The Aussie Thread

Help Support CattleToday:

Maybe some of the Aussies would comment on this article-- how true it is with whats happening over there....

Australia beef crisis hits as drought decimates wheat

Published Thursday, September 27, 2007 at 05:01 AMSYDNEY, Sept 27 (Reuters) - Record high grain prices have thrown Australia's A$4 billion ($3.5 billion) beef cattle industry into disarray, emptying feedlots, cutting cattle saleyard prices and triggering price rises for domestic and exported beef.

The world's biggest beef exporter by value and the second-biggest exporter by volume, parts of Australia's beef industry have begun to shut down after feed grain prices doubled since June because of the decimation of crops by drought.

"Supplies of quality beef onto the domestic market and to export markets are going to start reducing quite substantially," said Malcolm Foster, president of the Australian Lotfeeders Association.

"It's very bad. There wouldn't be a feedlot making money now," he said. Australia has 700 feedlots.

Cattle on feed had already begun to drop off and the industry, now urgently counting numbers around the country, was already in crisis, Foster said.

"You will certainly see shortages of quality beef ... And because pasture conditions are impacted by drought, the cattle aren't going to be anything very flash," he said.

Beef prices would shoot up until consumers were no longer willing to pay, Foster said. "It's already started," he said.

Peter Weeks, chief market analyst at industry representative body Meat & Livestock Australia, sees price rises looming for Australia's big export trade, to Japan and Korea in North Asia, and to the United States. "Something has to give. If they don't get relief from grain prices coming down suddenly, and it doesn't like like they will, then the relief has to come through with increased prices to customers overseas," he said.

Feedlots fatten steers before export to lucrative markets overseas, mainly using wheat, barley and sorghum. Prices of all grains have soared as drought decimated crops.

Wheat futures prices have almost doubled since May, from less than A$250 a tonne to a recent record high of A$492 on the Australian Stock Exchange.

The Australian government last week slashed its forecast of the national wheat crop by over 30 percent to 15.5 million tonnes. Private forecasters say the crop could fall to 12 million tonnes, less than half first forecasts of 26 million tonnes.

Cattle saleyard prices have dropped as feedlot demand dries up. Compared with a year ago, feeder steer prices were last week down by between 10 percent and 17 percent, depending on location, to 172 cents a kilogram in the cattle state of Queensland.

Prices have fallen by 13 percent over the last month alone, with longfed cattle prices down by as much as 20 percent.

In many areas, farmers have opened the gates on grain growing fields, letting livestock loose to eat dried-out crops.

Weeks sees beef supplies falling into the peak export season, between November and January, to pressure supplies to the key north Asian markets of Japan and Korea.

Anecdotal evidence showed that many feedlots had completely closed down, including medium-sized feedlots, not just small opportunity lots, Weeks said.

This time last year, most feedlots had full pens, in preparation for the peak export season. This year, none are at full capacity and those still operating had cut back, he said.

Looming imports of grain -- only the second time Australia has been forced to import wheat since colonial times -- will not assist the cattle industry.

Australian quarantine regulations prohibit the transport of unprocessed imported grain beyond metropolitan areas, and a A$40 a tonne processing cost is prohibitively expensive for the cattle industry, Foster said.

The last time imports occurred, in 2003, none went upcountry.

As crops shrink fast, much of Australia's beef cattle industry would have to close down, Foster said. "And wait it out." ($1=A$1.14)

http://www.kticam.com

Things aren't that good over here at the moment.Cattle prices are fairly low.Its still dry and many farmers down in the southern states planted large acreages when the good falls of rain happened a few months back. Virtually nothing has fallen since. We are still quite dry despite the green tinge.Grain prices are going to skyrocket. The report seems spot on.
Colin

Australian Cowman--We go thru enough droughts up here that I just hate to see anyone have to go thru them...But it sure looks like the price of grains isn't going to be dropping any soon- and the cattle shortage is going to raise all the prices around the world....

Just read an article about a new type of rust thats threatening much of the worlds wheat production...Demand and prices could get interesting.....Heres an article from a commodity brokerage site....May get interesting....I know a lot of folks up here are seeding everything they have into winter wheat...

From Moneynews:
Now, a Massive Pesticide-Resistant Fungus is Threatening Worldwide
Wheat Crops and About to Send Prices to Record Highs.

A massive pesticide-resistant fungus known as “wheat rust Ug99,” is threatening billions of dollars of wheat crops in Asia. This fungus, which is named for the place and date of its first discovery (Uganda in 1999), has spread across East Africa and the Middle East and is now threatening wheat crops in Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and India with chilling implications.

So far NO cure has been found to kill this fungus!

The last outbreak of stem rust in North America in 1954 wiped out 40% of the region’s wheat crop, sending food prices through the roof.

The fungus is destroying wheat harvests at a time when the world’s supply of wheat is already stressed to the breaking point. The consumption of wheat has outstripped the available supply during six of the past seven years.

The increased demand for crop-based fuels is forcing prices of wheat, corn and other grains higher as well. This latest need for these types of alternative energy sources is putting pressure on food prices throughout the world and unleashing a unique source of inflationary pressure.

Global grain supplies are at their lowest level in more than three decades and some experts fear the situation could get worse if more crops are set aside to make ethanol or other forms of alternative energy.

A major crisis is about to unfold. The warning signs are everywhere:

On August 31 wheat futures in Chicago hit a record high on track for the biggest monthly gain in 34 years!
Skyrocketing demand from South Korea and India reduced inventories to dangerously low levels.
Prices for the grain have doubled in the past year as poor weather in Australia, parts of Canada, Europe, and the Ukraine, damaged crops
According to the U.S, Department of Agriculture, global stockpiles of wheat have fallen to the lowest level in 26 years.
Furthermore, China’s growing demand for food products has quadrupled over the past five years, and continues to rise today. In fact China and India are coming dangerously close to a situation where nothing short of a miracle harvest will be enough to meet their needs and prevent additional increases in already surging food prices.

Fueled by rapid economic growth, China and India, as well as scores of other emerging economies, expect to see food prices soar even higher in the coming year.

And like the current housing crisis in America, the news will get worse before it gets better.

The good news for investors is that most crises also create opportunities to make big profits.

Only heard yesterday that there is a rust or some disease thats in Australian wheat. It has reached Tasmania. The big Brahman Sales started 10 minutes ago in Rockhampton Queensland. It'll be interesting to see the top prices. Last weeks top for a Droughtmaster was a record for that breed of $150,000. The week before a DM bull made $100,000. They are very good cattle I might add.
Colin

Australian Cattleman":1d5fh5k6 said:
Only heard yesterday that there is a rust or some disease thats in Australian wheat. It has reached Tasmania.

Thats all a guy would need now!!! Besides the spores being able to be carried 1000's of miles in the wind-- they said some of this has been spread on peoples clothes-- or could be by terrorists!

The big Brahman Sales started 10 minutes ago in Rockhampton Queensland. It'll be interesting to see the top prices. Last weeks top for a Droughtmaster was a record for that breed of $150,000. The week before a DM bull made $100,000. They are very good cattle I might add.
Colin
At those prices they better be very good :shock: Looks like at least some folks still got some moldy Australian dollars laying around ;-) :lol:

Saw the top price for the Droughtie's last week, $150 000, the same bloke paid $42 500 for a cow and calf the week before.

It'll be interesting to see if Brahman Week can top last year.

Australian Cattleman":3cd0orco said:
Our current rate for each Australian dollar it is worth 88 US cents.The highest for 18 years

Just wait a little while--Won't be long and GW will have yours worth more than ours.. :shock: :( :(

Australian Cattleman":2grhjctd said:
Top on day one was $55,000 for a grey bull from Theodore. Friends of mine sold bulls at $20,00,$24,000 and $25,000.
Most of the top money was paid for polled bulls.Good thing I'm breeding polled Brahmans now.

Just curious, was that Bizzy?

Be interesting to see what prices they get tomorrow.

cool easterly here tonight,misty rain had 4 mls yesterday,luckily we had none of the severe storms they had down to our east in Lismore. Supposed to be a band of storms coming down from Queensland over the next couple of days.Been busy at work,have had 6 retrievals by helicopter in the past ten days let alone the ambulance road transports. Mainly sick people and a few motorbike accidents. Had one this afternoon bone sticking out of his leg,came off his motorbike. Sent him by chopper to Tamworth.Work doesn't leave much tome for farm work at times. The moneys good though.

Been flammin busy lately,work and more work on farm and off. Did the branding last weekend. Did 100 calves still have about the same to go. Brahmans are about to get into the full swing of calving. Herefords and blck baldies and other crossbreds have all but finished. South Devons have about 20 to go. Hopeful we might be in for some good rain over the next few days. Hope you get some Keren and the other Australians on the board. We are dry here but really compared to other areas its lush. Shame to see Michael O'Sullivan is leaving the Limousin breed. His dispersal should go well hopefully. He's moving to just west of Brisbane. I'd love to be closer to have a look at his show gear that he's selling.
Get wet.
Colin

We got 8 ml of rain. Not much, settled the dust but thats all.

I'm off to Cargills in about half an hour for a uni prac. Should be alright, havent been in an abs since meat judging this yr so I'm raring to go! lol

All my goats are doing pretty well. The old girls are getting more calm - managed to catch one in the paddock yesterday to trim her feet. No kids yet - we thought at shearing they looked about a month away, its been three weeks? I think and they still look about a month away. Its annoying we dont have a date - because the buck got through the fence - but I will just have to keep watching and waiting.

Went to Cobram show on the weekend with goats. That was an interesting experience. We got halfway there with the tandem trailer full of goats, and lost a wheel. So we had to go slowly home (40 kph), get the small trailer from the women up the road who had borrowed it, and we only brought half the team. But we ended up with two reserve champion doe ribbons, and 7 placings from 7 animals.

Actually, it was the first time goats had been exhibited at Cobram, and we were really well recieved, both by the show society and the general public. The show society were very keen to help, asking what we needed for next year and wanting to know more about goats in general. They have asked for some Angoras for next year as well. There were plenty of inquiries all day about goats and we gave out a heap of business cards.

What was very pleasing was the interest we got in harness goats. We had the wether there in harness and took him around the grounds and in the grand parade. We are slowly getting people interested in it.

wow, cant believe how much I just wrote. Its almost time to go to the abs and I have to clean my boots so I will cya later.

Got 16mls in the space of two hours here today. Big storm coming through now!

A relavtively big Charolais stud up here is having a complete female dispersal. Hopefully I might be able start my stud!

Hope everyone's doing well!

Latest posts