Unmistakable of Branded

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Ebenezer said:
Temperament issues, from what I have seen originate from the owner, not the animal.
Hogwash, pure and simple.

I never really understood what exactly "hogwash" is but if it's anything like bovine scatology I tend to agree.
Definitions are us!

Hogwash = nonsense :tiphat:

Fence = a long object built by farmers to attract falling trees :cry:

Ebenezer said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Ebenezer said:
Hogwash, pure and simple.

I never really understood what exactly "hogwash" is but if it's anything like bovine scatology I tend to agree.
Definitions are us!

Hogwash = nonsense :tiphat:

Fence = a long object built by farmers to attract falling trees :cry:

Hogwash is the water, feces, blood, stomach contents, and anything else that hits the floor, left over from cleaning out a hog.
Hogwash= worthless bloody crap coated in vomit.
Dogs, and pigs love it.

I will say it again but in more direct terms.

If you are an azzhole, and don't understand animals or have a feel for them, even the gentlest animal in the herd will pick up on it and run.

Most of the comments I read on here is that you want to raise them as wild animals yet you expect them to behave like an old lazy dog when you arrive to work them.

Best of luck to you.

************* said:
I will say it again but in more direct terms.

If you are an azzhole, and don't understand animals or have a feel for them, even the gentlest animal in the herd will pick up on it and run.

Most of the comments I read on here is that you want to raise them as wild animals yet you expect them to behave like an old lazy dog when you arrive to work them.

Best of luck to you.

That's where culling the trouble makers come into play.

That's a total BS statement Branded. You don't have a clue of how any of us handle cattle, and you sure as hell never handled any rough stock.

I have some maternal lines that are just always retarded.. always try and duck around a gate, etc.. thankfully most of those are gone... Other maternal lines, you put a halter on them, they fight for 5 minutes the first time, and after that they settle down and they're good from then on in. Some people do just love a good rodeo, I see it in my neighbor's herd.. The old man always was calm with his cows, walked among them, everything was fine.. since he passed, his sons are pizz poor cattlemen as far as handling, only time they get worked is for shots or something else they don't like, so now they scatter when someone comes along.

On the percentage of bull calves you keep intact, well.. if you have a really exceptional herd you will definitely keep more of them as bulls if you have the market, but everything is always on a bell curve, even if all your animals are good I don't think it's a good idea to keep everything intact, that's not how you make progress, that's how you stand still... Then there's the definition of what you think is great, which might not match someone else's definition, apart from the evident stuff like basic functionality.

It's been 6 years since I've kept a bull calf intact, so about 1% of my calves get to keep their nuts at birth.. I kept one for a year then decided I didn't like him and he got shipped.. Same momma as 2 previous bulls, but her and that Limo sire just really didn't 'nick', she had home runs every time with the other bull so I thought I'd take my chances.. oops, didn't work!

Red Bull Breeder said:
That's a total BS statement Branded. You don't have a clue of how any of us handle cattle, and you sure as be nice never handled any rough stock.

Why is it BS?

People on here make fun of Ron and myself when it comes to babying cattle, but then in the same breath you value docility.

Having docile cattle takes generations to develop. If they are constantly treated badly it transfers over and over again. Like a vicious circle. Calves see the sh.tty handling and thus begins the process of a new generation of spooked cattle.

I think what you view as BS is more like I challenge so many long held traditions in how I manage and handle my herd, it's unorthodox to many old timers, but the proof is in the pudding when you see what I'm producing. Nobody has EVER come back to me and said "your animals are wild, I can't deal with them"

"Most of the comments I read on here is that you want to raise them as wild animals yet you expect them to behave like an old lazy dog when you arrive to work them. "
Please point out the comments making you think others raise wild animals????
Yes, there are lots of people that mishandle their cattle. I don't think you will find any of the regulars posting do that.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
"Most of the comments I read on here is that you want to raise them as wild animals yet you expect them to behave like an old lazy dog when you arrive to work them. "
Yes, there are lots of people that mishandle their cattle. I don't think you will find any of the regulars posting do that.

I'm referring to certain individuals that check on their cattle once a month or so, and most likely with binoculars from the comfort of the truck.

The remark was not intended, nor should even concern members on CT that do a fine job of handling their cattle. Which I'm pretty certain from the photos I see, there are quite a few of them.

He thinks he raises cattle vastly different than the rest of us and that his cattle are superior to yours because he tells them they're pretty and spends daddy's money doing so...because he never got a college education and moved back home and needs to validate his worth.

He's the singular of stepbrothers.

NEFarmwife said:

He thinks he raises cattle vastly different than the rest of us and that his cattle are superior to yours because he tells them they're pretty and spends daddy's money doing so...because he never got a college education and moved back home and needs to validate his worth.

Actually you could not be further from the truth.

NEFarmwife said:

Wow!

NEFarmwife said:

That is hilarious. Thank you for the best laugh this week.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
sim.-ang.king said:
I raise mine in a cramped dirty feedlot, and I beat them with rebar. Isn't that how everyone does it?

Nope, in Kentucky we are only allowed to use old tobacco sticks.
I have been contemplating switching to hickory sticks, but don't know if I will get the same life span as rebar. If we had tobacco round here I'd sure give tobacco sticks a chance.

I think you do a great job with your cattle, have good stock and enjoy what your doing. You just come across as thinking you and your cattle don't stink. And everyone knows that's BS.

sim.-ang.king said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
sim.-ang.king said:
I raise mine in a cramped dirty feedlot, and I beat them with rebar. Isn't that how everyone does it?

Nope, in Kentucky we are only allowed to use old tobacco sticks.
I have been contemplating switching to hickory sticks, but don't know if I will get the same life span as rebar. If we had tobacco round here I'd sure give tobacco sticks a chance.

Skip the hickory, and go straight for the sycamore stick.

Bright Raven said:
NEFarmwife said:

That is hilarious. Thank you for the best laugh this week.

But Ron, she is SO SPOT ON!

What NEFarmWife doesn't realize is that I'm producing cattle like I have with sheer dumb luck.

I might have only have a 8th grade education, but in Kentucky that's not too shabby. That's what folks from out of state don't understand about us.

As for my own personal luck, I chose Angus because I like the color black, I choose my AI sires based on how glossy the ads look in the Angus Journal. It only made sense to me that the fancier the ad meant the fancier my calves would look. So far I've been darn lucky, cause my reasoning has worked.

I didn't pursue any education in life because my gut instincts, as I've explained above, have served me well. Why change what is working for me?

I don't even understand how AI really works, a friend of mine just sticks his hand up my cow's azzes when I see them playing with each other, you know, when they are trying to climb on top of each other, and much to my surprise babies pop out months later. It's all pretty amazing.

Latest posts