Old toys that you thought were really cool

Help Support CattleToday:

Laramie (maybe other brands) cap guns. Looked realistic. Used to take them to school when allowed and act TV shows like the A-Team and such. One of the boys wasn't allowed to have them, so someone had to bring one for him. If a group of 4th or 5th graders tried to do today, what we did then, it'd be all over the news. We didn't use caps, just dry fire.

Matchbox cars. There was only one place to buy them in Craig in the early 70's was Craig drug. Remember their glass showcase they were displayed in. Every time we went in I had to check if there were any new cars.

We made pipe bombs. Ride the bike to the hardware store and get some plumbing parts. Sporting goods for a pound or two of gun powder. Generally some home made fuse. We blew things up. This was 4th, 5th and 6th grade. It was fun and luckly nobody was killed or seriously injured. The two ring leaders in this activity (my older brother and a neighbor kid) both ended up being police officers.

We made pipe bombs. Ride the bike to the hardware store and get some plumbing parts. Sporting goods for a pound or two of gun powder. Generally some home made fuse. We blew things up. This was 4th, 5th and 6th grade. It was fun and luckly nobody was killed or seriously injured. The two ring leaders in this activity (my older brother and a neighbor kid) both ended up being police officers.
We used to make zip guns out of half inch water pipe until we got caught 😬

I had an Emergency lunch box

Emergency? You young whippersnapper! ;)

Was it metal? That was well after my lunchbox time. I remember my metal lunchbox's unique smell when I opened it. It wasn't a bad smell. More like a lot of cheese sandwiches and apples had been in it. I don't remember what was ON my lunchbox, so it must not have impressed me much, but I carried that thing for years and years. It served me well. :)

We used to make zip guns out of half inch water pipe until we got caught 😬
My brother made a motar. I think it was about 3 inch pipe with a cap on the bottom end. The cap had a firing pin. The mortar shell was propelled by a trap load shotgun shell cut in half to remove the shot. Drop the shell down the tube, the primer on the shotgun shell hit the firing pin sending the mortar shell flying. He never did figure out how to make explode on landing.

I made exactly 1 (one) pipe bomb. Using powder from a crapload of .22 shorts that were sitting in a wooden box in Dad's garage, corroded all to heck. 4" threaded steel nipple. A cap on each end and a little hole for a fuse.No fuses available so I pieced together about 10 firecracker fuses and laid the thing on top of the trash in Mom's burn barrel. I just lit the trash, backed of about 20 feet and waited. It blew the old rusty barrel apart and got all the neighbors out to see what blew up. I got my butt beat over that.

(Years later, I had been a door gunner about 3 months in RVN and noticed some of the other gunner had a 7.62 projectile on their dog tag chain. I decided to go one better and used an old .50 cal round (they weren't hard to find, laying everywhere out in the crashed helo junkyard behind the concrete revetments) I got the projectile out easy enough, then put it in the vice by the little GSE shack and started drilling a hole, when a big tongue of white fire jetted out of the partially drilled hole. Melted the bit, burned all 4 of the fingers that were in front of the drill handle. dumbass... A tracer or incendiary round that the paint marking had long ago faded away. White phosphorus burns quick and HOT! I threw the thing away, cleaned the burn up myself and never tried it again.

My brother made a motar. I think it was about 3 inch pipe with a cap on the bottom end. The cap had a firing pin. The mortar shell was propelled by a trap load shotgun shell cut in half to remove the shot. Drop the shell down the tube, the primer on the shotgun shell hit the firing pin sending the mortar shell flying. He never did figure out how to make explode on landing.
We did it with M80s when they were still available. Drilled a hole in a pipe T for the fuse and filled the pipe that T'd in with something that fit the "barrel" and it would go through a car door. (Don't ask me how I know)

Latest posts