Homozygous vs Homoblack

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyRam

Reaction score
Today in a Black Hereford facebook group I seen some bulls for sale. The pedigree has them listed as Homoblack. Does that mean they are Homozygous?

That is what I thought, but when I saw it on the pedigree it kinda through me for a loop. This whole genetic stuff is a bit confusing to me. Am I correct in assuming that this bull would also not have offspring with horns even if bred to a cow with horns?

That is what I thought, but when I saw it on the pedigree it kinda through me for a loop. This whole genetic stuff is a bit confusing to me. Am I correct in assuming that this bull would also not have offspring with horns even if bred to a cow with horns?
Im going to say Homoblack means all black but not Homopolled.

Since I was unfamiliar with the way the Black Hereford breed worked, I did an internet search and found this.
"you get a Black Hereford by crossing a Red Polled Hereford with a Black Angus. in cattle black coat coloring is dominant and red coat color is recessive. So when u cross a Angus (BB) with a Polled Hereford (bb) for the first time your calf will be heterozygous (Bb) and will be black."

The bull you see listed is described as Homo Black (homozygous for the black gene BB), so all offspring will be black when bred to a red cow. If this Black Hereford was the result of Polled Herefords being bred to Black Angus (another polled breed), than the answer is, most likely yes and you should not have offspring with horns. But unless the bull was tested and found to be free of the horn gene, there is still some chance he is a carrier of the horn gene because a small percentage of Angus bulls are carriers and there is also a chance that what you see being called a Black Hereford bull, is actually a cross between a horned Hereford and a Black Angus which would make him a carrier of the horn gene. If the bull is a registered Black Hereford and not just a black baldy, I believe your chances are good that he is polled.

No, being homo ( homozygous) black nas nothing to do with horns. If it was homozygous for polled then that would on the papers. The ones I found for the Red Angus breeder are ones that are homo black and homo polled.

I'm not familiar with the "black" Hereford registration papers but would think that it would have a horn code on it as others do that have both horned and polled individuals.
If the animal has been dna tested for polledness then it should say it on the paper.
Is it listed anywhere on the paper if the animal is polled? I would think that if it says it's homozygous black that it should have been tested homo or hetero polled but maybe not.

Since I was unfamiliar with the way the Black Hereford breed worked, I did an internet search and found this.
"you get a Black Hereford by crossing a Red Polled Hereford with a Black Angus. in cattle black coat coloring is dominant and red coat color is recessive. So when u cross a Angus (BB) with a Polled Hereford (bb) for the first time your calf will be heterozygous (Bb) and will be black."

The bull you see listed is described as Homo Black (homozygous for the black gene BB), so all offspring will be black when bred to a red cow. If this Black Hereford was the result of Polled Herefords being bred to Black Angus (another polled breed), than the answer is, most likely yes and you should not have offspring with horns. But unless the bull was tested and found to be free of the horn gene, there is still some chance he is a carrier of the horn gene because a small percentage of Angus bulls are carriers and there is also a chance that what you see being called a Black Hereford bull, is actually a cross between a horned Hereford and a Black Angus which would make him a carrier of the horn gene. If the bull is a registered Black Hereford and not just a black baldy, I believe your chances are good that he is polled.
No, a cross between a Hereford and an Angus is Not a Black Hereford. Just as a cross between a Brahma and a shorthorn is not a Santa Gertrudis. A Black Hereford is 3/8ths Angus or less,. and 5/8ths or more Hereford. It takes 3 generations to produce one. like it does with Brangus or Braford. You breed an Angus to a Hereford, then breed that offspring back to Hereford, Then breed the 3/4 Herf 1/4 Angus to another 1/2 Herf and 1/2 Angus. This animal will be 62.5% Herford. A Reg red Hereford can be bred to a reg Black Hereford , and if the calf is black, it can be registered Black Hereford. There are reg BHs that are 96% Herefords, as much or more Hereford as your Simmentals today are Simmentals, Same with Limousines,,Gelbievs, or Charolais.

Latest posts