Show me your idea of the perfect cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Had one that gave me 19 bull calves.
Vet at A@M said it was a Ph issue with the cow.
Caustic, I have thought the same thing over the years. She may not be able to control the sex, but they can set up conditions for one sperm to be stronger over the other. It would have been nice if she had given you a heifer although, but sounds like such a great cow.

This is what I am trying to breed now. A cross of 3/4 Piedmontes/ 1/4 Jersey Cows. I am adjusting from my big capacity Angus to a muscled, less gut Piedmontese. But the feed conversion for both Pieds and Jerseys is less than other cattle. So this is a great cow to me.... She is not one that I raised, but she was developed by Dr. Dan Oberschlake. 13 months of age.

02156560-FCDD-4BE0-9A74-B7646182C204_1_105_c.jpeg

The second picture : This is Weeone and I fault her for being born with a bent ear. But her body, and frame is what I aimed for. The first picture is of Rachel. View attachment 40628
Really like those thick black ladies, even with a messed up ear.

Attachments

• IMG_3457.jpeg
    IMG_3457.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 6
She was a great cow. She did like to Kick. Got me several times and when she kicked at me, I would run her down with the bucket and smash her. Or if she started walking past me, I would get her. She knocked approx. 10 buckets of feed out of my hand over the years, and got me in the legs. But she was just too good of a cow and I was letting her outsmart me. I know if she walks past me that leg is going to swing out. DUH! None of her calves did that or picked it up. I still liked her a lot. She was just a brat. How dumb can the owner be for me to let her set me up? Sorta like letting a rooster sneak up on you in the yard. That was fun.

When I said that the feed conversion was less than other cattle, I meant that the conversion was higher with Jerseys and Pieds, much more than even my easy keeping Angus. But I was trying to say that they eat less. I often screw up what I am trying to say and have to come back and correct it. Why, well I know why. But I just have to live with it.

This is the ideal cow to me. 1707521595026.png
I had to go to the Italian Chiania Association to find a pic. These are about gone in the US these days. To be registered as a full blood Chiania (like the one pictured) the animal as to be 100% Chiania. To be registered a pure blood, it iust has to be at least 87.5%...7/8ths...Chiania. And like a lot of breeds in the US, nearly all the purebreds you can find are black.
A Chi-Angus has to be at east 6.25% Chiania, but less than 87.5%. I am posting a link, and on it you will see registered pb Chiania, and registered Chi-Angus. I can't tell the difference, myself, without reading the titles of the pics. https://www.chicattle.org/index.php/show-animals-of-the-year/

This is the ideal cow to me. View attachment 40705
I had to go to the Italian Chiania Association to find a pic. These are about gone in the US these days. To be registered as a full blood Chiania (like the one pictured) the animal as to be 100% Chiania. To be registered a pure blood, it iust has to be at least 87.5%...7/8ths...Chiania. And like a lot of breeds in the US, nearly all the purebreds you can find are black.
A Chi-Angus has to be at east 6.25% Chiania, but less than 87.5%. I am posting a link, and on it you will see registered pb Chiania, and registered Chi-Angus. I can't tell the difference, myself, without reading the titles of the pics. https://www.chicattle.org/index.php/show-animals-of-the-year/
Dang that is one big cow

We all got our own ideas about it, but what attracts you to this type?

Tall cow or Uzzi is a short fellow.

We all got our own ideas about it, but what attracts you to this type?
Their size. And they are as heat tolerant, insect and parasite resistant as Brahma. But they tolerate cold well, too. When they showed up around here in the early 70's, they were a welcome alternative to the pallet-headed, cow-killer Simm and Charolais bulls of a decade earlier. As big as they were, the calves weren't anywhere near as hard for the 8-900 lb Angus and Hereford cows to deliver. Like a Brahma, their heads tended to be small in relation to their bodies. So, you were able to get the heterosis from the Continental-British cross, and actual have calves, and heifers live through the birth process. They added body length to those little Ang and Herf cows, too, so made good replacement heifers.

Late 90's I met a man that was into draft horse competitions, that also showed oxen. He had 6 Holsteins he AI'ed to Chiaina, and 6 Chi cows like that one in the pic that he AI'ed to Holstein, to try to get pairs of steers . He'd sell the heifers for next to nothing...sometimes giving them to me because I helped him with his other venture...developing bucking bulls. Those Hol x Chi cows looked like that animated cow in the Experien commercials. The fat, Holtein looking cow that was kinda blue and white instead of black & white? Damn, they raised some good calves. I would breed them to Brangus bulls. He had also decided to develop his own line bucking bulls from a 3-way Brahma, CHiania, and Longhorn cross.. Once he had enough of the 3 ways, he sold off some of his 2 way cows, and bought his Brama x Chiania. Big ole white monsters that raised maybe the best calves I ever saw. 1st time I used that Brangus, and got a lot of smokies and yellows etc. Then my neighbor who raised registered Charolais, lent me a polled Char bull. You could almost stand in the pasture and see those calves grow! Those steers would top the sale very time I took some... right up there with the best black calves. Another neighbor bought the heifers and he bred those to his red & white, old timey Simm bulls. Never had a calving problem at all. The dude I got the cows from, when he saw some of those steers, paid me to keep 2 bull calves one year intact, and he would use them in his bucking bull program. He eventually figured out though, that to get real money, he needed to use well-known ABBI reg bulls, and get his cows ABBI registered.

For a long time, I would get every 100% full blood Chianina bull I could find, and sell them to my Corriente contact in Mexico. He shipped them to central and south America, to be used on their Indu-Brazil, Brahma, etc cows. His foreman who took on the business after his death last year, wants 20 right now, and I am having a devil of a time putting that together with bulls I could make money on. Like I said, most of them I am finding are pure bred blacks. They want fb Chiania down there, because of their size, of course, and they do just was well down there as Brahmas with the heat, insects, etc. Plus, Chiania bulls are known as great travelers, covering a lot of ground and thus a lot of cows, during breeding season.

My cow Sally, was big like that. Chi-angus. Just as slim in the middle too. Always thought, like the cow pictured, too much "window" underneath. But she raised a good calf until she didn't ...

But she went because coyote got her calf. Too gentle I guess. I could always tag/band her calf with her standing right there.
Not because she was too gentle. You've seen enough pics & videos of my girls. And they will stomp an armadillo, run off even a bird or rabbit if they get too close to their calf. Stranger danger is legit and pretty much nobody but me can get near their calves.

Latest posts