Homozygous black?

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
A lot of discussion lately ablut homozygous black bulls. Here are 2 calves from a 1/2 Simmental 1/2 Angus bull i used last summer. I never tested him so this is all for discussion. He didnt do well on fescue so took a trip in December. 20240214_164257.jpg20240214_164400.jpg20240214_164346.jpg

Last edited:
Well yes and no. She is half charolais.
I bought her last winter with a redneck calf from a black bull.
Then he is hetero, and that calf got the red gene, from him, diluted by the Charolais. If he was homo, that calf would probably have been a smoky with a white face calf. I bet he grew off good, though being Simm, Char and Hereford.

Then he is hetero, and that calf got the red gene, from him, diluted by the Charolais. If he was homo, that calf would probably have been a smoky with a white face calf. I bet he grew off good, though being Simm, Char and Hereford.
Not necessarily black isn't a complete dominant mutation. At best it is an incomplete dominant mutation. Black can be masked or modified by the charolais color . As well as the white park color gene. And almost every color of the Scottish Highland.

Red calf was from a different bull i bought her in January 2023.

No., or you would have got a black baldy out of that Hereford cow.
Not if she has Char in her.
I have some that color and you get a black calf about half the time.
That Char color gene doesn't play by the rules.
Every one of these calves is out of a homozygous black bull. SH, LH and Char don't play by color rules, African horn gene doesn't play by polled rules.IMG_0405.jpeg

Not if she has Char in her.
I have some that color and you get a black calf about half the time.
Every one of these calves is out of a homozygous black bull. SH, LH and Char don't play by color rules, African horn gene doesn't play by polled rules.View attachment 40979
That is true. But that calf is a diluted red. If the bull was homo for black, and that calf got the dilute gene, then it would more likely be grey/smoky. Looks to me like Kenny's bull was hetera black,, and that calf got a red gene from the bull.

Every one of these calves is out of a homozygous black bull. SH, LH and Char don't play by color rules, African horn gene doesn't play by polled rules.View attachment 40979
Char trait does play by the rules and so does the horned African trait.
You just have to understand the correct rules and understand that the black trait isn't a complete dominant trait and it can and will be masked from the phenotype even when present in the genotype by numerous other color traits.

Latest posts