Pics of bull catch in chute (I hope)!

Help Support CattleToday:

is that gray gate what you use to let the cattle out from the alley at the headgate?
Not that one as it is a cattle panel for this old man to climb.
There is a series of gates at the head gate to turn back into the pen or into the lot and lock up at the head gate. There is 7 gates in that chute system.
IMG_0443.jpeg

There is a series of gates at the head gate to turn back into the pen or into the lot and lock up at the head gate. There is 7 gates in that chute system.
View attachment 37000
ok, i see. I am thinking about a gate on one side where the head gate is, to turn out the bull, etc. if I dont want them in the head gate. dont know if a regular tubular fence gate would be strong enough.

View attachment 37000
Is that a Corriente in the chute?

ok, i see. I am thinking about a gate on one side where the head gate is, to turn out the bull, etc. if I dont want them in the head gate. dont know if a regular tubular fence gate would be strong enough.

That chute system does that, there are 7 gates in that chute .
You can put an animal on the trailer, back into the working pen, in the recovery/sick lot or back into the pasture. You can't see from this picture that working pen has a total of 13 gates in it.IMG_2858.png

I kept wondering where the pictures were and how it worked out!
When we thought we were finished all except for the bull, we realize that he had open the pasture gate and let one more cow out to pasture. Him and her headed to the woods. I had an appointment at doctor that evening at 3pm and when we finished the cows it was after 1pm. No time for me to round them back up so they will get theirs next week. The only regret I have is I had enough Covexin 8 and cattlemaster gold and Once PM In to finish them up but not enough time to herd them back in. Hence that medicine once mixed had to be use when opened. So now it's to order a pneumonia vaccine, cattle master gold to finish up. I have a covexin8 on hand but it's for 10 doses. I only need two. Maybe I could by just order a pneumonia vaccine and give a blackleg shot. What would you do? They don't make single dose medicines in what I want. Pics still to come.

That chute system does that, there are 7 gates in that chute .
You can put an animal on the trailer, back into the working pen, in the recovery/sick lot or back into the pasture. You can't see from this picture that working pen has a total of 13 gates in it.
I love to see that. We just have pens set up between two pastures. I have 3 holding pens and the corral with chute with headgate at the end of chute. It works on all the cows but hate is two tight for bull.

I love to see that. We just have pens set up between two pastures. I have 3 holding pens and the corral with chute with headgate at the end of chute. It works on all the cows but hate is two tight for bull.
Thats what I am concerned bout, I have a big Angus Bull that may or may not fit through the head gate so I need a side gate to get him out if he gets in with the others going through the chute.

When we thought we were finished all except for the bull, we realize that he had open the pasture gate and let one more cow out to pasture. Him and her headed to the woods. I had an appointment at doctor that evening at 3pm and when we finished the cows it was after 1pm. No time for me to round them back up so they will get theirs next week. The only regret I have is I had enough Covexin 8 and cattlemaster gold and Once PM In to finish them up but not enough time to herd them back in. Hence that medicine once mixed had to be use when opened. So now it's to order a pneumonia vaccine, cattle master gold to finish up. I have a covexin8 on hand but it's for 10 doses. I only need two. Maybe I could by just order a pneumonia vaccine and give a blackleg shot. What would you do? They don't make single dose medicines in what I want. Pics still to come.
What would I do?

I'm not the person to ask. Lol

I always had Big Sexy to the vet once a year for a BSE. He worked him then.

That BSE is gold in my book! Much cheaper than the alternative of a lost/late calf crop.

But....
My Ol Dan Tucker. My last bull. Went for an annual BSE and failed miserably. Had one testicle that was like jelly. I put him and a very young charolais bull in the lease pasture with about 14 cows. The failed bull bred all but 2 of em anyway!
The Charlie bull got the other 2. That was a nightmare by the way. One calf was DUMB and I had to teach it to nurse. The other calf I never saw after the first day

Thats what I am concerned bout, I have a big Angus Bull that may or may not fit through the head gate so I need a side gate to get him out if he gets in with the others going through the chute.
My headgate operates as a regular gate also.
If I get finished tomorrow I will try and get pictures.

How does this work? Is this behind the cow? Did you make this or is it something you can buy? Looks interesting.
It's behind the cow when they duck there and go under.
It drags down their back and when they pass if they back up it hits them in the butt not allowing them to back up.
I made this one there are commercial models available.
The height is adjustable that's what the chain is for.

My Ol Dan Tucker. My last bull. Went for an annual BSE and failed miserably. Had one testicle that was like jelly. I put him and a very young charolais bull in the lease pasture with about 14 cows. The failed bull bred all but 2 of em anyway!
The Charlie bull got the other 2. That was a nightmare by the way. One calf was DUMB and I had to teach it to nurse. The other calf I never saw after the first day
Chupacabra!

It's behind the cow when they duck there and go under.
It drags down their back and when they pass if they back up it hits them in the butt not allowing them to back up.
I made this one there are commercial models available.
The height is adjustable that's what the chain is for.
That's cool. An automatic backup stop, clever idea. I'd like to see that in operation, that would be a lot safer.

Preifert and NRS sells 2 different kinds of no back or, alley stops. One comes from the side (NRS) and the other is overhead (Preifert). I had the overhead version which is much like the one CB made. It worked good on big calves and mature cows but not on smaller calves.
The side one is currently just over $100 and the Preifert overhead one is around $230. Tarter also sells one that is over $300.

NRS

Prefiert

Last edited:
The back up stops work good on big cows as mentioned but they are real head knockers if you have to get in the alley to push baby calves into the chute. I built my own for about $25 a piece in material. I left them when I moved and built my next set of pens with sliding gates instead.

A basic slide gate can be bought for less than $300. This one available from Allen gate and panel in Arkansas. Much safer and functional than some of the methods people use.
1700155161956.jpeg
A palpation cage at the back of the squeeze or working chute is also handy and safer than other methods. Also less than $300. Gates on each side that close to keep animal in chute and close approach to other animals in the alley.
1700155442694.jpeg

Latest posts