The Aussie Thread

Help Support CattleToday:

Yeah what a tragedy that accident has been. We have family down that way, but they were closer to Melbourne, so we were very lucky in that aspect.

Sorta get a break this weekend. Although I've got calves I'm starting to break in as Led steers for next year. No show though, so it wont be as hectic.

Got some exciting news. We're moving within the next couple of months. It'll be a much bigger property than the measly 10 acres we have at the moment. Mum and Dad have said I can start my own stud once we move, not sure what breed yet though.

Bek":31r3bf5n said:
Yeah what a tragedy that accident has been. We have family down that way, but they were closer to Melbourne, so we were very lucky in that aspect.

Sorta get a break this weekend. Although I've got calves I'm starting to break in as Led steers for next year. No show though, so it wont be as hectic.

Got some exciting news. We're moving within the next couple of months. It'll be a much bigger property than the measly 10 acres we have at the moment. Mum and Dad have said I can start my own stud once we move, not sure what breed yet though.

MURRAY GREY cattle and ANGORA goats!!! lol just kidding. Now I'm all excited for you. And you completely made me forget what I came on here to post, which was:

Grrrr I am so mad, at uni our class had separated off a bunch of ewes, we'd spent quite a while synchronising them, and today we were supposed to cervically AI them, with about 5 ewes for each of us. Well, the vet students this morning decided that they would like to learn how to do cervical AI, and one of the technicians said, oh I think there is a mob that were sync'd, you can do them! It was our last prac for the semester so theres no time to sync a new mob. As a last resort because we still wanted to learn how to do it, we ended up bringing in some old culls and AIing them with milk :shock:

Anyway. Thats my report for today. And Bek, I'm still all excited for you! :D

Haha thanks, I'm excited to.

I don't think I'd get more goats, Rocky doesn't like other goats, lol.

Murray Grey's I have been thinking about, for a variety of different reasons. One of them is because they're polled, I'm sick of bloody horned animals, they officially do not like me :p

The Uni thing sounds like a bit of bummer, after doing all that work and getting it kicked back in your face.

Big weekend, headed up looking at properties with mum and dad, then spent the whole day getting feed and water for the cattle then today, was the busiest though.

This was all done between 8am and 12.30pm.

Did morning feeds
Applied pour on to 40 head. - Got poison all over me
Tied up our main show bull, trying to get a bit of the flightiness out of him
Started breaking in 2 led steers for next year, just tieing up today.
Brought in 2 cow and calf pairs in to the yards
Then got water again

I was just wondering if any of the Australian ranchers have an opinion about all the foreign multinational companies (Swift/JBS Friboi( Brazil)-Australian Meat Holdings (US), Nippon Meat Packers Australia (Japan) Cargill Beef Australia (US) and Rockdale Beef (Japan)) buying up the major share of the slaughter capacity of the country- along with a huge amount of the feeding capacity of Australian cattle?

JBS/Swift now controls the world’s largest killing capacity, of 45,715 head per day in 35 plants worldwide…

JBS Friboi: From five head to 22,600

By JON CONDON

North Queensland Register

Monday, 11 June 2007

Australia

Few red meat industry stakeholders in Australia have any real knowledge about JBS Friboi, the new owner of Australia Meat Holdings.

This is despite the fact that it is already one of the largest exporters of beef and beef products in the world.

JBS acquired Australia's biggest meatworks group when it bought Swift and Co, the big US meat processor which owned AMH.

JBS has grown into what is now the world’s largest meat company, gauged by killing capacity, from the most humble of beginnings.

The family-controlled business founded by Jose Batista started as a slaughterhouse killing just five head a day in 1953 in the Brazilian city of Anapolis.

Acquisitions of small Brazilian plants took daily capacity to 500 head by 1970, and the scale of operations continued to grow steadily over the next 30 years, building to 5800 head/day by 2001.

Since then, growth has occurred at a more dramatic pace, lifting to 22,600 head/day in 22 plants in Brazil and five in Argentina prior to the most recent Swift and Co takeover.

In 2005, JBS indirectly acquired 100pc of the share capital of Swift, the largest producer and exporter of beef in Argentina.

Today, the founder, Jose Batista, together with three sons and three daughters, including Jose Jr are actively involved in the company’s operations.

The company says it enjoys higher profit margins than many of its main competitors in Brazil, due to its low cost structure, efficient processing facilities, and high quality products. JBS has also vertically integrated its operations, operating a fleet of about 500 modern livestock and refrigerated meat delivery trucks, and its own container shipping terminal near Sao Paulo, providing efficient distribution.

In terms of export markets, the company sells 24pc of all fresh and frozen Brazilian beef going into the UK market.

Brazil, overall, controls 70pc of all imported beef into the UK.

While major US meat companies Tyson Foods and Cargill both rank higher than JBS Friboi in terms of annual value of beef produced, JBS/Swift now controls the world’s largest killing capacity, of 45,715 head per day in 35 plants worldwide.

Because of its somewhat coincidental acquisition of Swift assets in Brazil, Argentina, the US and Australia over recent years, the company plans to build on the Swift brand name around the world.

SOURCE: Queensland Country Life, June 7.

nqr.farmonline.com.au

To be honest, the only thing I don't like about it is, there is time when those companies bring their own employees with them, therefore taking jobs from citizens living in our country.

Bek":vjplw8ad said:
To be honest, the only thing I don't like about it is, there is time when those companies bring their own employees with them, therefore taking jobs from citizens living in our country.

It will be interesting to see if they go into the cattle/feeding business in Australia as heavily as it looks they plan to in Brazil-- one more step in the multinationals big game plan to own them from Pasture to Plate- with the cattleman just being one of their serf's...

--------------------------------------------

New Swift Owner to Raise Beef Cattle

By Pork news staff

(Wednesday, June 13, 2007)

The Brazilian meatpacking conglomerate â€" JBS â€" that recently purchased Swift & Co., is going to enter the beef production business. The company plans to build a $15.2-million beef production farm near San Paulo, Brazil.

JBS's $1.4 billion acquisition of Swift made it the world's largest meatpacker.

In the San Paulo system, the company intends to raise about 150,000 cattle to supply some of JBS' packing plants. This is a new and significant step for the company, which has previously only run slaughter and processing plants.

Honestly, the only one I've dealt with is Cargills, as they are pretty much it where I live. And at the moment I've only got good things to say about them. They are great at giving us uni students really flexible jobs and they rotate your jobs so you get a really good all-round view of the meat industry. They support you if you want to get into management etc. They give our meat judging team a heap of sponsorship.

I'm thinking in the future I will probably change my mind a bit and the issues you have brought up will weigh more heavily on me, but at the moment they are not affecting me too much.

And as an update on what I've been doing . . .

Spent yesterday dehorning calves :( Not pleasant. I hate doing it.

Got the first kids of the year, a set of twins (boy and girl) and a single buck. And another doe looks set to drop any day now. I'd almost forgotten how cute kids are - pity they don't stay kids.

Other than that I have been buried in exam revision - almost as fun as the dehorning :roll: Can't wait for exams to be over (next two weeks), then I'm off to Armidale for meat judging and if I do alright there I may get a six week trip to America! Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Just wondering, has anyone used the Bainbridge tattoo pliers? I have used Stone and Ketchum, but not Bainbridge, and the other day I was given a brand new set of the sheep pliers, to use on my stud goats :shock: There was no way I was saying no, seeing as they are $420 at our local co-op. But I have yet to find anyone who has used them, to tell me what they're like.

I've only ever used Stone tatoo pliers.

Finally get a break this weekend. Have had shows every weekend bar one for the past 8 weeks.

Found a place, up near Murgon. 52 acres, so any animals that I do get, won't be to substantial. I've got 3 show steers so far that I'm fitting for next year's season, plus one of my own steers.

Hope you do well up at Armidale!

Darn cold here tonight.Had a few snow flurries during the day and some sleet. Could be in for a snow fall tonight. Cattle are all hiding behind the buildings and down over the hills away from the bitter winds.Nearly a fortnight ago we had snow fall for about 15 minutes and more sleet. Its 2 c at the minute. I have to go to work in about an hour,finish at 7.15 tomorrow morning.
Keep warm
Colin

Been cold here. It went straight from Summer to Winter. A month ago it was to hot to do anything, now it's to bloody cold.

The poor dexters are being clipped next week so they're ready for Ekka, poor things, it's gunna be freezing.

Well, we have had our first really cold morning! Minus 2 (you make me feel ashamed, Colin!) this morning, now its gotten warm a whole 6 degrees!

I just had a really painful exam . . . first of all I almost missed it - I thought I'd got there too late, but got in. Then I was missing one of the pages from my exam, and to top it off I got stuck with the squeeky and wobbly desk! The actual exam wasnt too difficult though.

Will be going out to break in the greys for melbourne tomorrow, and make final selections. We have 11 posibilities but will probably only take 5 or 6. So I might finally get some phots for you guys!

Enjoy your granddaughter, Colin!

Well, today I finally did what I'd been meaning to do for the last month or so, which is to go through the cattle for melbourne (I had no choice - entries have to go in next week!).

Took me the good part of today, and whittled 14 down to between 6 and a half and 8 and a half. I'm uploading photos at the moment, so have a look at the show board for the new show string. Unfortunately I'm doing this at home (dial up) so its taking so loooooooooooooong. But the cattle look promising this year.

One of the big showmen in our area is packing up and leaving to go to tenterfield. He's selling his property, all his cattle and all his equipment (he's a custom fitter and bullfeeder so there's a lot of stuff) and he's going to work with his brother a builder. He's done with cattle for good. Tell you what though, our region is really going to notice that he's gone. He usually brings two truck loads of cattle to all the local shows - fills up half the shed. He runs one of the shows by himself. He has a lot to do with the local schools, basically running one of the school's show team and giving lessons and demonstrations at the other. A lot of the old breeders around here send their cattle to him, because they want to continue showing but are getting a bit old to do the hard work themselves. And he is generally considered 'the man to send animals to that you no-one else can break in'. Yeah, he's definitely going to be missed.

Hope you had fun seeing your Granddaughter Colin!

Keren, we had a guy do that a couple of years ago, at the minimum he'd bring a truckload in. Although he isn't completely gone, he does fitting VERY occasionally and he's an auctioneer now, but still it's weird not seeing him out in the middle of the ring, week in, week out.

I thought I was going to get a break this weekend, but yesterday I had to do assessment for my traineeship. Fencing & Waters. It was raining, and I almost fell in a tank :lol:

Whats his name so that I can make myself known to him? Its a shame to see people go out of the industry. There is lots of new homes being built in our town and the district. We have about 5 new ones going up on our road which is about 40 ks long. Most of them are within 5 ks of our place. The good thing that most of them aren't on land that has been subdivided. They are on larger blocks of country.I hate to see land get cut up into unproductive blocks.We had a drop of rain yesterday and overnight 7mls then it cleared through the night then it frosted on top of it. We've had down to minus 5 so far but most mornings its minus 2/3.We usually have beautiful days here in winter unlike other parts of the New England as we tend to have a little more coastal influence because this part of the tablelands is a little narrower,unlike Glen Innes and Armidale which is further away from the edge of the mountain. The nice part about living here apart from the distinct seasons. We have some of the most spectacular cloud formations when they shoot up the side of the mountains and when there are storms down along the coast the lightning is magnificent. Enough raving on I'd better get going to see the grand daughter. My son is coming to tend to the animals whilst I'm away overnight.
Colin

He is Michael O'Sullivan - he has three kids a teenage son about 15/16 I think, a daughter a couple years younger and another son about 5 or 6. He certainly does things his own way and many people have had their toes stepped on or stepped on his, but there is no denying the absolute impact he has had on the show circuit and the young people in our area. I believe he has bought a house with 40 acres, and he has said that his future does not involve the beef industry. And sorry colin, although I wrote tenterfield I meant tamworth. These exams have turned my brain to mush.

Another busy 3 or 4 days for me soon.

We've got the Queensland Dexter Breed Show next weekend. The show goes for 2 days - Saturday and Sunday. We've got 1 class Saturday(My bull) and 5 or 6 on the Sunday with the females.

After Ekka no more Dexters! Thank God, I'm sick of the little mongrels, I don't mind fitting them, but I've had bigger and better offers, which to be honest, are actually going to get me somewhere, Dexters are basically laughed out of the ring here, however I committed to the dexters for this year so I followed that. But on to better things next year, hopefully.

Anyway, enough rambling.

It's cold and wet up here, not like the winters we've had the past few years.

Latest posts