Why have Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

shadyhollownj":2tjawjk0 said:
The higher birth weights and mature bull weights may have something to do with them falling out of favor. The smaller sized Angus cows that produce 50 pound calves don't work with the 2500 pound Hereford bulls that throw 95-100lb calves

All of the guys around me lose anywhere from 20-50% of there calf crop cause of frame or high BW with their angus herd. Its kinda makes you scratch your head why they keep them. Cant sell them a hereford bull for the life of me even though Ive only lost two calves in 6 years.
:bs: :bs:

Jake":16duxdks said:
shadyhollownj":16duxdks said:
The higher birth weights and mature bull weights may have something to do with them falling out of favor. The smaller sized Angus cows that produce 50 pound calves don't work with the 2500 pound Hereford bulls that throw 95-100lb calves

All of the guys around me lose anywhere from 20-50% of there calf crop cause of frame or high BW with their angus herd. Its kinda makes you scratch your head why they keep them. Cant sell them a hereford bull for the life of me even though Ive only lost two calves in 6 years.

Beat me to it Jake.

Jake":120cssuz said:
shadyhollownj":120cssuz said:

I'll throw in that one also, :bs: :bs: :bs:

If it is close to true they don't know shyt about buying a Hereford bull. Try buying one besides on Craigslist.

shadyhollownj":3e1hcd3j said:

What are they breeding them 100 bw bulls to lowlines or cows with the hips the size of a goat?

I will also add, I'm a hobby guy, run around 15 cows and a clean up bull so when I have calves on the ground I have round 30 or so head...... Polled Herefords. Been doing it for 13 years, I have had two cases of pink eye and I have never heard of anyone of my Hereford friends and contacts ever having a case of cancer eye ....... Knock on wood no prolapses either. I've cycled maybe 200 Herefords through, maybe more, in my 13 years ...... We bought our place in may of 2000 so I maybe going on14 years.

Herfs have their problems like any breed does but this is not your grandpa's or daddy's Herfs.

Alan

Call it whatever you want. I personally pulled 6 dead calves from my neighbors small herd and he only had 11 calves last year. Two dairies went to beef operations and literally I didnt believe it until I poured a floor for them and seen two other family members that told me the same thing that they nearly lost half the calves and pulled most. They said they picked the best looking angus bull twice. Guess they didnt learn the largest calf without seeing and epds isnt the way to go.

Beat me to it :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

God that made me feel better about myself. Like its not possible what I said. I couldnt ever find an angus bull with a huge frame and bad calving ease. What the hell was I thinking.

jedstivers":am90naps said:
All I can say is your neighbors must be really bad at picking cows and bulls. That's one thing angus has going for it is birth weight and calving ease if you even half try.

Bull no matter the breed is just half the equation.
I have never heard of anything as bad this guy's with an Angus.
I have seen the anomaly through the years sounds to me there is more than Angus in the woodpile where he is getting his bull.

I would say its a poor breeding management instead of blaming on an entire breed. But my old FFA advisor used to raising registered polled Herefords and I can remembered that his bull often throws huge 100-120lbs calves that do not grow up that fast. He ended up switch his bull to a black angus bull. That black bull did improved the wean weights in the calves and the kids got to show the black baldies in 4-H & FFA clubs as market steers and commercial heifers.

Need to be a leader not a follower. Like Alan said MOST of todays herfs aren't your granddads kind. Mine and my buddys shorthorns will be ready to eat slaughter faster than most all the so called great angus herds around here. So just research and dive in.

cross_7":38aoqji3 said:
Fallen out of favor
I don't want to start a breed war or anybody bashing one another
Around here they take a beating at the sale
But I like them, look at this bull
Why do they discount then at the sale ?

Promotion, promotion, promotion.

Latest posts