Simmental vs Limousin bull choice

Help Support CattleToday:

I like both Limousins and Simmental. If strictly terminal calves you'd be ok with either one, since you mentioned retaining a few heifers, if it were me I'd go with Simmental.
My opinion, (which ain't worth much), if I'm going to buy a bull, I'd rather pay for a purebred than a SimAngus or Limflex.
Since you said you had and Angus based herd, a purebred Simmental or Limousin would give you more benefit of hybrid vigor than an bull that was an Angus cross.
I recently got a Simmental bull. Like someone mentioned earlier they are popular and a lot more of them around here than Limousins.

I primarily have Angus based cattle in sw Oklahoma. I've always used Angus bulls, but I'm debating on using a lim, flex, sim, or simangus bull. Terminal calves are the main thing with a few replacements kept. I'm game for any opinions lol
I've had a lot of great experience with Limo, and practically none with Sim... but if you are looking for terminal calves to make money you can't go wrong with anything that will throw consistent and high weaning weights, good conformation, and black.

Grade calf buyers aren't looking at EPDs or papers, they are looking at the product you bring to the point of sale. They are thinking in terms of how long it will take to finish, and what it will cost in feed. They want a group of animals that they can feed together and that will finish at the same time, and grade.

Lim or Sim will do that for you. It's more about buying the right homogygous black bull than about the breed. Since you already have an Angus base you wouldn't want to stay Angus. Cross bred calves will gain better and be marginally healthier. If your cows are homozygous black already you can buy a red bull but then you'll need a homo-black bull to use on the replacements.

Latest posts