stop naming your cows

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":2chtmhre said:
I sometimes wonder if some folks shouldn't have named theirs 'sugar, honey, sweetheart, baby..............." :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :hide:

Those are the people who get annoyed about other people naming their cows, because they can't say their cows names in public :lol2:

Ear tagging a chicken is done just like cattle, except it's in one ear and out the other :roll:

Limomike":32rwi3wc said:
Yeah, its kinda like my chickens and guineas.. we used to name them all.. but got tired of calling them and they didnt listen.. so now, we put tags in their ears . Its much easier that way.
:lol: I will have to try that with mine! :lol:
Though my Boston Terrior has had the same name for 5 yrs. and still won't come when I call him! :bang: He does come when I say "do you want some CHEESE?" So I think that I will change his name to "Cheese"! :D

I have only named one myself but I have a wife and 2 daughters that think they need names. They don't name the bulls but because I'm keeping my heifers right now they try naming them. They even have a list with there names and the tag number. I'm like if you can't remember their names then why bother. :???:
The one that I named is not even my favorite cow. She is a brangus with a very distinct Roman nose. She is the biggest cow I have and she must know it. She's very bossy and pushes all the others around pretty hard around a feed trough. I named her Claudia. I call my bull P.R. because he has a PR brand.

Well at least my daughter knows how to name her 4-H steers.
Pot Roast last year and Chuck Roast this year.

Sweet Pea was her first cow and that is also daughters nickname! Go figure!

And there is a bull who wants to take over the neighbor's pasture named Putin

On our farm, naming the animals started with the in laws. They had a small herd. Names like big ears, patch, grey horns, moose, moose's daughter .as a way to identify there 30 some odd cows. Even in the calving books, the animals were either identified by a mark or something

We implemented tags many years ago but names still stick to some...suzzie, 007, tin gut, patches, red, and my favorite, two bottle fed calves...Ozzie and Harriet.

We name our bulls. After the farm they came from. Except for one. He went through a few names...started out as Del, then culvert on legs and then cul.

The fellow who bought Hector from me, his last bull was called d***head.. and it would play games with his wife, he knew his ife was really scared of him, and he'd go and block her path home by just standing there, or peeking around the corner of the barn

Someone on here once said they had a 7 year old steer, he was valuable because when he was called on the range, he'd come running and the rest of the herd would follow... can't remember who that was though

I luv herfrds":2yutdbqj said:
Well at least my daughter knows how to name her 4-H steers.
Pot Roast last year and Chuck Roast this year.

Sweet Pea was her first cow and that is also daughters nickname! Go figure!

Hey, I got a name for her next steer.. 'Sir Loin' :banana:

Mine all have tags but I address them all as either, sweetheart, killer, or fruitloop. Sweetheart is generic for a cow doing what she's supposed to do or sarcastic for a cow that is NOT doing what she's suposed to do but is not mean about it. Killer is for the really gentle ones and has roots in my teaching my kids to be brave around cows(they have since figured out that killer means really gentle), and fruitloop is for the goofy shyt that is a danger to themselves and or others but is mostly about others meaning me.

Dairy farm I worked, named the cattle with one letter of the alphabet for each year. E.g. 2012 they all named with B, betty, brenda etc.. 2013 C, etc etc. Made it easy to remember who was born when.

I thought of that... but sometimes you see a calf and you have a name that's perfect for it. also leads to 'stupid' names when you get to q and z. I found I can't remember the names as well if they're all too similar

I quit give names to young black heifers since 2010 but the odd colored (red, spotted and belted) calves still get a name. This year I kept a black heifer and named her N.E....No Ears.

Latest posts