Black Hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

Why not cross black Hereford with Brahman that would create f1 females without pumpkin teats and f1 steers that would qualify for cab and not get murdered on sale prices. Something for everybody South of the Mason Dixon line there :dunce: :hide:

dun":2zud3u15 said:
cbcr":2zud3u15 said:
The one requirement for CAB is the 51% black hide, but Red Angus are also supposed to be included to be accepted as CAB. But then again, people with registered Hereford animals have received a check for their animals that were accepted for CAB.

This is one reason that some of the processors that are marketing Certified Angus are doing their own programs to verify that the meat is from Angus influenced animals.
Red Angus have their own marketing program. I've never seen where they have been accepted for CAB

Red Angus had to create their own program, because they were not getting their fair part of the CAB program. There are some other breeds that have their own program as well, one of the being Hereford.

RanchMan90":2r44effy said:
Why not cross black Hereford with Brahman that would create f1 females without pumpkin teats and f1 steers that would qualify for cab and not get murdered on sale prices. Something for everybody South of the Mason Dixon line there :dunce: :hide:
The brahmna spine would prevent it from making CAB.
As someone said, read the requirements

dun":fk18szia said:
RanchMan90":fk18szia said:
Are you speaking of a hump?

RanchMan90":3g98e4ec said:
dun":3g98e4ec said:
RanchMan90":3g98e4ec said:
Are you speaking of a hump?
The spinal process where the hump is or would be

I hear ya. An f1 wouldn't have a hump, but I haven't a dog in this fight :hide: Just thought we could all just get along that way :lol2:

One of the requirements for CAB is that the animal cannot have a Brahman hump or being high Brahman percentage. Another requirement is that the animal cannot be a dairy.

RanchMan90":1hwic5mu said:
How many black breeds of cattle were there in 1978? Angus and brangus were the basis of cab. Google it
That was the only thing you saw black in this part of the world was Brangus then.
Hereford bull was king then saw lot of Beefmaster and Char was starting to get popular.
In the sixties Gert along with Hereford was very popular here, the Gerts started fading away in the 70's.
SIMM and Limm got popular in the 80's the original color faded pretty fast
Today I would say looking in the pasture and at the salebarn would be Brangus,Char and Angus in that order for bulls.
Be hard to tell if Brangus or Braford cow is one or number two.

RanchMan90":3ldrtib4 said:
How many black breeds of cattle were there in 1978? Angus and brangus were the basis of cab. Google it

Black Angus were building numbers in Kentucky beginning in the 70s. Hereford began their decline as producers went toward Angus. The only Hereford bull or cow, I see now is when I pass the Boyd Farm. Charolais are hanging by a toe hold but for the most part, Kentucky is Black!

There was a guy South of here that tried to bring in some Brahman cattle. Some producers got together, put sheets over their head and burnt his barn and shot his dog.

Bright Raven":3e067skz said:
RanchMan90":3e067skz said:
There was a guy South of here that tried to bring in some Brahman cattle. Some producers got together, put sheets over their head and burnt his barn and shot his dog.

Are these people wearing sheets the same ones that don't know the difference between grass and hay?

Rafter S":15kj75ux said:
Bright Raven":15kj75ux said:
RanchMan90":15kj75ux said:

Are these people wearing sheets the same ones that don't know the difference between grass and hay?

They know grass and they know hay. And they know Brahman cattle are tough as shoe leather.

DLD":23a52hpx said:
Do you have a market that will pay you a premium for calves specifically with Black Hereford genetics? If so, then it's probably worthwhile to give it a try as long as it doesn't cost more than it pays. If not, then go get yourself a good Hereford or Simmi/Angus bull. You'll be glad you did.

Sad to say, but the Black Hereford Association, in it's current state, is little more than a pyramid scheme - you may not have to pay part of your income back up the line, but it's similar in that you have to buy your stock from the small group already there, and then you have to find a new group to market to. If they allowed you an opportunity to breed up from registered Hereford and registered Angus genetics of your own choosing, it might have a chance to go somewhere, but as long as they will only register cattle that both parents come from their very small established genetic base, I just don't see a lot of future there. If you just want black baldies, you can raise better ones cheaper without the Black Hereford Association. Just my opinion, but it comes from a little research and from watching a couple of friends and neighbors trying them - neither of them stayed with them very long.
Both Black Hereford associations now allow breeding up the way I understand it. The original association is not under the sole control of the family now from what I'm told. I know of several registered Black Herefords that have been bred up and new blood added. I've seen some that have really been improved. There is a herd in Utah that seems to be working on improving them. Know Iron Lake Herefords have been working on it from what I've been told.

WalnutCrest":2i49qugi said:
There are two BH associations?

Yes, there is the American Black Hereford Association, which was the original association founded by the late John Gage. They were originally in the Kansas City area, but now they are in Shelbyville, TN
http://www.blackhereford.org/

The other is the World Black Hereford Association was started in 2014 and they are based in Virginia.
http://worldofblackherefords.com/

According to sellers on Clist, the F1 hereford/angus cross bulls they're selling can be "registered" as black herefords. Seems to me that cheapens the meaning of registered cattle.

M.Magis":17mlbnpg said:
According to sellers on Clist, the F1 hereford/angus cross bulls they're selling can be "registered" as black herefords. Seems to me that cheapens the meaning of registered cattle.
I thought they're just Blackford cattle?
http://www.blackfordcattle.com/

Also in British Isles, the Black Herefords are usually a cross of a Hereford and a Holstein.

M.Magis":1uw0t2sj said:

I got eight right now look to be dandies. Very select sale if take the group papered roll of Charmin with each one.

Baldie this and baldie that. I just went to the auction in Hallettsville Texas today. So many darn baldies and so much variance in the price. Its not just the baldie, its the quality of angus/brangus/whatever and hereford that made it. One baldie right after another, very similar in weight and look, priced .20-.40 cents different a pound. Just something I was noticing. All the hereford bulls and steers at the auction brought .15-.25 cents less per pound then the black. Only a handful of the baldies did better. It seems like every market is different. I would sit at an auction in your area and see whats selling the highest before you invest in a cross and pay for it later.

BK9954":1xkszzr9 said:
Baldie this and baldie that. I just went to the auction in Hallettsville Texas today. So many darn baldies and so much variance in the price. Its not just the baldie, its the quality of angus/brangus/whatever and hereford that made it. One baldie right after another, very similar in weight and look, priced .20-.40 cents different a pound. Just something I was noticing. All the hereford bulls and steers at the auction brought .15-.25 cents less per pound then the black. Only a handful of the baldies did better. It seems like every market is different. I would sit at an auction in your area and see whats selling the highest before you invest in a cross and pay for it later.

After hunting in your area for the last five years I am not surprised at the spread. See a lot more poor phenotype cattle in the pastures over that way.
Versus the Crockett area seems to have some best.

Latest posts