stop naming your cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score
I'm not sure why I find this so annoying, but why do some feel the need to give EVERY cow they own a stupid name? It just strikes me as kind of childish.. I can understand giving 1 or 2 special cows a name like if their old and have given you 10+ calves, or if you raised them off a bottle, or if you're a seedstock operation and want name recognition, etc.. but if you're a commercial guy, come on: they're COWS NOT PETS OR HORSES just let them go by their tag #

I only have one that has earned a name and that is Bertha. Bertha is not for sale at any price and she has a home with me as long as she lives.

Some people can remember and keep track of names better. Numbers can run together after awhile. We are a small outfit and have some with names, some we just go by their number. Depends on their personality/history I guess. Some stand out and others don't.

We probably have 30 cows named. All names derive from how that cow looks. Jawbone has a white outline on her jaw, Honey was honey colored, Cherry is red, Dolly is….Dolly, etc. Bulls are Patrick, Henry and Gus.
Some of the named cows do not have eat tags.

We had Spooky and Valentine processed at the same time. We were eating Sunday dinner and the in-laws were over. My then 10 yo daughter asked if this was Spooky or Valentine. The look on the in-laws faces was priceless.

Lazy M":3tbq7575 said:
I'm not sure why I find this so annoying, but why do some feel the need to give EVERY cow they own a stupid name? It just strikes me as kind of childish.. I can understand giving 1 or 2 special cows a name like if their old and have given you 10+ calves, or if you raised them off a bottle, or if you're a seedstock operation and want name recognition, etc.. but if you're a commercial guy, come on: they're COWS NOT PETS OR HORSES just let them go by their tag #

I know lots of commercial guys, that name all their cows. With huge cowherds - 200-300+. Mind you it is the same name for all of them and it's not fit for polite company.

Lazy M":2iqxb16q said:
I don't know why in the world you would "find it annoying". It is no more annoying than you calling yours by "tag numbers." :mrgreen: Different strokes for different folks. Get over it. ;-)

Lets see here we have had Big Red Finicky, Toots, Pet, Whitey, Memory, Snow, Baby Finicky, Sweet Pea and the one I enjoyed shipping Woman Hater!
Can I tell you their tag numbers? Nope! But I remember their names! :D :D

Lazy M":1zhe1tx8 said:

Not many commercial guys can name all 100 plus cows - just the pretend commercial guys with 6 animals

But, we have one old girl - number 99 - guess what HER name is? Gretzky! LOL

Can't help it - have to have one with a name! LOL

Cheers

Bez

only one gets a name around here is the bull until I bought a black angus bull he didn't get a name that can be used on here I usually name them after famous generals haven't decided what to name my new bull

I find people who name their dogs annoying..., then come here asking for "Rex" when they haven't seen him in a week. Such unoriginal names too.

I have named 20 cows a year for 20 years now, though the names for steers are kinda getting exhausted. I have no issue with people NOT naming their cows, but I think those who do know them better, or they'd have names... and they make great pets... I can't understand people who have reptiles as pets (and no, I don't dislike snakes)... My cows know me, I get greeted every morning, they know the sound of MY truck from about 2 miles away... They're actually quite persnickety about who they like!

Nesikep":3d8mohg3 said:
I find people who name their dogs annoying..., then come here asking for "Rex" when they haven't seen him in a week. Such unoriginal names too.

I have named 20 cows a year for 20 years now, though the names for steers are kinda getting exhausted. I have no issue with people NOT naming their cows, but I think those who do know them better, or they'd have names... and they make great pets... I can't understand people who have reptiles as pets (and no, I don't dislike snakes)... My cows know me, I get greeted every morning, they know the sound of MY truck from about 2 miles away... They're actually quite persnickety about who they like!
I have read that cattle have the same IQ as a dog. So what is so wrong (to some people) about having a cow as a pet? :roll: Not macho to admit that you like a certain cow that much? I don't get it.

Gussie, Dossie, Sassafras, Daisy, Bonnie, Elsie, Sally, Bucky, Frazier, Ginger, Molly, Panda, 2 Socks, 2 Socks II, Short Socks, Nub, Finn, Little Bit, Lucy.

branguscowgirl":1zfc8hta said:
Lazy M":1zfc8hta said:
I don't know why in the world you would "find it annoying". It is no more annoying than you calling yours by "tag numbers." :mrgreen: Different strokes for different folks. Get over it. ;-)

I am with branguscowgirl on this.....

be anoyed all you want cause what I call my cows is noneya business.

does not mean I have humanized them....means I have identified them....

A Few cows get names.

Dog's name is dog. That seems to really annoy some people. Vet gives my dog a name. He's gone thru 4 dogs of mine now. We called one puppy all his life. The rest have been dog.

If you watch Swamp People you'll note that they name the big bad alligators.

I don't understand it all. Dog is laying there looking at me and he don't seemmuch care.

branguscowgirl":2rgz633r said:
Nesikep":2rgz633r said:

I have read that cattle have the same IQ as a dog. So what is so wrong (to some people) about having a cow as a pet? :roll: Not macho to admit that you like a certain cow that much? I don't get it.
If it makes you happy; keep naming them. No big deal. I'll just keep rolling my eyes whenever you reference them by name

I know lots of commercial guys, that name all their cows. With huge cowherds - 200-300+. Mind you it is the same name for all of them and it's not fit for polite company.[/quote]
You're right! The only ones that I've named are the ones that are hard to handle- and I'd get thrown off here if I listed their names

Latest posts