The Myth of Rural Culture

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":2k6wplkm said:
Driving home from work about 6 miles from home on main 2 Lane Hwy I say a car swerve ahead of me and they pulled off . when I got closer there was a guy standing in the middle of the road. I slowed down and was going to get on shoulder to pass him
He stepped in front of me I had no choice but to stop or run his azz over. I pulled my gun rolled the window down he stepped toward my door , I said "yea" he said "how are you" I said "OK" he said "good" and walked on past me. I know he could see my gun. Why would a guy stand and stare you down in middle of the road at 5pm and intentionally try to get you to stop. High on drugs or wanting to cause harm.
funny how that can humble a feller :lol:

Is being that bad really the norm other places, even in rural areas. It never even crosses my mind d to take a gun when I go somewhere, and I'm not trying to downplay anything or pretend that it's Mr Rogers Neighborhood where I live, but it's not a violent culture.

herofan":1wj4msbl said:
Is being that bad really the norm other places, even in rural areas. It never even crosses my mind d to take a gun when I go somewhere, and I'm not trying to downplay anything or pretend that it's Mr Rogers Neighborhood where I live, but it's not a violent culture.
Until it is !!

How would you look in the mirror if you and your wife were out and the unthinkable happed and all you had was nothing but grovelling and begging and pleading. It happens all the time and first thing the witness says is " nothing like this has ever happened here"

herofan":2nmepfkz said:

I never carry a gun where I live. Never! It is too dam inconvenient for the benefit it provides. I do have a handgun, loaded and available in my domicile. Defending your castle is fundamental. My county has it's fair share of drug users but most are harmless. It is a matter of personal preference.

greybeard":13iy264j said:
dieselbeef":13iy264j said:
has anyone seen the movie where all the kids in the united states have to take a test when they turn 15 or16 whatever and they all go on one day to the schools and get locked in. take the test and if you fail they come get you and then you disappear. its a futuristic culling of the not worthy. I wont spill the end but if ya can watch it its a b movie all day but the thought is pretty strange.....culling of society ..the weaning or something..cant remember it now
The Thinning.

'Only the smart survive'

yup that's the one....... :tiphat:

herofan":12hb3oox said:
Herofan I'm glad it's like that there. I'm just the opposite, It never crosses my mind not to carry one. I lock my truck when I leave it at the barn and get on the tractor. I have game camera's at the barn. Anything they can steal and trade for a pill is fair game.

kenny thomas":12tb7uwp said:
herofan":12tb7uwp said:
Herofan I'm glad it's like that there. I'm just the opposite, It never crosses my mind not to carry one. I lock my truck when I leave it at the barn and get on the tractor. I have game camera's at the barn. Anything they can steal and trade for a pill is fair game.

+1 the local pawn shop pays in fives, that is what a hit cost.

kenny thomas":npiw8x8i said:
herofan":npiw8x8i said:

I am sorry you have to live like that. In 37 years of living here the only times I have locked my house is when I am going to be gone over night. The keys are in the ignition on both tractors, the quad, lawnmower, in the car and pickup, and there are no locks on the tool shed/shop. I have never been robbed and neither have the 20-30 other homes within a couple miles of me. If I had to start locking everything up I would have already moved because I am not about to live like that.

I feel pretty safe where I am. Violence outside of the bigger towns in this area is hardly ever random. In the rural areas around here it's almost always dopers fighting with other dopers or (sadly) domestic violence. I hardly ever carry on my person, maybe once in awhile when I'm traveling. Everyone in this house knows how to use a gun, and can get hands on one quickly if need be.

We get spells of thefts in the area, but our particular neighborhood (there's only 2 other houses within 3/4 mile of us, but prob'ly 30 in a two mile radius, 20 of them clustered fairly close together) has never had much problem. We watch out for one another, and I think the thieves know it, and know it would be a bad place to get caught.

Dave":1a7yxl6m said:
kenny thomas":1a7yxl6m said:
herofan":1a7yxl6m said:

I am sorry you have to live like that. In 37 years of living here the only times I have locked my house is when I am going to be gone over night. The keys are in the ignition on both tractors, the quad, lawnmower, in the car and pickup, and there are no locks on the tool shed/shop. I have never been robbed and neither have the 20-30 other homes within a couple miles of me. If I had to start locking everything up I would have already moved because I am not about to live like that.

We've never locked our house up. So far we haven't had any problems here, but not being prepared just in case isn't the answer. Because if trouble shows up you might only have one chance to save yourself and or your family. No one knows what tomorrow brings, I see new things daily.

Dave":3vdud676 said:
kenny thomas":3vdud676 said:
herofan":3vdud676 said:

Better stay were your at cause apparently you are living in a fantasy land.

Dave":2ncuccyq said:
kenny thomas":2ncuccyq said:
herofan":2ncuccyq said:

Same here, and as I said before, I'm not trying to downplay or pretend it's a perfect world, but so far, it's just not a violent culture where I live, so it's something I do t think about.

Sure, if you talk to an officer here, they can tell you about all kinds of weird stuff that goes on that one doesn't know about, but that's another cultural aspect here; the weirdos act among themselves, and if you aren't part of that culture, you don't even know it's going on because they don't venture into your corner. So far, random violence isn't a thing here.

Caustic Burno":15ar36fy said:
Dave":15ar36fy said:
kenny thomas":15ar36fy said:

Better stay were your at cause apparently you are living in a fantasy land.

I remember a few years back in the late winter I was moaning about the weather. You said that was what I get for living in a sh!!hole. Apparently it isn't as bad as you thought.
Hazard Kentucky has been mentioned several times here as a bad neighborhood. Out of curiosity I looked up details on that area and compared it to Baker County Oregon where I am moving to. Baker has about 18,000 people and 3,068 square miles. That is 5.8 people per square mile. The county that Hazard is in (I hope I got the right county) has about 28,000 people and an area of 343 square miles. That is 81.6 people per square mile. More people in a small area simply raises the odds of there being bad people. To me those more rural areas and I mean truly rural have less problems simply because they have less people.

Hazard is no worse than anywhere else in eastern KY, Southern West Va, or southwest VA coal country. The population is not spread out, it is in towns and small mining communities. All the land is owned by coal, natural gas, or investment companies. Unemployment is real bad, and that's just the ones looking for a job.
The meth and additiction to pain pills is the problem here. Plus the lack of real law enforcement.

kenny thomas":2brx2nvb said:
Hazard is no worse than anywhere else in eastern KY, Southern West Va, or southwest VA coal country. The population is not spread out, it is in towns and small mining communities. All the land is owned by coal, natural gas, or investment companies. Unemployment is real bad, and that's just the ones looking for a job.
The meth and additiction to pain pills is the problem here. Plus the lack of real law enforcement.

I lived in Hazard from 1974 until 1978. Law enforcement was a big part of the problem. I have forgotten the names of the families but at the time about 4 families ran Perry County. If you crossed them you end up dead or severely beaten. No one, not even life long residents dared cross them. Those families occupied every law enforcement and justice system in the county. Everyone referred to them as the Redneck Mifia. It is not as far fetched as what you see on Justifed. I do know it is significantly improved over what it was in those days but the roots are there.

Earlier in this I mention how people helped me when I broke down in central Montana. I looked it up. Musselshell County has 2.4 people per square mile. I think when we are talking about a subject like "the myth of rural culture" we need to look at is the area really rural or not. A lot of areas which use to be rural are not so much anymore. I remember when I was working up north they use to say that Anchorage was about an hours drive from Alaska.

Latest posts