeah, I don't really believe the polled cattle came through the Hereford breed much less to grow to the numbers they did.
Kind of like how Hereford and Angus both got real tall in the 80's

Well, it was 1975 when the 1st Chi-angus appeared at UGA's Ag dept. That probably has something to do with the increased Angus size a few years later, Reckon there were some Chi- Herefords floating around back then too?
Yes no doubt there were chi Herefords that were registered as just Hereford.

Latest posts