stop naming your cows

Help Support CattleToday:

My neighbor has a herd of cattle. He manages the rural water district. I saw him one day and made a comment about the braying animal he added to his herd. He said, "Oh that's Obama"

We sold our first born on the farm Reg. bull last week. His name is Burglar.

8 yo neighbor kid says "Scott Scott i'm changing the Priority calf's name to Burglar"

That's dumb Addie!

Not really ,look he's stealing milk from Sage!

OK his name is Burglar,Haha. You win Addie.

The Absolute steer was named Meaty Butt, and he sure was.

We have a small herd but don't name them. Well, we had Big Mama (turned out she was just BIG, so she got a ride); then we had one steer kept getting himself stuck inside the round bale feeder. His name became Stupid. I'm sure many of you have had a similarly-named one!

I hadn't thought of it in years, but at one time my father bought a weaning age bull calf that never got very big. He was Popcorn Phart.

When we bought our first cows everyone told us not to name them because we'd get too attached. Still got attached. Still have a few of our original cows and they know their number when we call them. The herd has expanded and they all have names. Some are themes, especially the bulls, currently Dick, Johnson & Rod. The implication is a little salty but can still refer to them in polite company ;-)

Jeanne - Simme Valley":8fbc9urw said:
BJB - Basically the same here, but our's is based on the letter of the name instead of the theme.
We don't worry about correlating with the year code for one main reason...the ABGA for our boers has the year code on a different calendar. So in cattle, E is for 2017, but in goats, G is for 2017. We use them for there respective species as herd ID and tattoo numbers, but it really is little help remembering the birth year of any given animal off the top of one's head in most cases!

All ours are registered so, they all get a name. I don't remember most of the names. Those sold for show are easy since they are qorked eceey day.

All here (80 or so cows/heifers) have a numbered ear tag, but every one also has a name (I assert that Thirty-Four and Sixty-One are, indeed, names). Most cow families follow some sort of loose convention/association... names start with a particular letter (Ping, Pong, Patty, Penny, etc.) or a theme (General, Major, Captain, Sarge, etc.) . I know ear tag # and name for most... even if I can no longer read the number on the tag.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/a ... s-say.html

We really do it to keep track of cow families. All the cows from a certain dam start with A's or R's or whatever their dams first letter was so we can keep track of lineage better. It helps give the farm a more fuzzy feeling when people come and see cows with their names in their ears. Which is important, we have run a farm store, so lots of families come and see the cows.We are a small farm, about 100 cows total.
It also gives us a name to cuss at.

Latest posts