What have you done lately that made you question your intelligence?

Help Support CattleToday:

gman4691

Reaction score
Saw the thread "I can't be this stupid" about the AI gun. Thought a thread on the lighter side could be interesting. We've all done things we can look back on and say, "Boy, that was stupid." Maybe we can learn from each other's mistakes. Could be useful for the newbies.

For instance, the other day a contractor working at the park I manage told me I could have the big spools that the water line they installed came on (there were two of them). The guy actually had one of his hands partially disassemble them so they would be easier for me to haul. So, I take the 3/4 ton with a 16' trailer to work one morning to pick them up. Got it all loaded up without incident. Then, discovered that I left my keys to the buildings/locks in the park in my other truck (50 miles away). So I say to myself, "I don't want to drag this trailer all the way back just to turn around and come back." So I unhook the trailer, drive back home in the 3/4 ton, grab the keys from the other truck, and return to the park...in the 3/4 ton. About half way there I realized I could have just brought the trailer and steel home with the 3/4 ton, parked them at the house, and drove the Tacoma back to work. Then, the 3/4 ton, the trailer, and the steel would be at the house and I would be done with transporting everything...and be back to driving the Tacoma back & forth to work as usual. duh!

Saw the thread "I can't be this stupid" about the AI gun. Thought a thread on the lighter side could be interesting. We've all done things we can look back on and say, "Boy, that was stupid." Maybe we can learn from each other's mistakes. Could be useful for the newbies.

For instance, the other day a contractor working at the park I manage told me I could have the big spools that the water line they installed came on (there were two of them). The guy actually had one of his hands partially disassemble them so they would be easier for me to haul. So, I take the 3/4 ton with a 16' trailer to work one morning to pick them up. Got it all loaded up without incident. Then, discovered that I left my keys to the buildings/locks in the park in my other truck (50 miles away). So I say to myself, "I don't want to drag this trailer all the way back just to turn around and come back." So I unhook the trailer, drive back home in the 3/4 ton, grab the keys from the other truck, and return to the park...in the 3/4 ton. About half way there I realized I could have just brought the trailer and steel home with the 3/4 ton, parked them at the house, and drove the Tacoma back to work. Then, the 3/4 ton, the trailer, and the steel would be at the house and I would be done with transporting everything...and be back to driving the Tacoma back & forth to work as usual. duh!
You ought to see me leaving the house to go somehere. Usually, 5-7 trips from my truck to the house, going back to get something I forgot. Especially if the ole lady is home. She is constantly jabbering about stuff, like maybe what do I want for Christmas dinner ( 11 mos away), or something. So, I will get out to the truck, and start putting my things where they go, like my phone in the holder, then I realize I didn't get it. So, I shut the truck off, use my keys to get in, grab my phone, and go back out, get in, and realize I set my keys on the table where my phone was. I reach for my wallet to get a credit card out to jimmy the door open, and discover I don't have it either. So, I look for our hidden key, get back in the house, grab my wallet and head out, leaving the spare key on the table beside my truck keys. So, I use a credit car to get back in, grab both sets of keys, and go BACk out to the truck. So tore up by now, I go to reach for a smoke, and realixe I dont have them. So I get out again, go back in the house, and spend 10 minutes hunting my cigarettes, then remember they are on the table on the deck. So I grab them, get in the truck, and realize I don't have a lighter. Get back out AGAIN, get a lighter off the deck table, get back in my truck, light up, and lay my lighter on the console tray, right beside the lighter I KEEP in my truck! A year or so ago, I started keeping a cap, a coat, a lighter, a gun, and a pair of glasses in each vehicle. Anyhow, finally, I start to back up, and see she has the trash can over-running. So I get out, put the trash bags in back of the truck, ride them around all day, and then bring them back with me! Next morning, the coons and cats have ripped each one open, and scattered trash all over my truck, and the ground beside it. So, I get side tracked again, going back in the house to get some trash bags. Oh, and when I get home at night, I discover I have worn that truck's hat and coat into the house, brought in that truck's lighter, the truck pistol, and the truck glasses! I MAY have killed too many brain cells in my life..I dunno.

You ought to see me leaving the house to go somehere. Usually, 5-7 trips from my truck to the house, going back to get something I forgot. Especially if the ole lady is home. She is constantly jabbering about stuff, like maybe what do I want for Christmas dinner ( 11 mos away), or something. So, I will get out to the truck, and start putting my things where they go, like my phone in the holder, then I realize I didn't get it. So, I shut the truck off, use my keys to get in, grab my phone, and go back out, get in, and realize I set my keys on the table where my phone was. I reach for my wallet to get a credit card out to jimmy the door open, and discover I don't have it either. So, I look for our hidden key, get back in the house, grab my wallet and head out, leaving the spare key on the table beside my truck keys. So, I use a credit car to get back in, grab both sets of keys, and go BACk out to the truck. So tore up by now, I go to reach for a smoke, and realixe I dont have them. So I get out again, go back in the house, and spend 10 minutes hunting my cigarettes, then remember they are on the table on the deck. So I grab them, get in the truck, and realize I don't have a lighter. Get back out AGAIN, get a lighter off the deck table, get back in my truck, light up, and lay my lighter on the console tray, right beside the lighter I KEEP in my truck! A year or so ago, I started keeping a cap, a coat, a lighter, a gun, and a pair of glasses in each vehicle. Anyhow, finally, I start to back up, and see she has the trash can over-running. So I get out, put the trash bags in back of the truck, ride them around all day, and then bring them back with me! Next morning, the coons and cats have ripped each one open, and scattered trash all over my truck, and the ground beside it. So, I get side tracked again, going back in the house to get some trash bags. Oh, and when I get home at night, I discover I have worn that truck's hat and coat into the house, brought in that truck's lighter, the truck pistol, and the truck glasses! I MAY have killed too many brain cells in my life..I dunno.
My house never gets locked.

Ken

Have you considered Xanax?

When I bought my tractor, used, it had a bad battery. It would charge but went dead within 5-7 days. Charged it the day before I needed and really didn't have a problem. Used it that way for a while. I'll pick up a battery, eventually. So .......I forget now and then. I turned off the tractor for lunch being near the house, wouldnt restart. So I RUN up th the barn and grab the 2 extension cords on the wall and the charger. Like 10 feet short so I go back to the barn for the other cord. Darn, not in the barn. I used it at the house. Went and grabbed it from the basement. Go all the way back to the field, plug it all up set the charger. Went back home again to eat my lunch. Wife asked why I was in and out, so I tell her the story.... she responds with, should have used the crescent in the toolbox behind the seat to bring the battery up to the barn.

.....dam!

When I bought my tractor, used, it had a bad battery. It would charge but went dead within 5-7 days. Charged it the day before I needed and really didn't have a problem. Used it that way for a while. I'll pick up a battery, eventually. So .......I forget now and then. I turned off the tractor for lunch being near the house, wouldnt restart. So I RUN up th the barn and grab the 2 extension cords on the wall and the charger. Like 10 feet short so I go back to the barn for the other cord. Darn, not in the barn. I used it at the house. Went and grabbed it from the basement. Go all the way back to the field, plug it all up set the charger. Went back home again to eat my lunch. Wife asked why I was in and out, so I tell her the story.... she responds with, should have used the crescent in the toolbox behind the seat to bring the battery up to the barn.

.....dam!
Everyone should have at least one of these. It will spin a 7.3 Powerstroke or 6.7 Cummins with no issues.
Keep one in the bass boat.
If you want to talk about having long face get in the middle of Sam Rayburn and your cranking battery kaputs.

HALO Bolt 58830 mWh Portable Phone Laptop Charger Car Jump Starter with AC Outlet and Car Charger - Black Graphite https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FM85W13/?tag=cattletoday00-20

I'm glad that it's not just me that does stuff like this.

My list is long.
Awhile back I was working on my dozer and in a flash of brilliance decided the way to get the turbo off was to torch off the bolt heads. The first spark that landed in the stump pan hit the day old oil soaked leaves and branches and that cat woofed like a dog. My next high level thought process led me on a full run into the shop for a shovel to shovel gravel into the engine bay to snuff the flames. Not an awful idea really but luckily we had a guy camped close to the shop that had a fire extinguisher and he ran over and saved my bacon. Upon putting the shovel back I realized I had tripped over a 30lb fire extinguisher to grab the shovel.

Everyone should have at least one of these. It will spin a 7.3 Powerstroke or 6.7 Cummins with no issues.
Keep one in the bass boat.
If you want to talk about having long face get in the middle of Sam Rayburn and your cranking battery kaputs.

HALO Bolt 58830 mWh Portable Phone Laptop Charger Car Jump Starter with AC Outlet and Car Charger - Black Graphite Amazon product ASIN B07FM85W13
I keep one in my saddle bags on the bike to jump the Harleys off with.

Back when bank machines were relatively new they were only in the banks and if you got to town after banking hours you had to use the machine to get cash and deposit cheques.
I got to town one night with a paycheck in my hand and of course there was a lineup at the machine. I got to the machine, withdrew some cash, put my cheque in the envelope and attempted to deposit it. I tried and tried while the line behind me got longer. Finally a guy walked up, grapped my envelope from the withdrawal slot I was attempting to stuff it in, put it in the deposit slot and off it went.
I just walked out with my head down.

I try to organize my life into 4 separate categories so I no longer have to question whether I 'can do something or not'.

Things I won't do this week.
Things I won't do in the coming weeks.
Things I will never do.
This simplifies my life and removes stress, which allows me to concentrate on the 4th category.
Things I may do someday, if I live long enough & ever decide I have time and energy to do.

My list is long.
Awhile back I was working on my dozer and in a flash of brilliance decided the way to get the turbo off was to torch off the bolt heads. The first spark that landed in the stump pan hit the day old oil soaked leaves and branches and that cat woofed like a dog. My next high level thought process led me on a full run into the shop for a shovel to shovel gravel into the engine bay to snuff the flames. Not an awful idea really but luckily we had a guy camped close to the shop that had a fire extinguisher and he ran over and saved my bacon. Upon putting the shovel back I realized I had tripped over a 30lb fire extinguisher to grab the shovel.
Sometimes when them sort of things happen you get excited and the brain just doesn't seem to work right. I was adding oil into my old green chevy when I dripped some on the engine as I was poring, the next thing I know is there is flames coming. I did start to get excited, looking for something to snuff out the flames; fortunately I remembered that I had a fire extinguisher behind the seat. Like you I was looking for a shovel to toss some dirt on it before I even thought about the extinguisher.

My list is long.
Ok…THAT'S funny…sounds like something I would do

Gettin' those steps in…lol

Latest posts