Old toys that you thought were really cool

Help Support CattleToday:

A lot of things that I enjoyed the most were things I made like a William Tell style crossbow we made arrows with pen nibs bound to the shaft. My mate David and I were playing with it in the back yard and my grandmother was starting to give me a bit of cheek , you know like about shooting someone in the eye. I thought I would fire a warning shot around her feet but managed to impale the arrow into her leg. I can hear her now how she was going to tell my father. Yeh, I got a real flogging for that one.

Ken

Pocket knives. I remember getting one for Christmas around 7-8 years old. Cut myself within an hour.

Fireworks . My little brother and his friend were shooting bottle rockets at me from the barn loft, I stuck a rocket down the barrel of a BB gun to aim better and nailed brother in the head with it. They had stacked straw bales up in the opening to where there was only a foot or two left open so a head shot was inevitable. It's a wonder we didn't burn the barn down. We also had large scale bottle rocket wars, you always wanted to get them close, light a Saturn missile battery and kick it over towards them. That was like artillery. Roman candles were like grenade launchers.

Of course BB guns. The same brother mentioned above shot my glasses lense out one time. I was in jr college at the time, he was in high school. A friend shot him in the nose, brother was in the second story of an old house and the buddy was below him, shot through a hole in the floor. He had to pick it out with a needle.

Shotguns. When you're 14 and the doves ain't flying, your brothers/pals at the other end of a forty look like an opportunity to have some fun. Birdshot raining down on you don't really hurt you but it does sting.

A lot of things that I enjoyed the most were things I made like a William Tell style crossbow we made arrows with pen nibs bound to the shaft. My mate David and I were playing with it in the back yard and my grandmother was starting to give me a bit of cheek , you know like about shooting someone in the eye. I thought I would fire a warning shot around her feet but managed to impale the arrow into her leg. I can hear her now how she was going to tell my father. Yeh, I got a real flogging for that one.

Ken
But did she tone down the cheekiness after that?

My favorite toys were my Clackers and my Shoop-shoop Hula Hoop. I could do either one for hours at a time. It's no wonder my mother went insane. It's her fault for buying them for me, right? ;)
I had Clackers, but a family friend (an adult) was going to show me how it was really done and broke them. He never did replace them, and I was none to happy about it either. Dad probably told he didn't have to. Of course this guy was not all that bright. He one time loaded a rabbit hutch on his pickup across the box, and smacked some poor dude in the head along the highway.

I had the Large Tonka Jeep and the large dump truck. Lots of matchbox cars still buried in our dirt piles from back then. BB guns and archery, then dirtbikes.

My favorite toys were my Clackers and my Shoop-shoop Hula Hoop. I could do either one for hours at a time. It's no wonder my mother went insane. It's her fault for buying them for me, right? ;)
Clackers were the bomb! Until I nailed my brother, which may have been intentional, and never saw them again. And quality time with the Hula Hoop!

How 'bout roller skates? The strap-on kind.

Clackers were the bomb! Until I nailed my brother, which may have been intentional, and never saw them again. And quality time with the Hula Hoop!

How 'bout roller skates? The strap-on kind.
My sister hit me in the back of the head with one..but she was aiming at my front head..it flew over the top and slapped me dead in the back of the head..dont know how we didnt kill each other back then..

Speaking of clackers..there was always that one kid at school, that mastered them..and didn't care to show it

Operation !
Hah…had a squamous cell carcinoma cut out of my ear yesterday. Had a several bleeders that didn't want to stop. The nurse was getting after them and all of a sudden she get outside the numb area and I'd grimace. Somewhere around the third or fourth time she said…this is kind of like playing Operation. Ya go along just fine for a while and all of a sudden ya get buzzed. 😄

Hah…had a squamous cell carcinoma cut out of my ear yesterday. Had a several bleeders that didn't want to stop. The nurse was getting after them and all of a sudden she get outside the numb area and I'd grimace. Somewhere around the third or fourth time she said…this is kind of like playing Operation. Ya go along just fine for a while and all of a sudden ya get buzzed. 😄
Been there butt it wasn't my ear!🤣🤣🤣

I had a Tonka cement mixer. Well until some kids broke the mixer, then dad turned it into a flatbed truck. I had a wheeled bulldozer that one of my uncles had. I gave it to one of my cousins. I wish I still had that thing. Also had truck and cattle pot that I hauled the kittens in; I'm not sure they really like that all that well.

Latest posts