Close the door Nesi!

Help Support CattleToday:

put out two round bales and some cubes yesterday...they're going to have to make that work a couple of days...the hay will probably last about a week and I can take more cubes down there in a nice warm truck. Looks like the next couple of weeks will have overnight lows in the teens and 20's...that's pretty dang chilly for this part of the world...high Monday is forecast to be 29. Nothing like y'all in the great white north but pretty dang chilly here...

What even does -43 C feel like? Is it much different to -5 C ??? That to 35C is about the temp range of where I live stable in terms of temp I suppose, weather another matter.
The UK being surrounded by water helps. Like in Australia our winter fronts from the Antarctic travel a long way over water which warms them up. Your temp range is similar to mine.

Ken

The UK being surrounded by water helps. Like in Australia our winter fronts from the Antarctic travel a long way over water which warms them up. Your temp range is similar to mine.

Ken
Yes it helps those 'warm' atlantic lows from the Americas are always dumping rain on us and always scupper any chance of snow around here. Snow is rare here. Theres a chance of snow this week but the snow band looks to be pushed to the south now they think. -5C was probably optimistic -15C to 35C is probably nearer to the truth. But is cold wet colder than dry cold ? Its funny I remember when I toured Australia in my gap year after school going up the east coast during your 'winter' entering Queensland driving an old mitsubishi van and the radio was talking about the cold, I didn't really know what they were on about. People were phoning in not knowing what to do and there was a big discussion about wether or not to buy a 'heater' or not for their homes as many didn't have one lol. You guys have it tough during winter. Stay warm Ken down under.

Yes it helps those 'warm' atlantic lows from the Americas are always dumping rain on us and always scupper any chance of snow around here. Snow is rare here. Theres a chance of snow this week but the snow band looks to be pushed to the south now they think. -5C was probably optimistic -15C to 35C is probably nearer to the truth. But is cold wet colder than dry cold ? Its funny I remember when I toured Australia in my gap year after school going up the east coast during your 'winter' entering Queensland driving an old mitsubishi van and the radio was talking about the cold, I didn't really know what they were on about. People were phoning in not knowing what to do and there was a big discussion about wether or not to buy a 'heater' or not for their homes as many didn't have one lol. You guys have it tough during winter. Stay warm Ken down under.
We are a little inland and at an altitude of 960m so we do have a bit of a winter that necessitates the fire. My grandson will visit in winter coming up from the coast from Brisbane just wearing shorts and a T shirt and will then want to borrow a coat. Grandson and granddaughter sail all year round though over winter it is mostly training.

Ken

What even does -43 C feel like? Is it much different to -5 C ??? That to 35C is about the temp range of where I live stable in terms of temp I suppose, weather another matter.
when it gets -43f propane gels and heaters etc stop working. even at - 30 while outside doing chore (fast) the inside of nostrils will feel like they freeze with each breath and eyelids freeze open sometimes when just looking through two holes in a face mask. Its only -14f here at this time so not s bad as those out west.

I always wake the rooster in the morning. Somebody has to be sure he punches the time clock and gets to work.
This morning I had to flush them all off the roost an hour after sunrise.

Seems to me the holes would freeze over in short order at those temps. We've had to do that here around 0F and it doesn't last very long.
-12 current wind chill. Just got back from breaking ice in the west 80 (pipes in the well house froze - and broke) and I'll have to go back a couple more times today. Agree; I would think our northern friends would have to do it every few hours.

-12 current wind chill. Just got back from breaking ice in the west 80 (pipes in the well house froze - and broke) and I'll have to go back a couple more times today. Agree; I would think our northern friends would have to do it every few hours.
They stay open as long as they continue to drink. If they leave the hole alone for a time it will definitely freeze over. If they are due for water generally you open it once, the herd drinks then they survive until the next day.

We're froze up too. I keep a heater in the stock tank. And built a new well house couple months ago. Problem is, they ran the water supply line into the house too close to the skirting (trailer house)
I've got a heater under the house now. Hopefully we thaw out soon enough. Been fortunate nothing ever bursts.
Tank heater don't keep up when the wind gets to howling...
20240114_093741.jpg
Don't take much to bust that up tho

I have posted this before and it will help some. Probably not the far north though
Put a couple cups of salt in gallon jugs. Fill 1/3 with water. Throw them in the tank. The salt wont allow the jugs to freeze and it will keep a small area open. The cows will push on the jugs to get the water below.