I had one of them there epiphanies this morning.....

Help Support CattleToday:

That's impressive. Does that allow for a hay crop, or is winter feeding not necessary ?
That's a good question. My reply to that would be that since it is/was/will have been crop ground in a former life, getting equipment over it is not/will not be an issue. With that many acres, at a minimum I would suggest taking a first cutting on haff to 2/3 of the ground and a 2nd cutting on 1/4 to 1/3 of the ground and then graze the hayfield/pasture after taking the cutting(s).

That's impressive. Does that allow for a hay crop, or is winter feeding not necessary ?
The place is a little over 450 acres. Nearly 400 will be pasture, and another 45 acres or so, is his bermuda hay field, which he irrigates. He will get 5 cuttings most years. He has a huge 150 by 300 equipment shed he kept his combines , cotton pickers etc in, He is getting a 4 x4 baler, and will store the hay in that shed. Most of us that don't overstock usually have to feed some hay from Dec or January until well into March. Just depends on the weather that year. Right now he has a few hundred round bales from this year's crops, so he is just going to not sell it all like he usually does, and keep some for the cows we are buying now. I think it will be 2025 before all pastures are fully established, but will be that long or longer, before he reaches the 250 cow herd he wants.

Latest posts