“Black” Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

I've never seen anyone mention Holstein/Hereford crosses. And honestly, I've never been around anyone breeding dairy for anything except dairy. I was told by someone a long time ago that a Hereford on Holsteins produces a black baldy, but I really don't know. Does it?
Yes, the females make good cows.
They generally have more white on them than a Hereford Angus cross. They tend have white legs, and white tip of tail.

Yes, the females make good cows.
They generally have more white on them than a Hereford Angus cross. They tend have white legs, and white tip of tail.
Some one was telling me a lot of the daries will AI to Holstein but use Angus for clean up. They get a better price when they sell the Angus and use the AI heifers for replacements.

Some one was telling me a lot of the daries will AI to Holstein but use Angus for clean up. They get a better price when they sell the Angus and use the AI heifers for replacements.
When we're raising dairy calves, some places would use Angus bulls on their heifers, and then sometimes like you said they'd use beef breeds on some cows.
We used to get several Angus cross calves and a few Hereford cross.
One dairyman had a Saler bull once. I wasn't too fond of Saler cross.

I've never seen anyone mention Holstein/Hereford crosses. And honestly, I've never been around anyone breeding dairy for anything except dairy. I was told by someone a long time ago that a Hereford on Holsteins produces a black baldy, but I really don't know. Does it?
Short gestation Polled Hereford bulls are used on a lot of New Zealand dairies. The calves are white faced and spotted.

Why short gestation?

And calves are not black with white faces?
Can't answer for StrohanHerefords, but short gestation would be in regards to calving ease.
I don't know anything about New Zealand dairy cattle, but the Hereford x Holsteins I have had have had all white faces and black bodies. There legs have had a lot of white right up to the body and white tip tails, white undersides and sometimes a little white on top of the shoulders or maybe some white running up a little ways on the flanks from the undersides

No. a Black Baldy, since way before my time, was and is an Anguis X Hereford. Any other black cow with a bald face is not a baldy. Just like a Brahma X Angus is not a Brangus, but people want to call all black cattle with some ear a Brangus. @MurraysMutts has one, the one he has been talking about should have calved by now, He has recent pictures on one of his threads. All the ones I have ever seen seen looked like his. The Guernsey- Hereford nurse cow we bought, looks just like Murray's except all the dark parts are red, She doesn't have the black around the eyes, face, etc, like Murray's does.

Here, there used to be a lot of small, Holstein dairies that bought heifers and bred their cows to Polled Herefords. The BWF that resulted was thicker than the Angus X Holstein cross and tended to hold up longer as a beef cow. Like KyHills said, they had more white on the legs, a feather white on the neck and legs, and a white tip on their tail. The back and sides were solid black.
In October of 1986 I purchased eight of them from a graded feeder calf sale. They had been brought in by a neighbor I knew well from the next ridge over from my place. I purchased a roan shorthorn bull to breed them to. Their offspring form the majority of the cow herd I own now.
These cows and their shorthorn offspring made excellent cows. Bred to an Angus bull their calves sold at the top of the market (with the exception of an occasional blue roan). The cows milked well and raised whopping calves.
My cows are now mostly black, after a succession of Angus and Sim-Angus bulls. I still see a heifer that shows this heritage from time to time, mostly a white belly or scattered white hairs on the head.
The Holstein X Hereford BWF was a popular beef cow here as long as the small dairies continued to send some to town.

No. a Black Baldy, since way before my time, was and is an Anguis X Hereford. Any other black cow with a bald face is not a baldy. Just like a Brahma X Angus is not a Brangus, but people want to call all black cattle with some ear a Brangus. @MurraysMutts has one, the one he has been talking about should have calved by now, He has recent pictures on one of his threads. All the ones I have ever seen seen looked like his. The Guernsey- Hereford nurse cow we bought, looks just like Murray's except all the dark parts are red, She doesn't have the black around the eyes, face, etc, like Murray's does.
Jeeze Warren... Until they start registering "black baldies" I'm pretty sure anything with a solid black body and a white face would be called a black baldie...

And yes... I think everyone here knows Hereford/Angus make baldies. That wasn't the question. You don't get to define things just because you want people to think you know something.

🙄

A "baldie" is any thing with a white face.... as in "cut that bald face cow out". It can be black... red... yellow... striped... etc... as long as it has a white face.

An Angus X Brahman is a Brangus. There are F1 Brangus, 3/8 5/8 Brangus, 3/4 Brangus and any other mixture of Angus and Brahman you can come up with. To join and register cattle with a Brangus Assocaitions you will have to have their mix per their rules.

🙄

A "baldie" is any thing with a white face.... as in "cut that bald face cow out". It can be black... red... yellow... striped... etc... as long as it has a white face.

An Angus X Brahman is a Brangus. There are F1 Brangus, 3/8 5/8 Brangus, 3/4 Brangus and any other mixture of Angus and Brahman you can come up with. To join and register cattle with a Brangus Associations you will have to have their mix per their rules.
Nope. A Brangus is a breed that was developed from Angus and Brahma. The foundations of the breed were 5/8th Angus and 3/8ths Brahma. Only Brangus can be registered in the Brangus Association. But yes, people will call of these other crossbreds Brangus as well. I have even heard people call black, eared cattle with horns a Brangus. Some people call all black cattle Angus. Some people call all Criolo cattle Longhorn. YThey will call al;l; resonating guitars a Dobro. And all refrigerators a "Fridgidaire" At least here, people know when you say black baldy you are talking about Angus x Hereford. The other black cows with white faces are called black white faced cows or black bald face cows. And, if a red cow with a white face shows up, people will still call it a Hereford...even if it is red angus x Simm.

Last edited:
Nope. A Brangus is a breed that was developed from Angus and Brahma. The foundations of the breed were 5/8th Angus and 3/8ths Brahma. Only Brangus can be registered in the Brangus Association. But yes, people will call of these other crossbreds Brangus as well. I have even heard people call black, eared cattle with horns a Brangus. Some people call all black cattle Angus. Some people call all Criolo cattle Longhorn. At least here, people know when you say black baldy you are talking about Angus x Hereford. The other black cows with white faces are called black white faced cows or black bald face cows. And, if a red cow with a white face shows up, people will still call it a Hereford...even if it s red angus x Simm.
Look up the word, "colloquialism", and think about how that might be applied to the word, "Brangus". We were all calling Brahman/Angus crosses brangus a LONG time before any cross bred mutts were being "registered."

Jeeze Warren... Until they start registering "black baldies" I'm pretty sure anything with a solid black body and a white face would be called a black baldie...
Yes that is what I said, ,they mistakenly call any white faced black cow a "black baldy" So what is your argument?
And yes... I think everyone here knows Hereford/Angus make baldies. That wasn't the question. You don't get to define things just because you want people to think you know something.
The question was " Does a Hereford x Holstein make a black baldy?" And the answer is no. I don't care if people think I know that or not, but I can't help it that I do. Changing subject for a second: Is that you in your avatar? Do you play guitar?

When I was young I never heard of baldies it was always black white face for Angus Hereford crosses.
The Hereford x Red Angus were referred to as rednecks.
Holstein x Herefords are also called BWF or baldies sometimes Holstein baldies now
Now they all baldies, as far a can tell people around here call white faced Simmentals both black and red baldies too.
Brahmans are called Bramers ( pronounced with a long a sound as in the word framers )

So what would you call this one? Coming with second calf..View attachment 38511
How much does she weigh, Kenny? Looks like you are feeding her good. What is she bred to and what was her first calf's sire? I have seem some Corrs with horns like that. And a lot of Flaq Scrub, Fla Cracker,. and Pineywoods like that. I have seen diary breed with horns like that as well. When people raise them for oxen to be used at draft pulls, they almost always leave their horns intact, and they look like that.

Last edited:
Yes that is what I said, ,they mistakenly call any white faced black cow a "black baldy" So what is your argument?

There's no argument. Any cow with a solid body and a white face is a baldy, and a black baldy has a solid black body and a white face. A Charolaise cross can be many shades, and if it has a white face it is a baldy. Again, you don't get to make up definitions.

The question was " Does a Hereford x Holstein make a black baldy?" And the answer is no.

According to the people that have answered, Holsteins crossed with Herefords routinely make calves with black bodies and a white face. A little extra white, tail and underline, but black body/white face.

We're talking about a color pattern, Warren. Just like we have roan cattle, or skunks, or belties. We are not talking about breeds. Some of these color patterns are known to result from breeds with specific patterns that translate into crosses, but when we use the terms we aren't talking about breeds.

And I shouldn't have to explain this to you.

Last edited:

Latest posts