Discounts vs premiums

Help Support CattleToday:

Our two bulls that didn't hardy make it 60 days were GAR ET bulls Im pretty sure. We got full refunds and went back to bulls about an hour away with both parents in the pasture.
That's the thing, I'm sure I'm a lot of bulls raised by various breeders would not hold up in some areas. I've only used bulls from the New Design/ Predestined lines that go back to GAR, and they worked well here, as far as getting the job done and siring commercial calves. Several of the GAR bulls would be in the same categories as the SAV stuff to me as far whether I would use them or not.
I'm not sure how well any of them would do as far as retaining females, I've heard stories like yours from registered breeders too on both bulls and females. We had very few bulls make it through two breeding seasons some not even one. We were buying bulls fairly close by from regional farms, but it was AI and ET stuff that they had. Several heifers by the last Angus bull we used loose condition pretty easy and it's always uneasy as to whether they will be bred. So far so good but a few definitely looks strained.
I went with Hereford for a while, they got their own problems too. Now I'm working with what I have a combination of both hoping to counter some of issues.

Latest posts