Which describes you?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a friend who was dragging his pasture with a Ford 8n. Went in to eat some lunch. Not a cow in sight. Parked in the field but only about 40 feet from the house. Went in and ate a sandwich. Came out of the house. Not a cow in sight. Not a single spark plug wire left on the tractor and couldn't find any on the ground.

We use sisal on hay, net wrap on haylage. Curse every sob we buy hay from for using net wrap or plastic twine. We usually set up 4 to 7 days ahead on end with frozen side to the sun. Amazing how much ice will disappear even in -30 temps.
Neighbor throws bales in processor with net wrap on. Claims the wrap ALL ends up on the flail… I care to differ.

I found the best tool to cut bale twine is a linoleum knife, easy to carry in your pocket, don't have to open and close it, and can be razor sharp
I feed small squares, if you cut close to the knot then pull on the knotted end you both have a little something to grip, and you don't have to pull the knot through the hay..,. Benefit is also then you have good pieces of twine with no knot to tie up your fences with
Once I've pulled all the twine off I roll it into a loop and pass the end through it a few times.. even if that would get lost it doesn't tangle into stuff as bad and the cows won't eat it

BTW, tell us about the cow deal……
Well, a guy stopped at my house and told my wife he wanted to sell me his cows. Only 6 pair but young and very gentle.
I met him and told him i really didn't have enough extra hay to buy them. He said to just leave them there and the hay would be part of the deal. I priced them and he said yes. He has 3 female donkeys if anyone is interested. They are eating MY hay so they gotta go.

I have a friend who was dragging his pasture with a Ford 8n. Went in to eat some lunch. Not a cow in sight. Parked in the field but only about 40 feet from the house. Went in and ate a sandwich. Came out of the house. Not a cow in sight. Not a single spark plug wire left on the tractor and couldn't find any on the ground.
Did he have any 4 cylinder cows?

We use sisal on hay, net wrap on haylage. Curse every sob we buy hay from for using net wrap or plastic twine. We usually set up 4 to 7 days ahead on end with frozen side to the sun. Amazing how much ice will disappear even in -30 temps.
Neighbor throws bales in processor with net wrap on. Claims the wrap ALL ends up on the flail… I care to differ.
We used netwrap almost exclusively this year. Reason being we had very little hay and it was short. I started looking at the huge piles of chaff in front of every bale I kicked out and figured I better do something. It is also saving hay from spoilage. But it is a PIA to feed. We do like you and stand several days worth on end with frozen side to the sun. It sure helps if the sun shines.

Well, a guy stopped at my house and told my wife he wanted to sell me his cows. Only 6 pair but young and very gentle.
I met him and told him i really didn't have enough extra hay to buy them. He said to just leave them there and the hay would be part of the deal. I priced them and he said yes. He has 3 female donkeys if anyone is interested. They are eating MY hay so they gotta go.
maybe Skyhightree needs some donkeys?

Sounds like my cows
I had one heifer and she darned near got the quad started.. first fiddled with the key.. then she was pulling on the starter rope and playing with it

The previous owner to our place back when round bales first got popular around here bought one of these racks that you drag down the bale line. It would pick the bale up a couple of inches and slid on this long black plastic sleeve. I have no idea how many bales would be lined up with one sleeve. He never picked up the plastic nor the string left over, grass grew over that and now I have string and plastic scattered 3-6" under the surface that I don't dare mow. Looks really bad so I just pull a piece every time I drive by there. Obviously I'm a wrap nazi while unrolling in the pasture now.

We remove all twine and net wrap…this time of the year we drop bales from the loader to loosen the snow/ice and then tip a group of bales to face south, rotate as needed to try to melt the ice - sometimes helps with a Chinook or a hot sun. We have a mallet/hammer in the tractor to bang the ice loose. Then cut with the knife and peel off and bang the odd "flake" loose because every mouthful matters! 😂 The kids grump and roll their eyes at their parent's obsessions and "rules". It's a pain when it's frigidly cold BUT it is a relief to not have it in the manure, wrapped around the bale buster, or a digestive worry.

Latest posts