Black hided vs others

Help Support CattleToday:

That's pretty much how it is around here.
We have a production sale in march. BWF pair's always top the females. Black angus bulls top the bulls. The f1 bwf bull sold better than the average of the angus. When the Hereford bulls come in the ring everyone sits on their hands. Everyone wants BWF, but nobody seems to want to build their own.
Horned Hereford line red bulls sell well in this area. They have averaged between 5-6 thousand. One sale was 18 month old bulls. Buyers here prefer more ranch bred type bulls with little or no show blood influence.

No matter where it is in the US, for the same quality steers (or heifers) black will always bring more, as long as Angus beef sells for more than "beef" at the supermarkets. No damned white or grey or red or purple steer has brought more than the same size and quality black steers. The exception might be if a hobby farmer wanted a calf or two to raise, and paid too much for an off colored one because they thought it was "pretty".
I sold a white calf, 305 pound steer, 2 weeks ago at the salebarn and he brought the most per pound that I saw sold that day. He was a shorthorn but I think folks thought he was a charolais. most black calves his size that looked good brought 2.20-2.60 and brought 2.77. That might be low where you guys are from but I tried to sell him through facebook and folks wanted to give me $500 for him.

Funny story. When hubby & I moved to NY from Kansas back in 1978, we thought people had inbred horrible Hereford cattle. They were SMALL. Took a while, but we figured out that there were only POLLED HEREFORDS out here. We were used to seeing big, rangy Horned Herefords. Best thing that breed did was combine the two associations. Now there are some powerful Hereford cattle around here.