Tis the Season

Help Support CattleToday:

Logan52

Reaction score
I am a cattle producer who time has sort of left behind, my small herd of home raised cows are small change compared to the truck load lots that line up at the yards when I take my calves off. Any consideration I get is due to long term friendship, not the money I am making for the yard.
Still, this morning the sun came up in the east to light a brilliant clear sky as I went out to check on the three just born black heifers born to cows that I knew their grand mamas and great-great grand mamas. They followed me to the trough to get their taste of morning grain and I was filled with thankfulness. Even though I am old I can still dream of what I might breed those heifers to.
Tis the season for thankfulness and I am full.

I am a cattle producer who time has sort of left behind, my small herd of home raised cows are small change compared to the truck load lots that line up at the yards when I take my calves off. Any consideration I get is due to long term friendship, not the money I am making for the yard.
Still, this morning the sun came up in the east to light a brilliant clear sky as I went out to check on the three just born black heifers born to cows that I knew their grand mamas and great-great grand mamas. They followed me to the trough to get their taste of morning grain and I was filled with thankfulness. Even though I am old I can still dream of what I might breed those heifers to.
Tis the season for thankfulness and I am full.
I heard a statistic the other day that said the average US herd is 40 head so if you think about all the folks with hundreds of head bringing up that average, that means there's a lot of small producers out here. In my area there are a few with big herds but there are alot more with 10 head or less. It's hard to find much pasture around here for lease, the big producers have all of the big places and there are some wealthy Dr.'s and a few investors out of Memphis that have big operations around.

Little Joe how far are you from Pocahontas ? My son has a duck lease there and we hunted a couple of weekends ago .

I heard a statistic the other day that said the average US herd is 40 head so if you think about all the folks with hundreds of head bringing up that average, that means there's a lot of small producers out here. In my area there are a few with big herds but there are alot more with 10 head or less. It's hard to find much pasture around here for lease, the big producers have all of the big places and there are some wealthy Dr.'s and a few investors out of Memphis that have big operations around.
You can blame me. I bring the average way down in almost all endeavors, except for fishing and pleasing the ladies.

Yes sir , and that was the weekend that the storms came through that hit Nashville. Most of the rain went south of us but we got rained on , on Saturday

Any consideration I get is due to long term friendship, not the money I am making for the yard.
This is some thing most people will never understand. If you do this... prosperity will tend to follow. Most people want to put their profits and success first and the rest be damned. They never find peace for a host of reasons, despite what they try to tell you.

One of most valuable assets you have is your relationships, for both material and spiritual wealth.