Can Angus have horns?

Help Support CattleToday:

Doo dee doo dee doo....
Just waiting for happy happy pictures!

I'm a go whistle over there in the corner for a while I guess.

Boy, you're as impatient as I am! But good timing, because SHE'S ON THE TRAILER NOW! Yippeee! I just heard from my friend down in Arkansas, and she said Molly had earned her "redhead" badge and then some! She managed to break through a weak spot in the fence when they were trying to drive her to the chute/alley and ended up in the back forty, but being a true chowhound, she came right back when they shook the pellet can. Apparently there were a few more dramatic scenes in the alleyway, but eventually the hauler (she's young and spry) got behind her and yelled and smacked her in the butt and she hopped up inside. YAY!

Once here, the trailer can back right up to the cow barn. We'll have to unload her into the hay room, but I suppose if we're behind her, whooping and hollering, she'll run between the stacks and through into "her" half of the barn, which is all prepared with fresh stall bedding, a cleaned and filled trough, and fresh hay in the feeder. Because it will be dark, or mostly dark, when she gets here, she'll have to spend the first night inside, but I'll let her out into the attached pen the next morning and see how she is. If she's settled down enough, I'll go ahead and open the gate to the pasture so she can have the run of the place and do all her exploring. And meet the gelding, of course. I hope she likes him.

If she's NOT settled down the next morning, then I'll keep her in the barn/pen area for a day or two more. She'll still be able to see everything from the pen, but I sure don't want her running full-tilt into a downed tree or one of those awful, thorny plum trees. And when I get pics, I'll post them. :)
It would be more plausible for the Pope to become a Mason than for a true Angus to have horns.<That is a period

A true homozygous polled Angus, you mean. That's why I started this thread, because I thought ALL Angus were polled, but I have learned otherwise.

Boy, you're as impatient as I am! But good timing, because SHE'S ON THE TRAILER NOW! Yippeee! I just heard from my friend down in Arkansas, and she said Molly had earned her "redhead" badge and then some! She managed to break through a weak spot in the fence when they were trying to drive her to the chute/alley and ended up in the back forty, but being a true chowhound, she came right back when they shook the pellet can. Apparently there were a few more dramatic scenes in the alleyway, but eventually the hauler (she's young and spry) got behind her and yelled and smacked her in the butt and she hopped up inside. YAY!

Once here, the trailer can back right up to the cow barn. We'll have to unload her into the hay room, but I suppose if we're behind her, whooping and hollering, she'll run between the stacks and through into "her" half of the barn, which is all prepared with fresh stall bedding, a cleaned and filled trough, and fresh hay in the feeder. Because it will be dark, or mostly dark, when she gets here, she'll have to spend the first night inside, but I'll let her out into the attached pen the next morning and see how she is. If she's settled down enough, I'll go ahead and open the gate to the pasture so she can have the run of the place and do all her exploring. And meet the gelding, of course. I hope she likes him.

If she's NOT settled down the next morning, then I'll keep her in the barn/pen area for a day or two more. She'll still be able to see everything from the pen, but I sure don't want her running full-tilt into a downed tree or one of those awful, thorny plum trees. And when I get pics, I'll post them. :)

A true homozygous polled Angus, you mean. That's why I started this thread, because I thought ALL Angus were polled, but I have learned otherwise.
All purebred Angus are polled. Even a crossbred that is heterazygous for polled will be, but there is a 25% chance their calves could have horns, if bred to another heterazygous for polled cow or bull.

There is a huge difference between a between a purebred angus and a registered angus. All purebred angus aren't registered and all registered angus aren't purebred.

The AAA stud book has been closed for years. There are NO animals registered with an unknown or another breed on its papers.
It sounds good . But isn't reality. All kinds of weird things popped up out of "registered " angus cattle after the frame race.registered Angus suddenly got huge overnight and started producing odd offspring such as white spots , horned calves and all kinds of other non angus traits. All kinds of non angus breeds where added in to the registry including Holstein .
Even today the angus registry will register animals without requiring genetic testing verification of both parents. Unless and until that happens
Registry errors will continue to occur. Some by accident some intentional.

It sounds good . But isn't reality. All kinds of weird things popped up out of "registered " angus cattle after the frame race.registered Angus suddenly got huge overnight and started producing odd offspring such as white spots , horned calves and all kinds of other non angus traits. All kinds of non angus breeds where added in to the registry including Holstein .
Even today the angus registry will register animals without requiring genetic testing verification of both parents. Unless and until that happens
Registry errors will continue to occur. Some by accident some intentional.
Show me an AAA registration paper with a Holstein or any other breed of cattle on it.

Show me an AAA registration paper with a cow or bull on it registered with a different breed, or with "unknown". on them
The registry is only as good as the information submitted by the breeder. If the breeder chooses not to own up to
an infusion of holstien, then little horns and funny little spots show up when certain angus bulls are used.

Show me an AAA registration paper with a cow or bull on it registered with a different breed, or with "unknown". on them

The registry is only as good as the information submitted by the breeder. If the breeder chooses not to own up to
an infusion of holstien, then little horns and funny little spots show up when certain angus bulls are used.

. . . or Chianina, back in the '80's.

And yet they still refuse to require dna verification of both parents

All purebred Angus are polled. Even a crossbred that is heterazygous for polled will be, but there is a 25% chance their calves could have horns, if bred to another heterazygous for polled cow or bull.
Until your commercial cow carries a scur or African horn gene and has a bull calf...

Didn't Idaman talk about Titan's genetics in his long thread?

Lannie, some black shoe polish will take care of that red colored calf...
Speaking of Idaman, his thread has the most of any at Cattle Today, over 250K hits and still growing!

Some readers may not know that we published a book compiled from his blog posts. You can order it at Amazon. The proceeds go to his widow. Mountain Ranch at the End of the Road

The book has lots of pictures not included in the thread.

One more thing about Idaman. In 2024, Elk Lake Publishing will release a 20th-century cowboy suspense adventure, Someplace North, Someplace Wild, which takes place at Idaman's ranch in British Columbia. Go here and subscribe to be kept informed about the book's progress.

Last edited:
All Dapne's (age 13) calves have been half Angus, all were black or blackish and all were polled. Two were heifers I raised to be family milk cows, but they got the Scottish disposition, sort of an FU attitude. They were halterbroke, it took all summer and many rope burns. Didn't see them for a couple of months and then it was like they never had a hand laid on them. This one lives on the ranch across the road, the other went to the sale barn.L.O.V..JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts