Pics of bull catch in chute (I hope)!

Help Support CattleToday:

A basic slide gate can be bought for less than $300. This one available from Allen gate and panel in Arkansas. Much safer and functional than some of the methods people use.

A palpation cage at the back of the squeeze or working chute is also handy and safer than other methods. Also less than $300. Gates on each side that close to keep animal in chute and close approach to other animals in the alley.
But if we just bought all that stuff, what would we doers do? That just ain't 'merica.. What would I have done with all that scrap iron I had saved and all them welding rods?

That's cool. An automatic backup stop, clever idea. I'd like to see that in operation, that would be a lot safer.
Well my plan is to allow the bull access to the chute. Move him down past where the butt board goes and when he passes it, to slip it in place. Then get to the front of him (all this done outside the chute for safety) and make him back up to the butt board and then slip chest board in place. Then I add the feed bucket just behind the chest board. While he eats cow feed, hopefully I can get 2 shots in his neck. The shots I believe will go ok, it's the nasal does of "Once PM In" for pneumonia that I am concerned with. Him moving his head might be a problem. Unless I can keep him interested in the feed. Then maybe I can squirt in his nose. I am working on this now. I plan on a dry run first to see if the boards are set up right for his size. Once he eats what I give him I open the side gate and out he goes. This has been done with careful planning and every has to be done outside the chute. I'll post pics when we vaccine him. I believe it will work and work good.

Well my plan is to allow the bull access to the chute. Move him down past where the butt board goes and when he passes it, to slip it in place. Then get to the front of him (all this done outside the chute for safety) and make him back up to the butt board and then slip chest board in place. Then I add the feed bucket just behind the chest board. While he eats cow feed, hopefully I can get 2 shots in his neck. The shots I believe will go ok, it's the nasal does of "Once PM In" for pneumonia that I am concerned with. Him moving his head might be a problem. Unless I can keep him interested in the feed. Then maybe I can squirt in his nose. I am working on this now. I plan on a dry run first to see if the boards are set up right for his size. Once he eats what I give him I open the side gate and out he goes. This has been done with careful planning and every has to be done outside the chute. I'll post pics when we vaccine him. I believe it will work and work good.
I think you have good reason to be concerned about the nasal one.

Ken

Why not put the front board in place first BEFORE you put him in chute? If you are wanting to feed him, he should just stop and eat. All you have to do is put the butt board. Which you were told a PIPE 2' longer than needed would work lots better than a board. Much easier to slide into place. Hopefully your board is at least 2' longer than needed.
I would also suggest getting injectable vaccine. Good way for you to break an arm trying to squirt in nose, unless you tie his head to the side with a halter.
Goodluck

You still didn't say how big this bull actually is. If it's a full size Simmenthal, Hereford or anything down that line your boards in front and behind will, better say may, become irrelevant and break.
I agree with what others say, why choose a nasaly administrated drug when a injection would be the safer way to go.
What is the reason you don't want to put him into the headgate?

Why not load him up and take him to a neighbor that has the proper equipment to handle a bull. It is not worth taking a chance of getting hurt because you don't have a squeeze chute contain those big boys. They have a lot of power in that head.

Ok, did a dry run today to see how bull would fit in all my eyeballing measurements. I set up the front feed box and chest board and headed him down the chute. When he got to the feed stop , he went to eating. The 2 x 12 board was too wide but my back 2 x 6 fit perfect. He had no room to go forward are back up. While he ate I stepped up to my side gate and went through the motions like o was giving shots and them to front to act like I was giving him his nasal vaccine. When he finished I pen the side gate and he step right out into pasture. Worked perfect. All done outside the fence. Next week I give him the vaccines and will take pics. Now that I know this works I'll add mr carriage head bolts to the butt board for added strength to the braves that stops the butt board from moving. I have just decking screws in it now but over time they may rust out. The 3/8" carriage head bolts won't. Lots of prayer went into this and it's works! Pics will post on the vaccine day next week.😀
That's cool. An automatic backup stop, clever idea. I'd like to see that in operation, that would be a lot safe, did a dry run today

Since you have to order more vaccine for him why not get an injectable version instead? You have plenty of real estate to give three injections to a bull and be BQA. Just a thought.
And a good thought except I had already ordered it the next couple of days after I gave all the rest their vaccines. What would you suggest in case I have something similar again.

Reading all of this was like watching the Super Bowl down to the last 10 seconds of a tied game and the power goes out. What happened to the pictures? Did the bull win?

Reading all of this was like watching the Super Bowl down to the last 10 seconds of a tied game and the power goes out. What happened to the pictures? Did the bull win?
He got the first round of vaccines and next week he gets the follow up. During the process of getting into chute he resisted and tried to jump coral but couldn't. I had 5 cows in with him and all the cows went into chute without him. He wasn't going and was in the crowding pen by himself with 5 cows in the chute. My helper said we don't have room for him so I let one cow out. He stuck his head into chute opening and started to back out. I touched him with the joystick and he went into chute and rear ended a cow and pushed them up so I had room for 2 more cows. He tried to climb chute and had one foot on top but couldn't turn himself to climb. While he was in that position I gave him his shots and opened the side gate and let him out. I have fed 4-5 cows and him in the coral 4 times since then and the cows finish eating and go out the chute thur side gate. he will not go thru the chute even with side gate open. Twice last week he ate and all cows exited thur chute. He stood for 3 hours until just before dark and I went and let him out the coral gate. I even put cotton seed at chute opening and down to side gate. I haven't crowded him yet but tried to let him go in by himself. I had to make more changes since the first run like cementing posts, building higher sides, lining the chute walls to stop climbing and better gate locks. During the 1st run I didn't have time to take pics with all that was going on. l'll send pics of coral restoration soon and if I can take his 2nd run I will. I just don't want anybody to get hurt because of him. I'll try tomorrow to see if he will go out the chute with his cows. I may feed in the morning and let him spend the day standing there with the chute wide open. I may have to crowd him but haven't yet.

Last edited:
He got the first round of vaccines and next week he gets the follow up. During the process of getting into chute he resisted and tried to jump coral but couldn't. I had 5 cows in with him and all the cows went into chute without him. He wasn't going and was in the crowding pen by himself with 5 cows in the chute. My helper said we don't have room for him so I let one cow out. He stuck his head into chute opening and started to back out. I touched him with the joystick and he went into chute and rear ended a cow and pushed them up so I had room for 2 more cows. He tried to climb chute and had one foot on top but couldn't turn himself to climb. While he was in that position I gave him his shots and opened the side gate and let him out. I have fed 4-5 cows and him in the coral 4 times since then and the cows finish eating and go out the chute thur side gate. he will not go thru the chute even with side gate open. Twice last week he ate and all cows exited thur chute. He stood for 3 hours until just before dark and I went and let him out the coral gate. I even put cotton seed at chute opening and down to side gate. I haven't crowded him yet but tried to let him go in by himself. I had to make more changes since the first run like cementing posts, building higher sides, lining the chute walls to stop climbing and better gate locks. During the 1st run I didn't have time to take pics with all that was going on. l'll send pics of coral restoration soon and if I can take his 2nd run I will. I just don't want anybody to get hurt because of him. I'll try tomorrow to see if he will go out the chute with his cows. I may feed in the morning and let him spend the day standing there with the chute wide open. I may have to crowd him but haven't yet.
Make sure there is no water or anything to eat in that corraal, and when he gets hungry and thirsty enough, he will go out the chute.

View attachment 36690
This is in my chute set up. Boards are in place to show what will be put in when I get him in place. Butt stop and kick plate in rear and chest board and feed bucket in front. Side gate will open where he is caught and he exits there. I pray this works. If my length is correct o believe it will work. From chest board to butt board is 72" max to 68" minimum adjustable. Side gate is 72" long and same height as chute. When all is finished and butt and kick stop is remove, side gate is opened and out of chute he steps. Sounds good don't it. Just hope he thinks so. ✝️🛐🙏
Final improvements are finishing up with my chute. Monday morning at breakfast I was thinking about a latch for my side gate in my chute. It needed to be fast open and closing and has to be strong so when pushed against it doesn't budge. Do I took the time to draw out what I wanted so I could drive to pieces of one inch galvanized pipe attached to gate and would slide into and out of the post at the same time. I scrapped up my metal from my scrap pile and fired up the torch and welder. If I can get the video to post, this is how it turned out. I have a few last minute things to do and then it becomes "Bull " time on TKC Farms.😀

Final improvements are finishing up with my chute. Monday morning at breakfast I was thinking about a latch for my side gate in my chute. It needed to be fast open and closing and has to be strong so when pushed against it doesn't budge. Do I took the time to draw out what I wanted so I could drive to pieces of one inch galvanized pipe attached to gate and would slide into and out of the post at the same time. I scrapped up my metal from my scrap pile and fired up the torch and welder. If I can get the video to post, this is how it turned out. I have a few last minute things to do and then it becomes "Bull " time on TKC Farms.😀

Been a long time since I couldn't get in the picture show because of my age.