1000-1250- moderate or smaller framed
1250 -1500- good sized cow
Over 1500-- big ol cow.

another viewpoint....
Cull
Dink
Good start
Oh mama!

Fair enough... but what exactly is the advantage of a cow pushing 2000. The slaughter cow buyers might like it. As long as she's not 500 pounds of fat. Which is exactly what elephant Angus is showing off. But are the stocker calf buyers looking for 800 pound weanlings. I sit through a cattle auction at least weekly. I can assure you that they are not. Now registered paper breeders who have become obsessed with things like this push outside of the norm.
But they live in their own fantasy. It's not what agriculture minded producers look at. And of course when asked directly...they just blow you off and change the subject. Elephant Angus being a perfect example.

callmefence said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
callmefence said:
Under 1000- little cow
1000-1250- moderate or smaller framed
1250 -1500- good sized cow
Over 1500-- big ol cow.

another viewpoint....
Cull
Dink
Good start
Oh mama!

Fair enough... but what exactly is the advantage of a cow pushing 2000. The slaughter cow buyers might like it. As long as she's not 500 pounds of fat. Which is exactly what elephant Angus is showing off. But are the stocker calf buyers looking for 800 pound weanlings. I sit through a cattle auction at least weekly. I can assure you that they are not. Now registered paper breeders who have become obsessed with things like this push outside of the norm.
But they live in their own fantasy. It's not what agriculture minded producers look at. And of course when asked directly...they just blow you off and change the subject. Elephant Angus being a perfect example.

Hey TT, are my cows FAT? Didn't you see them grazing in 90+ degree temps, and not to mention literally running across the field in those temps thinking you had something for them to eat? I don't think they were laying down taking it easy. Calling my cattle fat is like calling The Rock fat because he is big.

************* said:
callmefence said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
another viewpoint....
Cull
Dink
Good start
Oh mama!

Hey TT, are my cows FAT? Didn't you see them grazing in 90+ degree temps, and not to mention literally running across the field in those temps thinking you had something for them to eat? I don't think they were laying down taking it easy. Calling my cattle fat is like calling The Rock fat because he is big.

Well tux. I guess your his yes man these days... we've all seen his pictures....but we're listening.

************* said:
callmefence said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
another viewpoint....
Cull
Dink
Good start
Oh mama!

What in this world does the fact that your cows eat grass, and trot around when you push on them prove....what???...why don't you just answer a question straight. ??? Your just not capable of seeing the truth..you see your cattle on paper. But you sell bulls for slightly about sale barn prices , and have to mount a advertising campaign to get em sold.
It's what we call pasture blind.

Fence,

His cattle are robust but honestly not as over conditioned as they appear in the photos he posts here. I took a few shots of them with my IPhone 8 and they look no more filled out than some of my own cows. As I mentioned previously we don't have scales so I have no clue how much some of our bigger gals weigh but I do see a difference in cow size with the younger gals that were sired the SAV Bismarck bull and raised on the farm.

Back in 2012 I came across the registration papers to a group of purchased heifers that my in-laws bought in the early '90's. There were lots of names in the bunch that I recognized as being from well known cow families and the decedents of these cows tend to be larger in frame. I have no doubt if we grained them year round they'd really fill out.

Up until Branded came along I never really gave cow size or how much it took to maintain them on the farm much thought but it's something I might start paying attention to in the future.

Then again, I might not.

I'm not sure I have this operation's permission, J.J. Scheckel, Performance Angus Genetics,but all photos were taken via screenshot on Facebook and Instagram, and are being reshared here because I have a lot of admiration for their program.

Now with that out of the way. This discussion about "moderate" cattle and how should we say, "delicate" bulls, needs a refreshing.

This is a REAL BULL, all this high CED, LOW BW, "MODERATE" stuff you guys post would be in intensive care if they attempted to perform like this bull does during a breeding season, and especially in the conditions he runs in.

This bull hit my radar recently, and he is DIESEL! He would mop the floor with most bulls out there, and has proven that he can.

[image]347[/image]

If most people in my area would use bulls like this, they would see their cattle business change in a very positive way. Unfortunately, they are too concerned with being "moderate" in their operations.

[image]351[/image]
[image]350[/image]
[image]349[/image]
[image]348[/image]

Here is a link to their Facebook page. As per the post SAV Elongate 7901. In his work clothes. He is the full flush brother to the $800,000 record selling AI bull, SAV Elation 7899.

What really stands out with him, is he has maintained his flesh for the 2nd year now, like no other, this is cell phone pictures today, after running in tough, steep, rocky conditions for over 90 days with 40 cows.

https://www.facebook.com/jjscheckelangus/posts/1125155621027553

This folks is what a REAL BULL looks like. Don't be swayed by misinformation.

callmefence said:
************* said:
callmefence said:

What in this world does the fact that your cows eat grass, and trot around when you push on them prove....what???...why don't you just answer a question straight. ??? Your just not capable of seeing the truth..you see your cattle on paper. But you sell bulls for slightly about sale barn prices , and have to mount a advertising campaign to get em sold.

Let me get this straight, one should be in the cattle business and NOT advertise?

What are your suggestions Fence, put them in a pen beside the road, and put up a cardboard sign on a tobacco stick that has "bulls 4 sale" scribbled with a marker?

Keep one's market to a 5 mile radius?

************* said:
callmefence said:
************* said:

Let me get this straight, one should be in the cattle business and NOT advertise?

What are your suggestions Fence, put them in a pen beside the road, and put up a cardboard sign on a tobacco stick that has "bulls 4 sale" scribbled with a marker?

We've never advertised in four generation's. I've already told you my uncle raises and sells Angus bulls. He doesn't advertise, course he's been doing it a while. Me and my boys go to work everyday with no advertising . We've been around for a while and are known for quality and honesty. But the fact remains that you keep sidestepping the questions. Even though I'm answering yours. Our you out up pics of someone else's cattle.. LoL, that's hilarious. You keep sidestepping cowboy. There's a corner back their somewhere.

callmefence said:
************* said:
callmefence said:

We've never advertised in four generation's. I've already told you my uncle raises and sells Angus bulls. He doesn't advertise, course he's been doing it a while. Me and my boys go to work everyday with no advertising . We've been around for a while and are known for quality and honesty. But the fact remains that you keep sidestepping the questions. Even though I'm answering yours. Our you out up pics of someone else's cattle.. LoL, that's hilarious. You keep sidestepping cowboy. There's a corner back their somewhere.

Be careful Fence, Ebenezer will jump on here and accuse you of riding on "Daddy's" coattails, especially since it's 4 generations. You just told us all on CT that you didn't build your business from scratch.

I want to clap my hands for you, but I think that the notion of not advertising is nonsense. You advertise here on CT, on the down low, just by the things you have posted on CT. You offered to fence my farm. That's a form of online advertising.

I guess I should applaud your ability to remain obscure, but Branded has bigger goals.

Advertising has worked wonders for SAV, wouldn't you say?

One mans trash another's treasure.
I will pass on him nowhere does that phenotype fit with me.

It's like the little boy that kissed the calf on the a$$ everyone to their own taste.

He sorta been misrepresented in that video.. I posted it a few years back. Most of his life was spent being collected...if he was on pasture with the gals for any length of time he'd lose that tubby look...

elkwc said:
With this discussion about moderate cows I would like to hear others opinions on what they consider moderate. I have found it varies greatly from breeder to breeder. Some feel it is frame size only, others think both frame size and weight. I've seen 1,400 called moderate and I've seen 1,150 called moderate. I've seen frame size 4.5 called moderate by some and short by others. I've seen frame size 6.0 alled moderate. Would like too see the opinions of those on this board.
The order buyers are the ones to ask.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Hmmm - I posted but it disappeared.
Ebenezer: "We've tracked the opposite. It depends on how they are developed after weaning. FS at weaning is going to be more accurate than mature FS."
I do not understand this statement.
Frame score at a young/younger age is an "indication" of what the animal will be as an adult/mature animal. This is only accurate as a prediction, if the animal is on the same level of nutrition from birth to adult age. The only reason you would get a frame score at a young age is to give you an idea what it SHOULD be as an adult.
TT: I like your descriptions LOL
I guess for our situation, the mother's milk and spring to summer forage is a good as it will get. WW and WH are good data because folks sell most calves here at weaning or shortly after. Once they wean and go to pastures for development they have to endure the summer slump and go on stockpiled fescue. I seldom see YH match FSs to the WH; Usually a half FS or more lower on the FS for the YH. Maybe the cows catch back up by 4 to 5YO but ideal size is big enough to raise a calf to excite an order buyer and not too big to eat too many groceries and all including her to breed back on time. Cows that do so are FS 4.5 to 6 and can range too low at 1050 and can be too big over 1450. Somewhat of a commercial view.

By my math a 2000 lb cow doesn't make calves that will qualify for CAB. I guess if Angus really wants to become the Simmental or Charolais of the '80's they will need to change their CAB requirements.