Show me your idea of the perfect cow

Help Support CattleToday:

This is the ideal cow to me. View attachment 40705
I had to go to the Italian Chiania Association to find a pic. These are about gone in the US these days. To be registered as a full blood Chiania (like the one pictured) the animal as to be 100% Chiania. To be registered a pure blood, it iust has to be at least 87.5%...7/8ths...Chiania. And like a lot of breeds in the US, nearly all the purebreds you can find are black.
A Chi-Angus has to be at east 6.25% Chiania, but less than 87.5%. I am posting a link, and on it you will see registered pb Chiania, and registered Chi-Angus. I can't tell the difference, myself, without reading the titles of the pics. https://www.chicattle.org/index.php/show-animals-of-the-year/
A man down the road a piece from me raised Chiana cattle and crossed with Angus. Very athletic cattle and were beautiful. I always admired them. I go like a longer legged animal and they hold up well. Just beautiful Warren!!

They are giant, gutless, fence jumping, poor marbling cattle.
Pretty.....in the eye of the beholder.
When they first hit US, hubbies and I traveled from Kansas to No Dakota, down to OK to purchase Brown Swiss. If you bred Chi to BS, the half blood offspring looked like a PB Chi.
White hair, black skin, black switch. Had a contract for any BS vet checked pregnant to Chi.

I'll have to pick this one shown with this year's bull calf - she always has a good calf and has a good disposition…Ear tag #1…matriarch of the herd…dang good momma cow…the first one to take to the last 2-3 year long re-domestication efforts so I may be biased…but she is far and away my favorite…big ol' brangus momma

Attachments

• IMG_1177.jpeg
    IMG_1177.jpeg
    531.1 KB · Views: 25
I'll have to pick this one shown with this year's bull calf - she always has a good calf and has a good disposition…Ear tag #1…matriarch of the herd…dang good momma cow…the first one to take to the last 2-3 year long re-domestication efforts so I may be biased…but she is far and away my favorite…big ol' brangus momma
Good looking cow, Gary. But doesn't look Brangus at all. Damned nice calf, though!

Good looking Brangus momma there.

I like her too. Is she one you raised form your cows and bull?
No this is one we purchased I like her phenotype and pedigree and she does an excellent job raising a calf. We don't buy many anymore so if I like her enough to purchase she is usually pretty sporty.

1707867992791.jpeg
This is one we raised that is working her way to the flush pen. I am old fashion I won't flush one until they have put three calves on the ground and the calves have to be darn good. Right now she has calf number 2 at side and so far has not stumbled. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Tator. The 40 lb preemie/subsequent orphan in my avatar pic. Consistently spits out 100 lb calves that mash the scales at weaning. Kept all her heifers (and some granddaughters). Always calves within the first few weeks of calving, breeds back like clockwork. Perfect udder & feet, zero health issues, doesn't draw down so much it's concerning. I can pick up her foot in the middle of the pasture to dig out debris and she'll stand back & watch me work her newborn without the slightest concern because she knows the drill. She has a perpetual goofy looking expression, short-legged and a wide load, ripped ear, but I'd take a whole herd of cows like her. Currently due with her 9th calf 3/9, which means any time end of Feb.View attachment 40340
This goes to show, the best of our cows are never the prettiest of cows. Disposition is worth more $ than any of us know too. It's a challenge getting the right ones!! She is worth $4 per pound to you, but would be middle of the road priced at a stockyards.

Miss Lass pictured at 13 years old - half my herd goes back to her:

Talker at 14 years old:

Fre-Anna at 3 years old - died 2 weeks before her next calf was born. Stuck upside down.

To be considered a great cow, they need to be big volumed with great feet and legs - easy keepers.
I've heard a lot of people say that big volume means more feed. Any thoughts on preferring volume over efficiency? Myself I sell feeders and they like bigger frame calves at Bluegrass Stockyards!

I've heard a lot of people say that big volume means more feed. Any thoughts on preferring volume over efficiency? Myself I sell feeders and they like bigger frame calves at Bluegrass Stockyards!
Well --- these are perfect examples of what makes me money.
If you have cows that are expected to raise a 700# calf, milk well, breed back in 12 months, and do it all on grass and hay, she needs to be able to fit her growing fetus and enough roughage to more than survive. Most gutless wonders cannot eat enough roughage to maintain her and her fetus and raise a calf.
People that don't have the right kind of cattle make excuses for what they have.

This would be my idea of the perfect cow, she is all business, not a standout in my herd she is too busy working, always produces one of the heaviest calves at weaning, mostly breeds to the first insemination. Her progeny have continued to grow well after weaning and have developed into top cows and bulls.
Ken

My uncle that just passed last month told me the best kind of cow was one that had a calf every 10-11 months, raised a good calf and was paid for. Lol
He was the hardest working man I ever knew, had a common sense way of thinking.
He done very well in his lifetime.
My mother, his sister was the hardest working woman I've ever known.

Latest posts