986mm for the year

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
As part of your metrification education I'll let you all do the conversion to pounds shillings and pence. I put our average rainfall at about 860mm so we did well. Last summer was dry but we had good moisture in the ground left over from a couple of very wet years so we got by and then had good rain in autumn that got the paddocks in good nick for over winter. Spring was tough but once the storms started coming through they have been at good intervals. I have enjoyed summer so far, some hot days but the grass has grown well along with the calves. I am enjoying getting around the place tidying up a lot of fallen trees from the previous wet years on ground that has finally dried out. If every year was like 2023 I could deal with that. Cattle prices have rallied a bit from extreme lows so am hopeful of some prices that are fair to me and fair for further down the line at the upcoming weaner sales in March.

So to all my CT friends I wish you all the best for the new year, good health and a year like 2023 has been for me.

Ken

I can't imagine what 86 cm's of rain would be like. 450mm is a good annual precip here. I think 2023 was officially 360mm and I know we got less than that on the ranch.

Is it normally that wet at your place? We can deal quite comfortably with that, 860mm would be average.

Ken
We normally get between 55 and 65 inches a year. The Southern Appalachian highlands where I live is considered a deciduous rain forest. Pasture rarely runs short, but getting hay up dry is a challenge.

We average in the 40-50 +/- INCHES a year...so if you say 45 for average x 25.4 (for mm).... that's 1143 mm ?
We get somewhere in the average of 3.5 to 4 inches a month... but not usually spread out that good. We like to see about 1/2 to1 inch a week overall average...

Maybe !8 to 20 inches here on average. Some years a lot more, last year a lot less.

You gotta talk to @Jeanne - Simme Valley about mud right now. Although, hers might actually be frozen now. I think its "cooled down" the past several days.
We average 120" snow each winter. Just finally got our first "real" snowfall. Maybe 6"
We average 40" rain. I think we got most of that during this fall and early winter. We normally have lots of snow for December. RARELY don't have a white Christmas. Not this year. Just mud.
And YES. We froze before this snowfall. Not frozen DEEP, but frozen. It was a nightmare for the cows trying to walk around - first deep mud, then frozen lumpy bumpy - until NOW, with this beautiful snow!!! Sooo much healthier for the cattle - cows and calves!

Very ordinary year here, only 342.5 mm or 13.7 inches. Dams (ponds) very low and have been supplementary feeding half our cattle since May. Hard to believe after 3 wet years and floodwaters everywhere 14 months ago.
This summer eastern Australia has been subject to wild storms and flooding but we must be in a dry patch, and only 420 kilometres by road west of Sydney. Very disappointing when the rain belts split and go north and south of us.

Very ordinary year here, only 342.5 mm or 13.7 inches. Dams (ponds) very low and have been supplementary feeding half our cattle since May. Hard to believe after 3 wet years and floodwaters everywhere 14 months ago.
This summer eastern Australia has been subject to wild storms and flooding but we must be in a dry patch, and only 420 kilometres by road west of Sydney. Very disappointing when the rain belts split and go north and south of us.
That is tough Lyn, those storms can be very flukey. Though we do well on average, storms from the SW tend to get deviated by the hills around us yet when they come up from the south from Tenterfield way they tend to go parallel to the range and we do well.

Ken

Very disappointing when the rain belts split and go north and south of us.
A common occurrence here in central Texas as well. Huge cells of solid clouds come and suddenly open up to the N & S and go around us.
I call it 'The Hole in the Sky'.