stop naming your cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Putangitangi":3ghd82qo said:
Most of mine have numbers, some have names. Typically the named ones get terrible, rare disorders and die or need to be put down.
That's exactly what happened to mine named ones, so I stopped naming them.

Lazy M":307poffd said:
I'm not sure why I find this so annoying, but why do some feel the need to give EVERY cow they own a stupid name? It just strikes me as kind of childish.. I can understand giving 1 or 2 special cows a name like if their old and have given you 10+ calves, or if you raised them off a bottle, or if you're a seedstock operation and want name recognition, etc.. but if you're a commercial guy, come on: they're COWS NOT PETS OR HORSES just let them go by their tag #

Many of us find it annoying people create user names and do not list where they are from ? just like HDrider posted... ;-)

skyhightree1":1la0jmii said:
Lazy M":1la0jmii said:
I'm not sure why I find this so annoying, but why do some feel the need to give EVERY cow they own a stupid name? It just strikes me as kind of childish.. I can understand giving 1 or 2 special cows a name like if their old and have given you 10+ calves, or if you raised them off a bottle, or if you're a seedstock operation and want name recognition, etc.. but if you're a commercial guy, come on: they're COWS NOT PETS OR HORSES just let them go by their tag #

Many of us find it annoying people create user names and do not list where they are from ? just like HDrider posted... ;-)
Central KY. GO CATS!
Didn't see where the location listing was whenever I first signed on. Need to update if folks are annoyed.

Lazy M":wtxtb4y3 said:
skyhightree1":wtxtb4y3 said:
Lazy M":wtxtb4y3 said:

Central KY. GO CATS!
Didn't see where the location listing was whenever I first signed on. Need to update if folks are annoyed.

No biggie just messing with ya :lol2:

We used to name heifers after girls my sons liked, but that seemed to be an automatic cull sentence. :nod: So we have dropped back to physical or source based names like:

Opra, Josie, Red, L'Red, Red Spot, Queen, Princess, Cleo(patra), Curious, Late, Limi, Grandma, Allie, Randi, Than, Patch, Bear, Ace, Cyclops, SD, Ho, L'Ho

The others just get numbers, but that is REALLY hard on their egos...

Yeah, its kinda like my chickens and guineas.. we used to name them all.. but got tired of calling them and they didnt listen.. so now, we put tags in their ears . Its much easier that way.

Limomike":13g7c462 said:
Yeah, its kinda like my chickens and guineas.. we used to name them all.. but got tired of calling them and they didnt listen.. so now, we put tags in their ears . Its much easier that way.

do you have the make and model of the chicken and guinea tags and a how to video. :hide:

M5farm":fg10tmdh said:
Limomike":fg10tmdh said:

do you have the make and model of the chicken and guinea tags and a how to video. :hide:
I was wondering the same thing!

Deepsouth":33pqqloc said:
M5farm":33pqqloc said:
my black cows are shiquta, lataysia, lakeshia etc, my red cows are Pocahontas, alaqua, ayasha, etc, brown cows are selena, pita, maria, etc. , white cows are jill, Susie and mary,

That's not racist but it is profiling!

how can it be profiling when I have all of them covered. I don't own any camels but if I did I would name him haamid

M5farm":223jdnhc said:
Limomike":223jdnhc said:

Now theres an idea. But as soon as I do, I will post it on here!. Funny thing though, when I sell my chickens or guineas, the buyers keep saying they want more ear an less tail.

Calhoun Farm":crn616a6 said:
Not everyone farms for profit, some do it for enjoyment. Kinda like playing golf or rock climbing, those people don't make money its a hobby to them.
I resemble that comment. I never rock climbed in my life.

27, 75, 69, 30, ect,. But we do name two or three! The steer or steers and the bull . :tiphat: oh yea! We have "the calves" also ...... I almost forgot them! I'm a hobby guy, losing money but that's what I chose to name them.

M5farm":m5z88gma said:
Deepsouth":m5z88gma said:
M5farm":m5z88gma said:
my black cows are shiquta, lataysia, lakeshia etc, my red cows are Pocahontas, alaqua, ayasha, etc, brown cows are selena, pita, maria, etc. , white cows are jill, Susie and mary,

That's not racist but it is profiling!

how can it be profiling when I have all of them covered. I don't own any camels but if I did I would name him haamid
I thoguth all camels were named Clyde or Humphrey

They all have tags but we have two cows with names. The first heifer we bought from my FIL was named KayD by my MIL.
Still have three generations of her and more to come.Since the first, there's always been a KD here. The grandma KayD here now will be 10 in June. When I go to gather them I call KD. She leads and they all start in.
Over 90% of my cows are black but still have one old cow I call Blackie.
Blackie knows her name and I'll always have a lead cow named KayD who also recognizes her name.

So sometimes a name's not a bad thing.

fitz

Latest posts