The Aussie Thread

Help Support CattleToday:

Never got any rain the other day. Just started to rain again. Put some of our bulls out today, two Herefords and an Angus. Will put a Brahman and a South Devon out tomorrrow. Still have a Brahman and a South Devon yet to put out.Have 40 round bales of hay coming in the morning.Been darn busy at work. A few sick people about.
Colin

Wow, I've been busy. Havent been online since last thursday, and normally I'm on every day. Checked my emails - 29 new messages :shock:

Had the clipper come out yesterday to do the show team (and some feet). They look GREAT. I really think this team is the most consistent we've had so far. I took some photos but they're not the greatest.

Colin, I know what you mean about the high schools wanting a particular breed. Seems like they are all going that way now. I'm glad when I went through we were still taking just about anything that was offered to us - and so we got some pretty good steers out of it. We actually had a couple once that were 1/4 South Devon, 1/4 Limo and 1/2 shorthorn. But now my old school is only really interested in pure limos. Its such a shame because they had so many people supporting them, and now they are turning those people away.

Carla, I heard the judging up there was interesting - my mate was representing new south, and she said that none of the competitors placed the cattle the same way as the overjudge.

Had a tough day the other day. My first doe kidded - an eight year old who has had plenty of experience and always kids unassisted. Anyway she dropped twin bucks and the afterbirth and was happy as larry, there didnt appear to be a problem. I brought them into the shed, and the next morning she was so crook she could barely stand. I examined her and found another dead kid that she must have tried to deliver during the night. It was stuck pretty badly and at first I thought I might be able to pull her through if I did an embryotery but as I was doing that I realised the kid had ruptured down through the uterus and into the bowel. So we euthanased her. I doubt she would have made it through the day anyway - not much you can do for a ruptured uterus.

Anyway that was hard. Its funny, because I've had situations like that and similar at work, and have had to euthanase animals, but it hits you a lot harder when its your own animal. Poor old girl. She was a darn good female too - always raised triplets twice a year, and the kids were stunning, even though she was nothing pretty to look at.

So now I've got poddies.

Anyway, sorry about the novel but I've been quite busy and havent had time to update.

Hope everyone is getting some rain (we got 8ml the other day).

Bye.

Time now for the rain to ease. We've had 5 inches now at home and over 6 at one of our blocks 20 ks to our east. The gullies and rivers are running well. Wil have few fences to fix no doubt.
Tenterfield breeders did well with the Grand Champion female of the Brisbane show in the Murray Grey breed.
Our yards are so wet and very muddy. Waiting to get our round bales. Down to about 6 left.
Haven't seen the sun for about a week.
Colin
PS some areas to our east towards the coast have had upwards of 20 inches for the week. This month is always been a dry one. We thought last year when we had 5 inches for August that it was great. Its great again.

Long time no post everyone.

We recently just moved(about a month ago). And we've just got internet back on.

Had Ekka last week. Got a 2nd.

Charolais' got both Interbreed titles plus the Interbreed Pair.

One of the fella's we were with got Interbreed Small Breeds Bull.

Carla if you don't mind me asking, who were you up here with?

There's an 80% chance I'll be at Sydney next year, with Senepols and possibly Dexters.

I have pics of my steer, just gotta get the time to upload them now we're on dial-up.

Anyways, talk to everyone later, glad to be back here!

:welcome: back Bek!

Nothing much to say really.

My poddies are still alive. Going well.

Bek you will have to take some photos of your new place, too.

Was at the Riverina Outlook conference yesterday which was held at uni. Some interesting stuff. Transcripts of the papers presented at the conference are available at the following link:
http://www.grahamcentre.net

Anyway, thats my two cents for today.

I'll try and get some pics of the new place, I wish I had a camera on me, it's been raining for the past week or so, and everything looks green..

My steers are having a ball playing in the puddles :p

Glad to here your poddies are going well Keren.

Just a quick post... in the middle of getting ready for Adelaide, which is going to be minus horses this year as a result of the equine flu.
Bek, I was up working for Scott Ferguson... we had most of the Santas entered plus seven Shorties. It was a great couple of weeks!
Only six head for Adelaide, plus two steers, but I've been flat out the last couple weeks getting round clipping school cattle and the like.
Talk to you all soon....
Carla.
PS- We need a rain!

Carla, Ekka always is a good couple of weeks, always lots of fun. Apart from a couple of nights where we had stuff stolen. But I ended up getting a very well paying job out of it so I was happy.

Good luck at Adelaide!

Thought I'd try to liven this up a bit.

A good lot of rain this week, all three of our dams are full, so we've got plenty of water.

That's on a good note.

On a bad note, I had quite a bad falling out with my boss :( and unfortunately end up losing my steer out of it :( ah well, I've been offered another job, very luckily, so I'll take that one :D

My steers at home are looking awesome though, I'm actually considering putting one on show feed for next years season.

Wow, havent kept up with this for a while. Actually I havent been able to find time to do much posting lately.

I hadnt been online in a couple of weeks and when I logged on to check my email I had 43 new emails :shock:

Sorry to hear bout your job Bek. Thats rough.

I went through something like that a few years ago, and cant even get a reference from the bugger, after two years of working there. And to top it off it was the 'fault' of a friend who worked there, not me. So I lost the job and a good mate.

I have been so busy my heads going to explode. So much work still to do for melb. Have the 25 goats going well, started clipping yesterday. Still have to break in four of them. Had a little hiccough with the hoof n hook wethers - we'd brought them in from the feedlot group a fortnight ago, and put them into the yards with the show team. Kept them on the same feed and all but for some reason they have all lost a substantial amount of weight. So I think we are just going to have to weigh the whole lot on friday morning before we leave, and pick the ones that will fit the weight category. Pity, because they have to be entered in groups of three, and we had two groups that were very consistent in both weight and appearance.

Cattle have all been turned out into the paddocks with the main herd, because they are doing just as well on the grass as if we were feeding them. Will have to bring them in sometime this week I think, to clean the green feed out of them. Will be weighing the bulls tomorrow, doing stick work with the two new heifers and going through the show box. Gotta make sure we've got enough leather halters for eight and a half head!

My poddies are still doing well. I've got a fourth one now - she's a fullblood doe I was given by the boss. I thought that was a pretty good deal considering she's a registerable, showable fullblood with some pretty good bloodlines, and I'm already feeding anyway. Weighed the older ones - 4 and 5 weeks old now - the have been gaining 1.5kg a week. Not bad going.

Looks like it might rain today. Have had a few showers the last week or so but nothing to relieve us. Grass is beginning to hay off. My stud does havent arrived yet - I've got feed up to my knees and nothing to eat it - and the way its looking its going to be gone by the time I get them. I'd love a bit of rain so the feed will hang around for a few more weeks.

Henty machinery field days are next week. I will be working there all three days, non stop. Volunteer work for my old primary school though, so no pay. But I dont mind. Will be busy though - we leave for melb with the goats on friday lunchtime.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Cant believe melb is so close!!!!

Hope everyone is getting wet.

Cya

Lucky you! It's bloody hot up here.

Very green up here at the moment, my horse and the steers are loving it.

Went up to Ag Show last week, prices weren't very high this year, top price Charolais was $10 000, didn't see any of the other breeds, a mate of mine sold one for $7000. Which is fairly low compared to other years.

Hope you go well at Melbourne Keren!!

We start with the show teams for next year, very soon.

Wow it's been almost two weeks since anyone posted :shock: :p

Just thought I'd keep it from dropping off the face of the earth.

Wow I'm 16 in a week :shock:

Latest posts