stop naming your cows

Help Support CattleToday:

I have grand-kids, great nieces and nephews and there ain't a way in the world I'm gonna tell them to not name them. Besides, even if I did, I'd lose that battle.

The funniest example of naming cows I ever saw was at a dairy I was testing. They bane then by tag nuber and each cow knows her number. One evening one cow was coming into heat and when her name?tag was called she went around to the back of the holding pen. He called her name a cople more times and she didn;t budge. Finally he said "name/tag number don;t make me come out there and get you". Sure enough she came shuffling up to go into the parlor.

my black cows are shiquta, lataysia, lakeshia etc, my red cows are Pocahontas, alaqua, ayasha, etc, brown cows are selena, pita, maria, etc. , white cows are jill, Susie and mary,

we have close to 30 of ours named some for personality some what was going on when they were born, Barb was born the day Aunt Barb passed, Tina was born when Tina won the first survivor show personality you can guess

kucala5":1jvafw9t said:
Gussie, Dossie, Sassafras, Daisy, Bonnie, Elsie, Sally, Bucky, Frazier, Ginger, Molly, Panda, 2 Socks, 2 Socks II, Short Socks, Nub, Finn, Little Bit, Lucy.
Forgot to mention Queen of Mean!

branguscowgirl":1bfxyggc said:
Lazy M":1bfxyggc said:
I'm not sure why I find this so annoying, but why do some feel the need to give EVERY cow they own a stupid name? It just strikes me as kind of childish.. I can understand giving 1 or 2 special cows a name like if their old and have given you 10+ calves, or if you raised them off a bottle, or if you're a seedstock operation and want name recognition, etc.. but if you're a commercial guy, come on: they're COWS NOT PETS OR HORSES just let them go by their tag #
I don't know why in the world you would "find it annoying". It is no more annoying than you calling yours by "tag numbers." :mrgreen: Different strokes for different folks. Get over it. ;-)

:lol: :clap: :tiphat: good one

I sometimes wonder if some folks shouldn't have named theirs 'sugar, honey, sweetheart, baby..............." :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :hide:

kucala5, you gave me some ideas,.. I'd used most of them but I like Sassafras... Daisy was a pet, Bonnie was a beast, Lucy lived to 18 :)

Named very few cows, but bulls were a different story . Bumble nuts, tide,cross, shag, ol sot, shadow, oly, killer, runt, redman, and many others. Of course one of the last bulls I owned was called Bevo, daughter named him. She had just started her freshman year at UT.

He had bloodlines that ol school limousin breeders would love. Muscle everywhere and so gentle. You could tell that bull to load up on a trailer and he would.

Doesn't annoy me at all but I see no cause for it. Growing up seems every milk cow we had was named "baby". I had "Grandma" because she was so old and that's the only one named. Others I just recognize by size, shape, and any body markings.

I had started years ago naming mine after family members. My aunt "Rosey" and aunt "Delories" used to tease each other about who was going to win at the fair. It gave them a little sisterly rivalry, routing for their (namesake) cow! It was fun stuff. Now they are both gone. :(

Nesikep":326fez30 said:
kucala5, you gave me some ideas,.. I'd used most of them but I like Sassafras... Daisy was a pet, Bonnie was a beast, Lucy lived to 18 :)
Sassy is from my "granny" cow. She starting running past her mama tail flying and bucking almost from the first day. Mama all the time trying to rein her in with that low grunt...to no avail. She was most definitely a sassafras. She is a second calver this year...and Dossie (granny) gave us another nice heifer this year, Gussie. We think Dossie is 17.

branguscowgirl":2uzpz0qb said:
Lazy M":2uzpz0qb said:
I'm not sure why I find this so annoying, but why do some feel the need to give EVERY cow they own a stupid name? It just strikes me as kind of childish.. I can understand giving 1 or 2 special cows a name like if their old and have given you 10+ calves, or if you raised them off a bottle, or if you're a seedstock operation and want name recognition, etc.. but if you're a commercial guy, come on: they're COWS NOT PETS OR HORSES just let them go by their tag #
I don't know why in the world you would "find it annoying". It is no more annoying than you calling yours by "tag numbers." :mrgreen: Different strokes for different folks. Get over it. ;-)
WELL SAID... :clap:

Limomike":ww4trzi6 said:
branguscowgirl":ww4trzi6 said:
Lazy M":ww4trzi6 said:
WELL SAID... :clap:
I guess that I'd have a hard time sending "Daisy" or "Sugar Plum" to market whenever they came up open.. I run a beef operation not a petting zoo..

I don't know why in the world you would "find it annoying". It is no more annoying than you calling yours by "tag numbers." :mrgreen: Different strokes for different folks. Get over it. ;-)[/quote]
WELL SAID... :clap:[/quote]
I guess that I'd have a hard time sending "Daisy" or "Sugar Plum" to market whenever they came up open.. I run a beef operation not a petting zoo..[/quote]

I dont have a hard time sending any of mine to market..OR placing a bullet in the skull of ol Betsy when she gets down..........no matter if they are named, or tagged or nothing. I personally only name my bulls..my daughter and wife tend to name the cows. So, you keep running your operation your way.. and I will do mine my way.

Not everyone farms for profit, some do it for enjoyment. Kinda like playing golf or rock climbing, those people don't make money its a hobby to them.

skeeter swatter":3if0se0i said:
I don't name anything I plan to eat, although I did name one bull "Dangles".

the kids have names our steers in the past that at the time didn't realize we were going to eat it. after they missed a meal or two by not eating meat and just vegetables ole red wasn't became easier to swallow.

Latest posts