What are your goals for 2024?

Help Support CattleToday:

Twin G

Reaction score
What are the goals you have for your ranch this new year?

I have so many things I want to do, but my goals are this:
1. get fully stocked. Buy 9 bred cows and 7 Boer goat does.
2. Keep better detailed logs on feed expenses and animals logs. I started this already, but I want a full year to see more accurate financials.
3. I have brush that has been pushed over the years that is all over the place. I want to get those stacked and burned
4, Grub some areas to try to get better grazing areas
5. Plant some fields. I am really wanting to plant a couple green fields of some sort.

I read the other day somewhere that you shouldn't tell people your goals as it negatively affects your chances of attaining them.

Happy new year.

(Thread closed?)

1. My goal and hope is for another year of reasonable health and to be able to help my family.

2. I know the economic arguments against it, but my goal is to eliminate the trader type cattle from my herd and concentrate on keeping back home raised heifers. I get enough from steer calves and cull cows when prices are high to keep up cash flow. When prices are low I need to sell heifers to pay the bills.

3. If we get some rain, a goal is to have enough hay either put up or bought by late summer.

4. Acquire a well bred bull with known background. My last two have been stockyards bulls that looked good but gave an inconsistent calf crop. With a good bull on the cows I raise, I rarely see the occasional dink I have had the last couple of years.

1 - I want to expose all my 2023 heifers for 30 days. Preg check them and roll the opens to the beef program. Would like to do this from here on out if I can control enough ground.

2 - I want to get most or all my animals onto leased ground this growing season so I can hay this whole farm 1st and 2nd cutting. Bring animals home when grass runs out to graze the place. Then feed all the hay onto the ground from which it came. Sell the leased ground hay.

3 - I'd like to sell 10 beefs every 3 months. Economy might not allow this one.

4 - I'm going to try Jeanne's beef feeding recipe to a T. I want some 750-800 pound carcass weights by 14 months of age.

5 - Find a quicker way to do grass finished. Winning solution may be buying cull 2 to 4 year olds and grazing thru the growing season. Couldn't claim 100% natural though.

Latest posts