Which describes you?

Help Support CattleToday:

There's a few farms around that are absolutely disgusting. One place up north is probly more net wrap than grass. And it's 320 acres.

I can't understand why someone would do that to their place.

Every piece of wrap, twine etc is removed around here. What really t's me off is when a bale falls apart and the net gets taken under with it! I've since started cutting lower on the bale. Ain't happened in forever now!!

It would stress me out to leave netting or string on a bale. I keep my hay in a barn so getting frozen isn't an issue for me but even before I did I always tried to figure out how to remove it. I'm always concerned I'll miss some and they'll eat it.
This is my attitude about net wrap . When we first bought our farm we didn't have cows yet . Last high price cycle for cattle so we rented the place till we could buy cows . The fellow never took a net wrap off a bale and fed all over the farm . I'm still finding wrap and trying to pull it up !

I wonder how much nutritional value there is in baler twine...
When I was a kid, I pulled a bologna casing out of a cat's azz. Cat ran faster than I'd seen before and stayed gone for a few days. That has to speak volumes about the nutritional value of synthetic wraps, right?

When I was a kid, I pulled a bologna casing out of a cat's azz. Cat ran faster than I'd seen before and stayed gone for a few days. That has to speak volumes about the nutritional value of synthetic wraps, right?
I'm an old biology teacher in high school and community college. My class was dissecting cats in lab . When we sectioned the gut , esophagus, stomach, small and large intestines. One group kept finding red plastic strings . It took me a minute and then I realized the cat's last meal must of been several slices of bologna, with the red plastic wrap still on it .

I stand the big squares on edge on the flat bed. I cut the 6 strings toward the back of the truck. I pull them forward and tie them to the head ache rack. They are generally there when I am finished with the bale. But occasionally one will slip out of the knot somehow.

I'm an old biology teacher in high school and community college. My class was dissecting cats in lab . When we sectioned the gut , esophagus, stomach, small and large intestines. One group kept finding red plastic strings . It took me a minute and then I realized the cat's last meal must of been several slices of bologna, with the red plastic wrap still on it .
I travel with my day job and usually get an apartment close to the job in the town I'm working in and travel home on the weekends. I am in a new duplex apartment and have been since last spring, the other side has been empty until last week. The new neighbor has a huge bull dog, I have Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I took my dog out one afternoon so he could do his thing and there was a huge pile of crap right behind my apartment. It had large chunks of foam rubber, strings, and cloth material in it which made it quite colorful. The next day I came in from work and their trash can was at the street with 2 shredded couch pillows on top of it.

Remember when I said no exceptions? Even when the back bale spear has loosened and it's too low, subsequently dragging the bale every time you hit a high spot, which eventually explodes. If that ain't a mess! Mr. TC was able to spear the core and move it to a bale ring. But the rest will just stay right there in the road. It's just down from the bale area and the cows will eat it. But first, the netting. Naturally, it was on the bottom, plus it was wet and muddy. I dug through the hay to find an end and just started pulling until I had enough to wrap around the spear (which was when my back started giving out). But by golly, there is NO residual netting.😁IMG_20240123_154258420.jpgIMG_20240123_154303108.jpg end and just started pulling until I had enough to wrap around the spear (which was when my back started giving out). But by golly, there is NO residual netting.😁

Remember when I said no exceptions? Even when the back bale spear has loosened and it's too low, subsequently dragging the bale every time you hit a high spot, which eventually explodes. If that ain't a mess! Mr. TC was able to spear the core and move it to a bale ring. But the rest will just stay right there in the road. It's just down from the bale area and the cows will eat it. But first, the netting. Naturally, it was on the bottom, plus it was wet and muddy. I dug through the hay to find an end and just started pulling until I had enough to wrap around the spear (which was when my back started giving out). But by golly, there is NO residual netting.😁View attachment 39897View attachment 39899 end and just started pulling until I had enough to wrap around the spear (which was when my back started giving out). But by golly, there is NO residual netting.😁
I'm a little OCD about the netting, too (OK - a lot)...can't stand seeing it out there...I pick up every little scrap I find...a habit from working in state parks for around 20 years, I suppose...can't let litter stay out there...mine or anyone else's...

LOL... It occurs to me that this is a very unusual group of people. Either that or the ones that don't worry about bale wrap aren't weighing in. Because a majority of places I've gone to, neighbors, friends, some kind of business, have a lot of twine hanging around.

Latest posts