The Myth of Rural Culture

Help Support CattleToday:

It does have a lot to do with historical demographics. I live in Arkansas, just a stones throw from the Oklahoma line. Prior to statehood in 1907, Oklahoma was Indian Territory, and refuge for outlaws. The latter of which is evident in their progeny. Although were I live, and southeast Oklahoma are very rural, it is night and day regards the difference in people.

Just my 2 cents, but I was born in the mid 80's, I think my generation was the beginning of the end of what is used to be. In my opinion entitlement is the main killer, not everybody can be a manager or a business owner, but if you are willing to put in a hard days work and listen and not talk you can make a decent living. I never finished college, not because I couldn't make the grades just didn't think the price of paper they were going to give me was going to determine my success. I have spent my entire adult life working in the O&G industry and had several hundred guys work for me. On an IQ level some of my highest paid employees had the lowest IQ, but they worked their tails off, they were honest and trustworthy. Before the crash a few years ago we were starting guys at $15/hr working about 80 hours a week. I couldn't tell you how many guys wouldn't take the job because they wanted every weekend off. Most kids now days wants to sit in an temperature controlled environment play on a computer and make 150K a year. They are not work brittle, they grow up in front of a computer, if you are willing to work, there is still a good living to be made. Are there sacrifices of course you may have to move or even work weekends, but if you are willing you can make a good living.

As far as the safety and people stopping to check on you I think the bad people, have ruined it for the good. I always try to stop and help people, but these days I would not do it with my wife or kids in the truck. Just too many people out there that their bad habits are more value able than human life. It is very sad how much it has changed since I was a kid and unfortunate I think it will only get worse.

TennesseeTuxedo":lvotdk0x said:
M-5":lvotdk0x said:
http://www.wtvy.com/content/news/One-shot-in-apparently-burglary-at-Dothan-church-434876043.html

This happened this weekend in our town .

You don't live in Dothan. You're a Two Egg man.

I'm only in Dothan 10 to 12hrs a day 5 days a week for 19yrs but you are correct I don't live here

True Grit Farms":1e801o5l said:
Sure nice when a plan comes together and works as it should. I wonder if the pos had a rap sheet?

well his eyes are open in this pic so it has to be a MUG shot

2017-07-17-12-03-43_small.jpg

our local Jesse Jackson will be marching this week im sure

M-5":1tdo2re8 said:
True Grit Farms":1tdo2re8 said:
Sure nice when a plan comes together and works as it should. I wonder if the pos had a rap sheet?

Isn't that the fella who stopped you in the road the other day?

TennesseeTuxedo":1j9m18eg said:
M-5":1j9m18eg said:
True Grit Farms":1j9m18eg said:

nope. He is still on the loose

M-5":2adhsmgu said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2adhsmgu said:
M-5":2adhsmgu said:

nope. He is still on the loose

Reckon they were kin?

M-5":3p4yg68m said:
True Grit Farms":3p4yg68m said:

Looks like he's happy to be there!

I would ask where are the institutions that created rural culture. One never hears of the 4-h club any more, also is the FFA and FHA still as strong as they were at one time. Also the integration of farming has changed. Here in my part of the woods there were many small double eight flat dairies here. Farm yard chicken flocks, every one had a hog or two. could go on and on. But now the dairies are most in the 1000 cows or more. Chickens in houses that cost a million dollars or more. No Hogs in my area at all. Most land here is bought by people from other places. Most after the deed is on record buy posted signs and place them every where even on your fence that faces them. With never a thought as why the heck would I want on your place.

the 4h and ffa here are a force to be reckoned with. gage just came back from 4h camp and as he gets older the ffa will be next. very involved here in florida

4h and FFA are very strong here BUT the issue I see is all of these programs are run by women now and with that all of the Real AG related learning has been thrown away and they concentrate on showing or judging only. Back in the day you actually learned to drive a tractor or weld or carpentry . I am not speaking out of my azz on this as I have seen it first hand and know 2 very good teachers that have personally told me they know nothing about the equipment in their shops. but they can tell you anything about showing goats , rabbits, chickens and cows . I have been involved in trying to help them bring some of this back and have held little clinics with their classes.

that's pretty true here also. its not as grass roots as it was for sure. I haven't really noticed it tho since were ag influenced at home already.
gage is in the shooting club now so were away from the politics of showing

the old ways of things are passing just as our fathers ways of doing things did...aot of the influences are still there but not the practical way of doing things....

ya cant turn back time and progress will come with or without you standing in its way..

blending both will make you the most successful....using your head or your hands

Here in this area, I think the FFA and 4H are still pretty strong. From what I understand the FFA has a greenhouse, and they have a mechanic shop. A few years back, I heard that they were repairing equipment still and building wagon flats. We have had some children 11, and 15 yrs old staying with us, wife knew the family from when she was teaching in Cleveland. They are good kids, and we are trying to teach them a little about our life on the farm. We are letting the 15 yr old drive the truck some. When they have went to the garden with us, the younger one usually gets fussy within a few minutes from being hot or seeing a bug. It seems funny to me because I spent a lot of my childhood out with my parents when they worked, and then for entertainment I would walk around the pasture looking for bugs or other critters.

The 4H and FFA are pretty strong here. What is missing is the adult community interaction. Grange has almost completely died out. Church attendance has dropped. People stay to themselves. The neighbors helping neighbors on a regular basis has really dropped. People do step up when there is a flood or some other disaster but once that has past it dies out quickly. I see that happen as population grows. One of the main reasons I am moving to a much more rural area.

Latest posts