Show me your idea of the perfect cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Tator. The 40 lb preemie/subsequent orphan in my avatar pic. Consistently spits out 100 lb calves that mash the scales at weaning. Kept all her heifers (and some granddaughters). Always calves within the first few weeks of calving, breeds back like clockwork. Perfect udder & feet, zero health issues, doesn't draw down so much it's concerning. I can pick up her foot in the middle of the pasture to dig out debris and she'll stand back & watch me work her newborn without the slightest concern because she knows the drill. She has a perpetual goofy looking expression, short-legged and a wide load, ripped ear, but I'd take a whole herd of cows like her. Currently due with her 9th calf 3/9, which means any time end of Feb.IMG_20231014_162218522.jpg

coachg, rode with a really good cattleman several years ago who ran tiger stripes exclusively. His only complaint was that they tend to milk too heavily, blow out udders earlier than they should. How old is she?
This is her 4thcalf . She has one of the prettiest bags and is a heavy milker for sure . Her mom is the black Brahma cow we call high pockets . She is not a heavy milker but evidently her milk is rich . She is 8-9 yrs old and her bag is fine . The Hereford from her sire might cause the udder problems you mentioned. We shall see . 🤔

There are a lot of cows I like for different reasons but this one has always been a favorite just because she throws some chunks. Only thing I fault her on is she has never thrown me one heifer. No matter how many different bulls I have tried on here. She is the right mixture of stand off-ish for me also. She likes about 10yds of distance at all times but always goes in the pens or where she needs to go at a brisk pace. 😄

20210721_084149.jpg

20200413_123601.jpg

There are a lot of cows I like for different reasons but this one has always been a favorite just because she throws some chunks. Only thing I fault her on is she has never thrown me one heifer. No matter how many different bulls I have tried on here. She is the right mixture of stand off-ish for me also. She likes about 10yds of distance at all times but always goes in the pens or where she needs to go at a brisk pace. 😄

View attachment 40351

View attachment 40352
Those are some chunks for sure!!! Like those calves butts.

View attachment 40351

View attachment 40352
Don't lose hope! One of my fave cows didn't give me a heifer until she was 12. Which I obviously kept and now have 2 of her granddaughters.

No longer with us but Patch threw us a healthy calves every year and never had any medical issues and two years in a row had twins (not good in everyone's book I know) and one set of twins was a bull and heifer calf and we kept the heifer calf (so not a free martin) and now that cow is probably our best cow.

.P1030452.jpg

View attachment 40351

View attachment 40352
Had one that gave me 19 bull calves.
Vet at A@M said it was a Ph issue with the cow.