The Aussie Thread

Help Support CattleToday:

I was hoping to go to Canberra this year, but that went out the window when no one decided to give me a job, so I can't even afford to come down for a look, looks like Sydney's gone to.
No showing makes for a dull year.
Although one good thing, my best mate has moved up this way, only an hour or so away now, instead of four, so that's good.
Head up to Charters Towers next month. 20th we leave, 26 we get back, or 27th, then off to Brisbane for the Brooks & Dunn concert on the 29th, busy week for me

The dreaded Angus :lol: The dreaded Charolais goes with that for you doesn't it Keren :lol:

Hasn't rained well for over a week here, things are starting to dry out, it comes as quick as it goes here.

Make sure you come round and see us if you make it to the goat shed, Jack. I will have my own angoras and boers there, as well as working for a boer stud and a murray grey stud. Stud name is Pacqio.

Ah, Bek, that sucks. You would be welcome to come give me a hand, cept I cant afford to pay anyone to help me at the moment, so I have to tough it out by myself :lol:

Yeah, dreaded Angus, dreaded Charolais, dreaded Black Limousin, black Simmy . . . I could keep going for a while. I'm just glad our Shorties and Maine Anjou are still brown :lol:

Ho hum, not too much to say today.

Finally got the back part of my block fenced and put the goats out, there is mainly dry feed with a little bit of green, but it is almost as tall as me (1.5 m). Anyway, I was so glad because that meant I wouldnt have to feed out as much grain. But stupid me, I had to go and wean the kids, didnt I. So now I am putting out more feed than before, plus hay, because the kids are separated off in the eaten out paddocks :roll:

So, so, so, so much to do before Henty show next week. Why oh why oh why was I stupid enough to say that I would run the goat section??? (Bugger, I cant find the bashing head against a brick wall smiley)

May have a job for Sydney now. Just waiting for someone to talk to someone else :p

Seriously though, I was talking to my best mate last night, and she said she's going to talk to the people she's working for. At the moment, one seems pretty keen, but she hasnt spoken to the other one yet.

Fingers crossed

Chinese man decides to move to Australia after 50 years of living in Shanghai. He buys a small piece of land near to Mt Isa. A few days after moving in the friendly Aussie neighbour decides to go across and welcome the new guy to the region, so he goes next door but on his
way up the drive-way he sees the Chinese man running around his front yard chasing about 10 hens not wanting to interrupt these "Chinese customs", he decides to put the welcome on hold for the day.

The next day, he decides to try again, but just as he is about to knock on the front door, he looks through the window and sees the Chinese man urinate into a glass and then drink it. Not wanting to interrupt another "Chinese custom", he decides to put the welcome on
hold for yet another day. A day later he decides to give it one last go, but on his way next door, he sees the Chinese man leading a bull down the drive-way, pause, and then put his head next to the bull's bum.

The Aussie bloke can't handle this, so he goes up to the Chinese man and says "Jeez Mate, what the hell is it with your Chinese customs?
I come over to welcome you to the neighbourhood, and see you running around the yard after hens. The next day you are pissing in a glass, and drinking it, and then today you have your head so close to that bull's bum, it could just about **** on you."

The Chinese man is very taken back and says "Sorry sir, you no understand, these no Chinese customs I doing, these Australian Customs."

"What do you mean mate" says the Aussie, "Those aren't
Australian customs."

"Yes they are, man at travel agent tell me" replied the Chinese man," He say to become true Australian, I learn chase chicks, drink pi**, and listen to 'BS"

was sent this today from a cousin in Aus: thought someone might find it funny. I did. :banana: :tiphat:

Nah I haven't Keren. I was just wondering the same thing actually. It's been a really long time. I hope everything is alright.

Love the joke to, thats a Queensland joke as well as an aussie one, I must say us Queenslander's are the typical yobbo stereotype, well I try not to be, but it just happens in Queensland :lol:

I'm supposed to go up to Charters Towers next week, don't want to though, then again that's also if it stops raining.

Yeah, I think it was a bit after Sydney show I last heard from her. Hope she's okay.

Glad to hear its raining at your place. It just started here - 2 ml so far. Looks like its set to stay for a while.

Got my boys (Charlie and Chaplin) back from work after the show. They had been very good, not jumping, trained to the dogs, trained to the electric fence, not so attached to me anymore. I get them home the first thing they do is jump. They are jumping, hitting the electric wire and just putting up with the zap. I honestly do not know what to do with them. They are tied up at the moment, but I can have them tied up for their whole life. Ideas, anyone? I really dont want to eat them, apart from the fact that I am attached to them, I have put so much money into them. All the milk powder, plus getting Chaplin desexed ($550). It would be a huge loss. Plus I dont know if I could do it. I love em so much, the bl00dy little sh1ts. ah why o why do I like goats?? :cry2:

Is there anywhere else you can put em?
That'd be the only thing I can think of.

I'm actually starting to get sick of the rain, it's pretty much been on and off since Christmas, although it seems we're the only place in QLD that hasn't flooded.

lol Jack. I do know what you mean though, Bek. As bad as it sounds, its easier on my mind when it doesnt rain, because my block tends to flood, so when its raining I'm constantly worrying about whether the goats have got enough shelter.

Yeah, I've been trying them in different pens and paddocks and its no go. Have thought about just leaving them at work . . . it might be the only option left. But it sort of makes it difficult when I want to train them and besides -- I like having them around :)

Actually today I came up with another idea -- I'm going to try and hobble them, but put the hobbles on one front leg and one back leg. So when they try to jump they cant lift their front legs up. Will see how that goes. If not, going to try tying a tyre to them.

We got 10 ml today. Nice.

lol Jack, its just easier at the moment if it doesn't rain, theres no where else for the water to go. The fact that it's raining doesnt bother me, just what happens after rain. Plus I can't do anything when it's raining. Well anything productive anyway.

I've been having so many problems with fences lately, one of my steers keeps getting out, no matter what I try, he'll find someway to get out, so they're in the cattle yards for now, while I figure out what to do. I think he might end up in the freezer or at the sales. I was just going to keep em as pets, coz we've sorta got attached to em, because they were my first ones. But I'm just getting so sick of fixing fences every second weekend. Plus the other one never tries, even when the first one gets out he doesnt try to.

I think I should of just stuck to horses, they're to big to get out :p

Five Feet High N Risin'! Gotta look at it in a better way when the Man In Black sings about it :D

I agree, slow it down, that would be better.

Roads are cut off between Mackay & Townsville...my trip, well going to work, coz that's what I'm going to be doing, is looking less likely to happen everyday.

Bek, does the steer go over, under or through holes?

If its over or under, try a hot wire. If he goes through holes, get three bits of polypipe, make them into a triangle with some duct tape and attach it around his neck, so he can stick his head through but cant get it any further.

If that doesnt work, I have more tricks up my sleeve. I have goats, after all :lol: Trying something new with the boys today. I put a collar on them, and tied a rope from the collar to the back leg, so that they cant extend the leg backwards to jump. So far its working, fingers crossed.

Off to Canberra next week! :shock: Not prepared in the slightest!

It's both, if he cant get under he'll break the fence to get through.

He's just one that'll do anything to get out.

Good luck at Canberra Keren!

Are you taking the greys to Sydney this year?

Nah, quiet year with the greys, only two heifers for canberra, no greys for sydney. I have to get a hold of my sydney contacts actually, I'll either be there with Square Meaters, Shorthorns or Boer Goats, or some combination of them. So much to do before canberra . . . better go. Cya.

Supposed to be in Charters Towers right now....still flooded up there, so it was postponed.

I'm still not sure on Sydney yet. Might have to go to the Towers then now..really really don't want to.

Still no job...still no money

Good luck at Canberra Keren.

Latest posts