stop naming your cows

Help Support CattleToday:

I only have one with a name right now. That is Fuzzy who is also #2. She has long curly hair. Well there is also the bull whose name is Mr. Bull (I always treat a bull with respect). When I pick up another bull in a couple weeks there will be old Mr. Bull and young Mr. Bull.

I'm finding it hard to see why someone would get annoyed because someone else names their cows. Seems to me both names and numbers are legitimate identifiers useful , well necessary , for passing on information from one party to another. If it's easier for some to remember a name as opposed to a number then I say name away !

Try buying embryos or semen without a name and number.... This post is from an wanna be

go to any breed registry they all have names!!! ! and numbers

go back to raising your sale barn culls

hopalong":2tnulgr9 said:
Try buying embryos or semen without a name and number.... This post is from an wanna be

Stick with us. You'll get the hang of it sooner or later. :D

Lazy M":2k22q8f8 said:
I'm not sure why I find this so annoying, but why do some feel the need to give EVERY cow they own a stupid name? It just strikes me as kind of childish.. I can understand giving 1 or 2 special cows a name like if their old and have given you 10+ calves, or if you raised them off a bottle, or if you're a seedstock operation and want name recognition, etc.. but if you're a commercial guy, come on: they're COWS NOT PETS OR HORSES just let them go by their tag #

I understand how things can be annoying under the right circumstance, but I will have to say, this is not an issue where I live. I'm sure people name their cows, but it's never addressed to the point that it's annoying.

Is it one of those things that people constantly talk about where you live to the point that it's annoying? Do they talk about it at the sale barn, grocery store, barber shop, and cafe? Is there an annual cow-naming festival or something? :lol2:

Hehe I think that we are ganging up on the OP again!
Nock it off you cow naming, number loving, wanna bes! Kick Granny cow out of the barn, take that bottle outta that calfs mouth, and get back to kickin the dog! :cowboy:

cow pollinater":2ddmbzyy said:
hopalong":2ddmbzyy said:

Stick with us. You'll get the hang of it sooner or later. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

hopalong":1e14sdy3 said:

You paid attention to the market prices? The gap between commercial and registered is really getting closer.. a fellow is money ahead to stick with mutt cows..
Give Bonny, Daisy, and Lulu my best when you brush them down tonight..

Lazy M":4vdv9bbx said:
hopalong":4vdv9bbx said:

You paid attention to the market prices? The gap between commercial and registered is really getting closer.. a fellow is money ahead to stick with mutt cows..
Give Bonny, Daisy, and Lulu my best when you brush them down tonight..
What does "market prices" have to do with "naming them"? I have taken cows to the sale barn that have names. Sorry, still don't see your point big guy! :D

Some interesting comments on this thread so far... All of our cattle are tagged and that is how we refer to them, by their number. With that said, there is always going to be those "Special" cows that somehow manage to be given a name, usually by the wife or kiddos.

We do refer to all of our bulls by name though... "Steak Maker", "Fancy", "Baby-Face", "Shotgun", and "Chuckie"!

The only things that is a little annoying is the many, many folks I have met or know who names the freezer beef something like "t-bone, hamburger, big mac ect.". It's not clever, it's been done before many, many times. :mrgreen:

Alan":6hbtqeiu said:
The only things that is a little annoying is the many, many folks I have met or know who names the freezer beef something like "t-bone, hamburger, big mac ect.". It's not clever, it's been done before many, many times. :mrgreen:

you forgot sir-loin. I am think of naming one of my ncliz4 in honor of sirloin

Like you tn cattle, my wife names whoever she wants. If she talks about one by name she knows she should know the number or I won't have a clue who she is talking about without more details such as "the bottle baby, or #30's calf".

I'm sure I'm like most who know much more about my cows just by seeing them. Meaning I can see one grazing and not see the tag and know who it is both the number and her history, who's daughter she is who's her sire, who is her daughter in the herd or who her granddaughter is. For me that makes a name just an unimportant bit of info. But no harm naming your cattle ...... As long as you don't name your freezer beef "T-Bone". :lol:

the name helps me remember that information, because their full name incorporates their sire name and the first letter or first two letters of their dam name.
But since I'm naming registered cattle this thread does not apply to me :)
I do name the other type of cattle as well, and follow the same format. The first lot of calves born to my herd a lot of them got names based on their looks or behaviour: Runna, Blanche, Mermaid (was born into a deep puddle), Obstra (short for obstreperous), Dark Eyes, Gaunt, Ghostie (both nearly died of scours, actually, Ghostie did die but I resurrected her), Speckles, Gem, Princess. Middle name is their sire, first is the herd name.

I did name a couple pigs ham and bacon. But that was so the GF who was making pets out of them wouldn't forget where they were headed. But they were pigs and it is alright to name pigs.

Dave":1690pn3s said:
I did name a couple pigs ham and bacon. But that was so the GF who was making pets out of them wouldn't forget where they were headed. But they were pigs and it is alright to name pigs.

Heck yeah it's alright, who can forget the greatest pig of all time, Arnold Ziffle?!

TennesseeTuxedo":1jd7l6w2 said:
Dave":1jd7l6w2 said:

Heck yeah it's alright, who can forget the greatest pig of all time, Arnold Ziffle?!

LOL- Thursday night I bought 5 pigs One gilt looks like a herford hog so she was given the name rosie by my wife. she hasn't named the rest yet but I've been calling the boar (nutty) he very well endowed for 2-3 months old

We have about 60 cows and calves on our farm and every heifer gets a name when she is born along with a number. I read a Hoard's Dairyman that had an article about a study done that said cows with a name milk more than one without, cows have the same IQ as a dog and a cow recognizes it's name just like a dog. I have had many cows that when I call their names they will give me a moo back. Also with consumers these days feeling that dairy farming is inhumane I feel that naming them instead of just tag numbers shows a more personal touch rather than giving people the impression a cow is just another animal adding to the milk check.

Latest posts