Plans for the year

Help Support CattleToday:

littletom

Reaction score
Today I sold my final load of tobacco from the 22 crop. All my h2a boys are gone home. Cows won't start calving for 6 weeks. Just feeding to do everyday. I can start planning for this year. What are somethings you are doing different this year. More cows, less cows, a new crop, new tractor?

Yes probably about same acres somewhere between 90-100. Kinda limited there because of curing space and worker housing. Going to do few more acres soybeans. Selling cows one place several reasons. But they are on 20 acres of ground to good for pasture. That will be beans this year tobacco next.

I will probably continue to scale back. I am small potatoes anyway but the amount of time and resources it takes for the money returned is just not worth it in my area. Going to give up another lease I am pretty sure. Fuel and fertilizer are high so maintaining somebody else's land gets pricey. Got more than I can do at work so time is a premium as well. Gonna go to what the home farm will hold and cut just the 2 largest tracts of hay.

My plans are similar to every year. Plan on making bank in the cattle biz ha! Told my wife this will actually be the year!

Plan to grow the cattle numbers. Hopefully will make some convenience purchases - bigger cab tractor, bigger feed bin, stock trailer, maybe side by side.

Farm house renovation project this year and will run into next. Cow numbers will be about the same.

Windbreaks. We just don't have enough protected areas. Need a 4WD tractor with a cab, but windbreaks and a couple more calf sheds would be more bang for the buck.

Planting some cover crops with the intention of extending fall and early spring grazing with a better quality of forage and rebuild some soil health.
Seems like that's something I try to do as an experiment every few years and can't honestly say that it's ever penciled out.

Seems like that's something I try to do as an experiment every few years and can't honestly say that it's ever penciled out.
This is 1st year giving it a try. Only planted a few acres, Goal is to try and extend grazing season and cut back on hay. Will see how it works out.

Latest posts