Black Hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":ewk99bhn said:
Bright Raven":ewk99bhn said:
True Grit Farms":ewk99bhn said:
JO BULLS has some nice animals and has a great start in the black Hereford business. He just needs to sell his product, which he claims to be black Herefords. So first of all they should all be BLACK, and they should look like a HEREFORD. To me those are two very important things. And then the next step should be, any animal that's not homo black should be culled, and any animal with the horn gene should be culled. By him selling culls it's hurting the black Hereford breed in general. This is some of the reasons black Herefords are still a novelty breed.
I can see selling a black baldie looking bull as a black Hereford if he was a real looker like. "A923" But selling a black baldie with scurs as a black Hereford isn't helping the breed at all. This is nothing new to how I feel about a breeders responsibility to the breed they represent. I haven't beat the Black Hereford as a breed and won't. Lots of different breeds used Angus to get to where they are now. To get to the front a breeder needs a sharp eye and sharp knife.
I did notice alot of Knoll Crest Farms Hereford blood in his operation. And as a side note the Bennetts have a top notch Angus operation along with their Hereford operation.

Grit, why should they all be Black Hereford? You just mentioned the Bennetts run both Angus and Herefords. What is your issue with Jobull running both Black and Traditional Herefords?

Jeez I have no issues with JO BULLS at all, it's his business to run as he sees fit and I wish him all the best. Raven a traditional Hereford is not a crossbred. Just because a animal looks like a Hereford doesn't mean it's a Hereford. I feel that the breeders have a responsibility to the breed to sell only the best for seed stock.
Heres an example you can relate to, look at the Simmental cow, people sell Simmental cattle with bad udders as seed stock. And Simmental cattle are known to have inferior udders, so HOW are they ever going to fix the udder issue with that business model?
I'm trying to help the cattle industry not just myself.

I see your point on the udders. The photos of his operation gave me the impression that he has both Black Herefords and the traditional red Herefords. I thought you were saying he should only have the blacks.

Well my reading comprehension isn't nearly as good as yours, but I saw everything about black Herefords and nothing else on the first page of his website. AI sires are not part of your herd, your using someone else's herd. IMO

True Grit Farms":y5fftjfj said:
Muddy":y5fftjfj said:
I would love for Black Hereford Association to test all animals for homozygous white face gene and eliminate all red carriers. The biggest turnoff is the solid calves out of Black Herefords.

So a black Hereford with a mottle face is alright? I've never seen a mottle faced Hereford before. I still say a black Hereford should look like a black Hereford.
Where did I said that? All I said that they should test their animals for homozygous white face gene. That should eliminated a lot of mottled faced cattle.

Muddy":3hhq97z8 said:
True Grit Farms":3hhq97z8 said:
Muddy":3hhq97z8 said:
I would love for Black Hereford Association to test all animals for homozygous white face gene and eliminate all red carriers. The biggest turnoff is the solid calves out of Black Herefords.

So a black Hereford with a mottle face is alright? I've never seen a mottle faced Hereford before. I still say a black Hereford should look like a black Hereford.
Where did I said that? All I said that they should test their animals for homozygous white face gene. That should eliminated a lot of mottled faced cattle.

Wouldn't a mottle faced animal have the white face gene?

Some of our buyers like a very traditional Hereford look. Some of our buyers like a lot of pigment on the face. Pigment is a big deal out here in the west and we are trying to breed that on the cattle. Because of this we do get some mottle face calves. They still sell and sometimes faster than the ones with feathered necks.

My family has been selling Line 1 Herefords for over 40 years. I decided 10 years ago to take them black and polled. We still get a few horns from our foundation genetics, but some of our buyers like the horns. There are less and less each year. I think we had 5 bulls with horns out of the crop.

We are working towards the homozygous black, but I refuse to just select for color. You will notice that we are using red bulls still A.I. This creates heterozygous black calves, but we are breeding for quality. The color will come.

Thanks again for looking at our site.

Jobulls,

Thanks for coming back to respond. You are a gentleman. I lived in the Rocky Mountain West (Montana, Wyoming and Colorado) for 30 years. People out there are great.

In regard to your explanation, the owner/operator has to know and serve his market.

Good luck to you and yours. Been to Utah several times. Beautiful country.

Latest posts