Show me your idea of the perfect cow

Help Support CattleToday:

When I bought her she was a open 3 year old that somebody couldn't get

bred back. I got her at packer price. $685 She calved for me in 10 months, and has been very consistent since. I have had good luck with yellow cows. 20240202_163444.jpg She is dog gentle and will let a orphan calf suck.

Her only bad quality is she bellows a lot. Her name is $TFU.

Last edited:
That's interesting. You would think more people would purposely do it for the steers. LoL

I've heard the deal about higher protein diets Iike the wcs can give you more bulls vs corn diets giving more heifers.
I've done it for both steers and heifers. Try to tell people and they don't believe it can be done.

gcreek, could you estimate a frame score and weight at weaning time for the cows you showed. Love their capacity!

gcreek, could you estimate a frame score and weight at weaning time for the cows you showed. Love their capacity!
The two middle cows are close to 6 frame and would weigh 1475+ in good shape. They are both purebred Angus. Top cow a little shorter and 1300. Red was a first calf heifer we raised that was empty the first fall. She went from a perfect brood cow to a perfect feeder cow in one poke of the ultrasound stick. She likely weighed 1100 after calving in that photo and would have grown to a 5.5 frame.

Miss Lass pictured at 13 years old - half my herd goes back to her:

Talker at 14 years old:

Fre-Anna at 3 years old - died 2 weeks before her next calf was born. Stuck upside down.

To be considered a great cow, they need to be big volumed with great feet and legs - easy keepers.

I'm not going to claim to understand it, it's been a while since I was in a repro class. But it makes sense to me that environmental conditions inside the cow could have an effect.

We had 34 head of cows due to calve Jan/Feb (with 1 late 3/8) Started off with mainly bulls - like 3 to 1. Then, like a light switch - all heifers. We've had 16 heifers and 5 bulls in past 3 weeks. No bulls since the 20th of Jan. And, I have more bulls SOLD than I have on the ground. Down to 3 clean up calves. We have 19 heifers so far.
We start feeding Bi-Carb mid April. Maybe that changes the PH??

We had 34 head of cows due to calve Jan/Feb (with 1 late 3/8) Started off with mainly bulls - like 3 to 1. Then, like a light switch - all heifers. We've had 16 heifers and 5 bulls in past 3 weeks. No bulls since the 20th of Jan. And, I have more bulls SOLD than I have on the ground. Down to 3 clean up calves. We have 19 heifers so far.
We start feeding Bi-Carb mid April. Maybe that changes the PH??
Before your last sentence I was thinking... Something changed in their diet ten or so months ago.

It's real common for people to have a heavy split in gender, males or females early and then females or males later.

I feed it because when they go out on our new spring grass 1st of May, the super high protein screws them up. Called BUN, (blood urea nitrate) They urinate out the excess protein killing spots in the fields. But - it changes the PH so bad the sperm/egg cannot survive. Not unhealthy for the cow - she just doesn't get pregnant.

Forgot to add that girl is 20 years old.
I think you are wise to hold the girls that are older with great calves and they show you that they give you a great calf each year. Selling them at an early age to bring in something new and you have no idea of the genetics they will pass. When you send out that great producing cow, it is just nuts to me. That same cow can give you double the calves so often. Longevity passes longevity.