Why have Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

Looked at some cows and bulls I may be buying today. Mostly angus and a few Herefords. Never got out of the truck but all the Herefords were way calmer than most of the angus. Same with the bulls. Only thing I don't like about the Herefords is they're horned.

Why have Herefords?
Indeed, WHY??? - when you could breed your cows to this fine specimen from Gardiners and Select Sires:

http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.php?option=com_php&Itemid=114&id=279&breed=Angus

Be sure and look at the video! Surely there is not many cattlemen so blinded by blue boxes that they'd infuse this POS into their herd. If this the Angus of the future, I'd say that Herefords are going to do fine!

George

Herefords.US":3y3vxc3z said:
Why have Herefords?
Indeed, WHY??? - when you could breed your cows to this fine specimen from Gardiners and Select Sires:

http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.php?option=com_php&Itemid=114&id=279&breed=Angus

Be sure and look at the video! Surely there is not many cattlemen so blinded by blue boxes that they'd infuse this POS into their herd. If this the Angus of the future, I'd say that Herefords are going to do fine!

George

That bull will see so little use in the breed its a joke to talk about him. Lets pull something realistic. I can pull junk Hereford bull pictures up too.

Jake, that's my point. There are good and bad in all breeds. We have got plenty of folks in the Hereford breed who'd like to take the breed in the same direction that begat this Black Angus POS forsaking everything for a bunch of blue boxes. Moderation and balance has been discarded in the race to produce the extreme.

George

Herefords.US":2ak26udt said:
Jake, that's my point. There are good and bad in all breeds. We have got plenty of folks in the Hereford breed who'd like to take the breed in the same direction that begat this Black Angus POS forsaking everything for a bunch of blue boxes. Moderation and balance has been discarded in the race to produce the extreme.

George
Like Black Hereford folks? :hide:

Taurus":9bcube8j said:
Herefords.US":9bcube8j said:

George
Like Black Hereford folks? :hide:

Taurus, the Black Hereford folks have their own set of issues that were brought about by a narrow gene pool and some few folks wanting to maintain too tight of control on the breeding up process. I think that is changing and it is probable that Black Herefords will eventually be more on par with the mainstream Hereford breed. My question now is, when they get there, is the CAB premium still going to significant enough for it to matter?

George

Herefords.US":3stgt36r said:

George
"Moderation and balance has been discarded in he race to produce the extreme". :clap:

I was shopping for a Hereford bull and 2 problems I found is the good ones are twice as expensive as good Char or Beefmaster bulls and the 2nd problem is there is a lot of trashy Hereford bulls small frame animals that should be sent to the packing plant around me. I don't see the calves being docked seen red Hereford cross calves selling for just as much as black calves today at the sale also seen a Hereford pair go for more than a Brangus pair today to me it seems like the buyers don't care as long as they are good quality and sound animals what color or breed they are only ones they pay extra for are the yellow ones

wacocowboy":2dxla08z said:
I was shopping for a Hereford bull and 2 problems I found is the good ones are twice as expensive as good Char or Beefmaster bulls and the 2nd problem is there is a lot of trashy Hereford bulls small frame animals that should be sent to the packing plant around me. I don't see the calves being docked seen red Hereford cross calves selling for just as much as black calves today at the sale also seen a Hereford pair go for more than a Brangus pair today to me it seems like the buyers don't care as long as they are good quality and sound animals what color or breed they are only ones they pay extra for are the yellow ones

"only ones they pay extra for are the yellow ones"

ROFLMAO!!! No offense to you Wacocowboy, it doesn't surprise me that someone would pay a premium for light colored animals, its just that a lot of guys have been preaching we should breed Herefords dark for quite a while. If anyone actually tried to produce what the market paid premiums for on any given day, they would have to change direction constantly. Breeding sound, functional beef cattle that are prolific in a practical environment is really all any of us can do over the long term.

Herefords.US":1rcf2r7r said:

George

the seed stock marketing system is run by what's new, what's hot, what's the most outlying numbers you can get. $Beef is going to ruin a good chunk of the breeds reputation. AI studs don't really sort beef bulls anymore in the Angus breed at least, they rely heavily on their preferred suppliers to carry the load on advertising the bulls they purchase from them, they have zero interest in promoting new young bulls from unknown programs, if one happens to prove out before it's dead and gone they may lease at that point. If you want moderation and balance you best be looking within your own herd and genetics.

alexfarms":2uv78501 said:
wacocowboy":2uv78501 said:

"only ones they pay extra for are the yellow ones"

ROFLMAO!!! No offense to you Wacocowboy, it doesn't surprise me that someone would pay a premium for light colored animals, its just that a lot of guys have been preaching we should breed Herefords dark for quite a while. If anyone actually tried to produce what the market paid premiums for on any given day, they would have to change direction constantly. Breeding sound, functional beef cattle that are prolific in a practical environment is really all any of us can do over the long term.

Remember the old yellow Herefords used to be quite common not these that are so dark red they are almost look purple.
A big Angus bull then weighed in at a whopping 900 or 1000 pounds as well.

The main reason here is simple. HETEROSIS! Its still the best thing in the cattle business. As far as I am concerned, If you have angus cows and arent using a good Hereford bull on them, you are wasting good grass.

The benefits not only include added pay weight, but you get better disposition, more fertility and more longevity in the females and to top it off the steers fit more branded beef programs than any other animal. Greater Omaha has been paying $25 per head premium on all white face qualifiers for the past 2 years.

Caustic Burno":1cl8wfd2 said:
[

Remember the old yellow Herefords used to be quite common not these that are so dark red they are almost look purple.
A big Angus bull then weighed in at a whopping 900 or 1000 pounds as well.

I've heard old timers say the more yellow she is the better she will milk. Not saying its right but I know of several old guys who believed it.

Herefords.US":1u1gqyzm said:
George

:clap: :clap: :tiphat:
An old Japanese swordsman named Miyamoto Musashi wrote a pretty good book called the Book of Five Rings. He gives some good advice about sword fighting that applies to animal husbandry pretty well. He said it is easier to move to the left or the right if you start in the middle. If you start all the way to the right and need to make a hard left you might as well start over.

Red Bull Breeder":yhfep3u2 said:
smnherf you just made the best ad for angus I have heard in a while. The standard black baldie would be my last choice in a cow.

I don't think the AAA is going to ask
me design their next ad campaign :)

Unlike some breeders, I don't view the angus breed as competition, but I think the Angus cow is the Hereford breeders best friend. Nothing crosses as well with her as a good Hereford, but somehow I don't think that I will see the AAA advertising to put a Hereford bull on the Angus cows. But if they want too I wouldn't be against it though. :)

Red Bull Breeder":181l85tz said:
smnherf you just made the best ad for angus I have heard in a while. The standard black baldie would be my last choice in a cow.

I haven't read the whole post, but have most of it. RBB, why would a Black Baldie cow be your last choice of cow? They are in some demand here and I have never heard a negative word about them in the commercial herd. Good mamma's that milk well.

robert":1oglgawz said:
Herefords.US":1oglgawz said:

George

the seed stock marketing system is run by what's new, what's hot, what's the most outlying numbers you can get. $Beef is going to ruin a good chunk of the breeds reputation. AI studs don't really sort beef bulls anymore in the Angus breed at least, they rely heavily on their preferred suppliers to carry the load on advertising the bulls they purchase from them, they have zero interest in promoting new young bulls from unknown programs, if one happens to prove out before it's dead and gone they may lease at that point. If you want moderation and balance you best be looking within your own herd and genetics.

To all, I apologize for hi-jacking this thread. I came to CT to post about this Angus bull that Select Sires is promoting and I found this thread about Herefords that I thought had about ran its course and, rather than start a new thread about the bull as I intended, posted the info here. I will now start a separate thread - as I should have.

George

This actually sounds more like an overfeeding issue more than a genetic issue. If they were used to feeding dairy cattle they could have easily overfed the beef cattle.

That was my first question I asked them were they feeding silage. The answer was no just mixed hay and creep for calves. Just happen to be terrible calving ease bulls apparently.

Latest posts