When do you stop washing/cleaning your PU truck

Help Support CattleToday:

There's phases to my life...I was once wealthy...now i'm a poor dirt farmer....i just maintain my 1989 GMC Sierra, clean cab and bed...I never wash it cause it has two coats of paint....last coat hasn't completely come off. The third phase of my life will be like CB's nice trucks (plural) washed and always wearing nice clothes. I enjoy this phase as a poor dirty farmer tied to God, the land and animals....but the best is to come.

1990. Now I just wait until my wife borrows the truck. She'll drive it through the automatic car wash. I've never been through a car wash.

I was just about ready to clear off 60 ac of heavy woods in East Texas and bought new '08 Silverado. White, what I would call a fleet truck. As the Chevy salesman was with me and filled it up with it's first full tank of gas, he said something along the lines of "This truck has the best paint and body in the industry and it's last you for decades and still look good."

I told him "In 6 months, you won't recognize this truck". He thought I was going to modify it like all the kids do.

He was kinda right. It got banged up, scratched up, always had a crapload of 'stuff' both in the bed and in the back seat, and plenty of leaves and dirt.
About 3 months of every year, the wet climate formed a green algae down the all driver's side (the side I usually parked that happened to be away from the sun) and the top. The 4 indentations that GM curiously put in the roof held water and turned first green, then rusted within a few years. I sold it in 2022 and think I washed it 3, maybe 4 times in the time I had it. Vacumed the inside out once, after just taking a water hose to it.
The only other time the floor got washed out was in 2017.
Picture1009172127_1.jpg

Just out of curiosity... how often have you serviced the axles in fifty years? Ever had a wheel bearing go out?
No never lost a bearing.
I put buddy bearing's on years ago and regularly grease them.
I have replaced the shackles and the brakes once.

The question should be when do you start washing your truck?
I have a small pressure washer at home. I took the F350 in for new tires on Wednesday. I didn't use soap and wouldn't call it a wash, but I did blow the chunks of mud off, just so it wouldn't make a mess of their shop floor.
For the last many years, I install Carhartt seat covers and Weathertech floor mats when I get a truck. Makes it easier to shake the dog hair out and sop up beer fouls.

I was just about ready to clear off 60 ac of heavy woods in East Texas and bought new '08 Silverado. White, what I would call a fleet truck. As the Chevy salesman was with me and filled it up with it's first full tank of gas, he said something along the lines of "This truck has the best paint and body in the industry and it's last you for decades and still look good."

I told him "In 6 months, you won't recognize this truck". He thought I was going to modify it like all the kids do.

He was kinda right. It got banged up, scratched up, always had a crapload of 'stuff' both in the bed and in the back seat, and plenty of leaves and dirt.
About 3 months of every year, the wet climate formed a green algae down the all driver's side (the side I usually parked that happened to be away from the sun) and the top. The 4 indentations that GM curiously put in the roof held water and turned first green, then rusted within a few years. I sold it in 2022 and think I washed it 3, maybe 4 times in the time I had it. Vacumed the inside out once, after just taking a water hose to it.
The only other time the floor got washed out was in 2017.
View attachment 32769
Think you can move back?
Might be profitable as we really need the rain. This drought is going to equal if not surpass 2011.

I don't stop washing them. Even my old farm truck I take through the auto rinse deal. I like the windows clean and worry about what kind of chemicals get on them. My newer trucks get detailed once a month or every other month. I have had my truck detailed and then got it covered in mud 3 hrs later.

One of trucks has hail damage and a bull dent in the rear fender, it still gets detailed. 😄

I wash the dust off the windshield by turning on the wipers while mashing the water spray button. This is a country truck. The exterior is much cleaner in the rainy season. I really take care of the engine, tires and suspension though with all the routine maintanence.

I bought my Wilson stock trailer new in 2013. It gets hundreds of cows in it every year. I have shoveled it out a few times. But I have only washed it once. That was when we moved and it was being used to haul all the household things. I pressure washed it out spotless before doing that.

What about SxS and ATVs? I washed both SxSs and the ATV the other day for the first time ever. One is 3 yrs and other is 4, the atv is 12. I thought they were all trashed but look new now, couldn't believe they came clean 🤣🤣

Cattle trailer is probably 10 yo and never been washed or washed out. Hoping the floor will rot so we can get rumber but no luck. The last trailer got cleaned after every us for 4 yrs then got took out by a tornado.

What about SxS and ATVs? I washed both SxSs and the ATV the other day for the first time ever. One is 3 yrs and other is 4, the atv is 12. I thought they were all trashed but look new now, couldn't believe they came clean 🤣🤣

Cattle trailer is probably 10 yo and never been washed or washed out. Hoping the floor will rot so we can get rumber but no luck. The last trailer got cleaned after every us for 4 yrs then got took out by a tornado.
I don't soap and water them very often but I spray them off quite a bit. I hate getting mud and grass stuck up in them. It tears up CVS and stuff. I'm constantly blowing out radiators and filters and stuff on them.

I'm by myself a lot and walking back sucks. It pays to keep things maintained.

We used to be fairly diligent about pressure washing the UTV's, stock trailers, etc. But when the epic drought hit, we couldn't sacrifice any water. Finally, not so worried about running the wells dry and wow, do they look better.

I detail the Man Truck every year on Father's Day - that's my gift to Mr TC. My truck gets washed/detailed whenever I don't have anything better to do. Which means, maybe a few times a year.