Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
Fallen out of favor
I don't want to start a breed war or anybody bashing one another
Around here they take a beating at the sale
But I like them, look at this bull
Why do they discount then at the sale ?

I have wondered the same thing a thousand times. A redneck calf will sell as well as a bwf here. I was never able to figure that out either.

It is super hard, to find or much less afford, a hereford bull that looks like that. Just not many good ones around. For less money, I can buy a good Charolais, Brahman, or Angus bull. That has been my experience locally.

I don't know why. There in my top 3 favorites. I am always using a couple horned Hereford bulls, and I buy all the good Hereford cows I can.

I figured they didn't gain well or grade well
I have seen Hereford calves that I thought were nice calves sell cheap
Then a black baldy calf come through thats not any better than the Hereford calf and ring the bell

That's why I love the Hereford cows, breed them to a brangus or Charolais and ring the bell with calves out of good cows I bought at a discount.

There are many reasons why feeders don't like them in the feedlot. But I am not here to bash my own breed.

Cross, think opposite - they gain too well.

Most people want to do whatever everyone else is doing. So they don't buy Herfs.
Some people want to have the big framy cattle. So they don't buy Herfs very often.
Some people are focused on problems from 50 years ago. So they don't buy Herfs.
Some people use whatever the AI tech has in the tank. So they don't buy Herf very often.
Some people like heavy milking cows. So they don't buy Herfs.

The only place I have seen a lot of Herfs is while goat hunting in western SD. Folks must not be very trendy out there on the National Grasslands.

Some people like to use the pinkeye thing, I know there were some issues, but it's not like that anymore. I've said this before, but if I was starting over every cow on the place would be a Hereford.

denvermartinfarms":1n24ruap said:
Some people like to use the pinkeye thing, I know there were some issues, but it's not like that anymore. I've said this before, but if I was starting over every cow on the place would be a Hereford.

When I was a kid in the Texas panhandle we would spend the whole summer doctoring pinkeye
I can't see that being a problem for a calf buyer
It's has to be a trickle down from the packer like Aaron alluded to

Oh come on!

They get pink eye all the time.

They get cancer eye all the time.

Lots of them have dangerous horns.

They do not cross well with anything.

The buyer thinks black is the only colour on the market.

Restaurants will not serve that beef because it is naturally tough.

There are no decent breeders in North America and certainly NONE on this board.

The animals get sick at the drop of a hat.

They cannot stand the heat of the south.

They cannot stand the cold of the north.

When you take the hide off of them even fat ones look skinny.

Aaron I think I am about out of all the things I have heard - but there MUST be more.

After all they are RED and WHITE!

And everyone knows - the only good cow is a black cow.

LOL

Cheers

Bez

cross_7":3seaffso said:
denvermartinfarms":3seaffso said:

When I was a kid in the Texas panhandle we would spend the whole summer doctoring pinkeye
I can't see that being a problem for a calf buyer
It's has to be a trickle down from the packer like Aaron alluded to
I agree, I was getting a little off topic and heading towards why Hereford cows can be bought cheaper.

snake67":2gehhqy6 said:
Oh come on!

Aaron I think I am about out of all the things I have heard - but there MUST be more.

LOL

Cheers

Bez
:clap: :clap:

I would have a bunch of em if they didn't cost so much. Around here the cows are sky high and the calves get docked if they are straight Herf. I would love to have some with a Brangus Bull on em.

Well you take a Herford bull and but on a Angus cow and get a calf that does good anywhere or a replacement heifer. You put the same bull on a Brahman Coe and get the best mama cow for anywhere its 100 'degrees, 95% humidity, and the bugs can take off small cars.
You can take range Herford cows and but them in some of the worst conditions to put a cow in like OK or SD or just anywhere bad and they will put live calves on the trailer.
Or you can really make them rough it like Jim's do and well you see what they turn out, the ideal Midwestern cattle.
So I guess it because somebody's great granddaddy had pinkeye trouble.

jedstivers":364naue0 said:
Well you take a Herford bull and but on a Angus cow and get a calf that does good anywhere or a replacement heifer. You put the same bull on a Brahman Coe and get the best mama cow for anywhere its 100 'degrees, 95% humidity, and the bugs can take off small cars.
You can take range Herford cows and but them in some of the worst conditions to put a cow in like OK or SD or just anywhere bad and they will put live calves on the trailer.
Or you can really make them rough it like Jim's do and well you see what they turn out, the ideal Midwestern cattle.
So I guess it because somebody's great granddaddy had pinkeye trouble.

You've seen my new place huh :D

snake67":24qcm7z9 said:
Oh come on!

LOL

Cheers

Bez

They get too fat on feed.

They don't yield on kill line.

They are too narrow.

They are too shallow.

They don't compete at the feed bunk.

They don't move well - the fastest moves they make is when they hit the kill floor.

They have terrible feet.

They have big, dead calves or dumb ones that die shortly after birth.

They don't grow.

They are the first to get sick and die after you buy them.

They can't wean a calf bigger than 350 lbs.

They have too much frame.

They have too little frame.

They have no muscle.

They have to be 3 years old before they are ready for slaughter and the carcass discounts will sink your entire operation.

They have big coke-bottle teats with absolutely no milk in them.

They aren't black, so the meat automatically tastes like cr@p.
The only thing they do well is die unexpectedly.

Once you get that whiteface in your herd, you'll never get rid of it.

They're the only breed left with idiots that breed for horns.

You need Angus to make baldies and Charolais to makes buckskins - what do you need Herefords for?

I know I am probably missing some too, Bez.

I,as,a Hereford breeder think that sometime in the mid 70s it became fashionable to dock hereford feeder cattle. At this time about 75-80% of the feeders were hereford influenced and what better way to increase profits then to buy your feeders a bit cheaper and it became a commen thing. The thing that has always bothered me is why did'nt that old hereford cow get just a little praise and glory for her role in all the cross breeding that went on these last 40--50 years. Like I said sometime ago a quote by a pretty damn good old cowman " where do you think that all these crossbreds would be if this country did'nt have a native cowherd that was a superior producer no matter where she ranged'"?? Said by Leo McDonald Jr at a angus bullsale many years ago.

I know a good Hereford will yield better than a good Angus dang near every time. I also know they will grade dang near as good as a good Angus. I also know the pinkeye and bad udders thing hasn't completely went away every where and especially this area. Maybe just spend more money telling the world how much better Herefords are. It seemed to work for the Angus association.

Latest posts